first Accredited PhD Program in Clinical Hypnotherapy in the United States?

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by laferney, Apr 29, 2017.

  1. laferney

    laferney Active Member

    The National Board of Professional and Ethical standards is proud to have available the first Accredited PhD Program in Clinical Hypnotherapy in the United States and for under $1,000.00* says it's website at: PhD Program
    They leave you guessing as to which accredited university this is or which accredited agency. This to me implies not regionally accredited.
    Does anyone know what university they have that awards this degree?
  2. Steve Levicoff

    Steve Levicoff Well-Known Member

    . . . and it's so obviously a scam that it's funny in a pathetic sort of way.

    Hey, maybe if I call it a scam again they'll sue me, and we can really have some fun.

    It's also a fraud, a rip-off, a sham, a con, a swindle, and pure chicanery. And, as Barnum would say, it's hokum. :naughty:
  3. Garp

    Garp Well-Known Member

    Hypnosis is legitimate and has a lot of scientific study behind it. It is used by Psychiatrists, Psychologists and other mental health practitioners. That said, it is not well regulated (with the exception of a few states).

    There is no accredited doctorate in hypnosis. You may be able to create one at Union (if you still can designs a program) or focus a dissertation on it. I doubt the alleged doctorate will come from any school accredited by a US Dept of Ed or CHEA recognized agency.
  4. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Of course it won't. If you read the blurb (that's for you to decide), you'll see that the org. itself is accredited by the AAHEA.

    You won't find that on CHEA's list of recognized accreditors. Not RA, not NA...whatever.

    IIRC a fellow named "Doc" Brady is a past President of the AAHEA. Also an former policeman and a hypnotist, he's the (retired) FOUNDER of the National Board of Professional and Ethical Standards - says so on the site. Another director was a VP of AAHEA during "Doc's" days there, IIRC. There's a semi-famous, 15-page thread on AAHEA over at the sister-site. It's called "AAHEA Accreditation Splooie" if you have time...

    Doggone! How could the other old-timers (besides Dr. Steve) here have missed this one? :laugh:

    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  5. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

  6. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    AAHEA spells out its full name as "American Association for Higher Education & Non-Governmental Accreditation." Yes, small letters as shown. See for yourself - here's the page:

    Well, the required? disclaimer leaves no doubt, I guess. :smile:

    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  7. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member

    Southwest University used to have a PhD in Hypnotherapy in its pre-accreditation days.
  8. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

  9. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Clinical Hypnotherapy doctorates in the US have a history of always being unaccredited:
    The page has, I think, useful info on legit. Clinical Hypnotherapy degrees available overseas, including UK.

    I also glanced through a couple of doctoral dissertations involving (but not exclusively devoted to) clinical hypnotherapy, from the school I believe to be the OP's doctoral alma mater, Universidad Central de Nicaragua. Perhaps a degree program could be worked out there - Dr. Laferney would know that possibility better than I would. :smile:

    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  10. laferney

    laferney Active Member

    They said the first accredited program in the USA-Johann has identified the accrediting agency AAHEA. Can anyone name the 'university" that awards the degree?
  11. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    As you've clearly noted, the university is not mentioned on the "National Board's" website. Outside of idle curiosity it hardly matters since it wouldn't be a legitimate degree anyway. I have not yet checked to see if there are doctoral degrees offered by any non-US universities. I would think not, but who knows?
  12. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

  13. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Especially on Sept 31, right?


    Forum-inside joke. Old-timers will get this. Others - don't worry. Fuhgeddaboudit! :smile:
  14. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  15. b4cz28

    b4cz28 Active Member

    Wow, he calls himself a Psychologist in the top header, I'm certain that's a crime in Florida (I take that back, you never know about FL).
    Doc Brady | Official Site
  16. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    "Psychologist" is generally not a regulated title. There are scores of academic psychologists who are very much psychologists. They just don't engage in work for which a license is required.

    Florida regulates the title "Licensed Psychologist." I've seen a few others regulate "Clinical Psychologist."

    But an I/O Psychologist is still a psychologist. And I've pointed before to the New York civil service which has an "Associate Psychologist" who is, by definition, an unlicensed psychologist working under the guidance of a licensed psychologist.

    Aside from this he would run afoul of the law if he engaged in any work that required a psychology license. Many forms of consulting, particularly in a corporate setting, do not require a license.

    It's actually an area with lots of grey space where charlatans can, largely, operate unhindered by the law unless they clearly step over some pretty well defined lines. Beyond those, however, there is plenty of room to wiggle. Life coaching is simply the newest and trendiest at the moment.
  17. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Why does there need to be a whole doctorate in hypnotherapy? That's the equivalent of completing a whole doctorate in prescribing antibiotics. It's one tool in a bag of tools.
  18. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    I agree with this.
  19. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    It's a regulated title, here. No licence = no practice. I'm not surprised - Canada has an incredible number of regulations and I'm 100% OK with that, when it comes to treating people for mental OR physical difficulties. Here's a quote from the Canadian Psychological Association:

    "A psychologist holds a master’s and/or doctoral degree in psychology that involves from 6 to 10 years of university study of how people think, feel and behave. Psychologists who hold doctoral degrees, can use the title ‘Dr.’. Psychologists who practice (and hence those who are licensed) typically will have completed their graduate university training in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, clinical neuropsychology or educational/school psychology."

    Well, it seems at least I remember something from those undergrad psych classes... :smile:

    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  20. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    For sure. That's probably why I could find no U.S. degree programs in clinical hypnotherapy, with recognized accreditation. However, if someone wants to add that particular tool to their bag, I did find a Nationally Accredited (A.C.C.E.T) Hypnotherapist program, available by B&M or distance study from Hypnosis Motivation Institute, here: A.C.C.E.T is recognized by USDoE.

    I also found this:

    "Because there are no accredited schools offering standard college or university degrees in hypnosis (the closest is the certificate offered by the Hypnosis Motivation Institute), we recommend that you first get a degree in one of the fields mentioned above, especially medical practitioner, psychological counselor, or social worker (a master’s of social work, or MSW, is an incredibly versatile degree—click here for online MSW programs).

    For example, in pursuing a degree in nursing or psychological counseling, you may (if you’re lucky) be able to enroll for one or two courses devoted to hypnosis (some programs don’t have any such courses). But to learn hypnosis in a way that will best help your patients or clients, you’ll need to do further study."

    That advice is from the "The Best Schools" site. It includes other learning opportunities in hypnosis and education preferred, for people wishing to enter the field in a professional capacity. The advice on the "Best Schools" page sounds good, to me. I hope it's of use to someone. At least HMI has USDoE recognized accreditation - and Federal Financial Aid.

    The Best Programs for Clinical Hypnosis: How to Become a Professional Hypnotherapist | The Best Schools

    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017

Share This Page