UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by AsianStew, Aug 11, 2023.

  1. AsianStew

    AsianStew Moderator Staff Member

    Hello AsianStew,

    I hope you are doing well.

    Since you are very active in the sister forum that is more dedicated to completing undergrad degrees, I would like to share the Universidad Virtual del Estado de Guanajuato. It is an official online university from the state of Guanajuato in Mexico that provides a lot of degrees at a very affordable price. For example, you can study a Bachelor in Computer Systems Engineering for 18 dollars per course. Based on the information provided by them, you take one course at a time and it takes one month to complete.

    If a person speaks Spanish, it might be a great place to earn a degree.

    I hope the forum finds it useful.

    Have a great day!

    Virtual University of the State of Guanajuato Link: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/
    Computer Systems Engineering Link: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/info-isc

    So, anyone want to dig deeper into this? Seems like an interesting offering for the price...

    I went online and did a quick glance on this particular program, there are 41 courses.
    First 5 courses you have to do 1/month, all subsequent courses can be double-downed.
    That means you can finish in exactly 23 months the entire program from 0 to 41.
    Dustin, RoscoeB and Johann like this.
  2. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    $18 a course? That's $738 for the entire degree program! 41 courses. This is worth checking into. I'm on it.
  3. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

  4. Messdiener

    Messdiener Active Member

    Nice find, @AsianStew.

    Not only are there a number of Bachelor-level programs, but this Mexican university also offers half a dozen Master's-level degrees as well. They're limited to only three fields though: health, education, and business. For those interested though, perhaps those programs would be worth a look.
    RoscoeB likes this.
  5. Rachel83az

    Rachel83az Well-Known Member

    Looks like it might be a bit difficult (impossible?) for non-Mexicans:

    As far as I can tell, non-Mexicans not residing in Mexico cannot get a CURP. https://www.topmexicorealestate.com/blog/2017/06/how-to-get-a-curp/

    It looks like the entrance exam may also be an in-person thing.

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    RoscoeB and Messdiener like this.
  7. manuel

    manuel Member

    The CURP does not apply to non-Mexicans and people living abroad just need an ID that is legal in the foreign country. The difficult part is the evaluation of foreign degrees and high school diplomas because they must be translated and could take a while.

    The entrance exam is not in person. It is just an online exam that serves as a placement exam that could allow you to pass the first 3 courses. If you fail the EXO or "Examen de Ubicación", you just need to take the first 3 courses.

    It is a fully online university. The Ph.D. in Innovation is online. However, those classes are in Spanish.

    The FAQ page has more information.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    RoscoeB likes this.
  8. Rachel83az

    Rachel83az Well-Known Member

    The FAQ is much more helpful, yes.

    Of course, the process to actually get your degree when you don't live in Mexico looks super annoying (last FAQ).
    Johann likes this.
  9. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    It sure does. I think I'd have to hire a consultant - or get permission to live in Mexico, for a while. Might be easier.
    Rachel83az likes this.
  10. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    But at least they're not selling apostilles. :) That'd be a deal-breaker. Probably a lot (or maybe all?) of the hassle is required by Mexican law. I'm sure it's quite unlike that 'other' Mexican University we've discussed -- where you go through all the hoops and you STILL don't get your degree. You know the one. Starts with "A."

    All in all, I think this could be a very good deal for smart, Spanish-speaking people, who live anywhere that a standard Mexican degree would be accepted. And that should be most places - this is not a $200 propio concocted by a private b-school and a cash-strapped Uni.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    RoscoeB, datby98 and Rachel83az like this.
  11. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    By the way - they list the programs that are officially validated here, with validation details: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/
    I didn't check for the RVOE numbers but I'm sure they're there somewhere. Make sure of RVOE Check before you sign up.
  12. datby98

    datby98 Active Member

    Is the cost in Mexican Peso or US$?
  13. datby98

    datby98 Active Member

    I even do not have a Birth Certificate.... Just being too old to the world...
  14. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Mexico uses the $ sign for pesos. I'm positive it's pesos. It's the only way it makes sense. 1,000 pesos = $58.78 US. Sounds about right for what's here.
    I didn't get mine till I was over 60 - to prove my age for pension. I wasborn in England and adopted, as a baby - I found out I was adopted when I was 47. What I got at 60-odd was a "certificate of adoption" that showed my actual birth date and my adopted name. I got a copy of my "real" birth certificate. showing my birth mother's name and my birth name, when I was in my 70s. Thanks to Ancestry and kind, distant relatives, I know what sort of DNA I have (All European - mostly English and the usual Invaders). I also know much of the history of my birth mother's family for the last 170 years or so. My biological father? No idea. My birth mother did not want his name on my birth certificate.

    I'm hoping he was a wandering musician. That would explain a lot of things.... :)
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  15. AsianStew

    AsianStew Moderator Staff Member

    It should be in Mexican Peso...
  16. Rachel83az

    Rachel83az Well-Known Member

    Even if you have one, if you've ever moved away from the area where you were born, getting a copy of your birth certificate is such a hassle. At least in the US.

    If this were a European university with the same requirements, the birth certificate would probably need to have been printed in the last 6 months, too. That is SO annoying.
  17. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    It certainly is. And costly, too some places. IIRC I paid $35 or a bit more for my UK one - and that was a few years ago. Having to fork out for the same thing two or more times --- irksome, to say the least.

    Canadian birth certificates are Provincial. Ontario's are plastic cards. I'm not positive, but I don't think the cards have date of issue on them. Anyway, I can't see a need for it - in Canada, at least.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    Rachel83az likes this.
  18. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    I was wrong. They do. I just checked -- couldn't get under the wire of the 10 min timer. Mi dispiace.
    Rachel83az likes this.
  19. nosborne48

    nosborne48 Well-Known Member

    Now Johann, tell the truth. Wasn't part of the cost for your birth certificate finding someone to translate it from Norman French??;)
    Johann and Rachel83az like this.
  20. nosborne48

    nosborne48 Well-Known Member

    Mine is in Chinook Jargon...

Share This Page