Should there be a uniform "first professional degree" for teachers?

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by Docere, Aug 26, 2013.

  1. Docere

    Docere Member

    Professional first-entry bachelor's degrees generally aren't classified as first professional degrees.
  2. Rich Douglas

    Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

    Oh, I agree. And adjusting my comment for sarcasm would illustrate that.
  3. CalDog

    CalDog New Member

    Regardless of the exact classification, the point is that "professional first-entry bachelor's degrees" with uniform, nationally-recognized accreditation work just fine for engineers, architects, and nurses. So maybe this is a model that might work for teachers as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  4. Docere

    Docere Member

    I thought the 5-year B.Arch. had been phased out and replaced by the M.Arch. (though I see your point).
  5. CalDog

    CalDog New Member

    The B.Arch. and M.Arch. are both currently accepted as first professional degrees in architecture.

    With the M.Arch. route, you can major in whatever you like in college, as long as you take certain prerequisites. Then you go to grad school for the professional training. This follows the law or medical school model.

    With the B.Arch. route, you get the professional training as an undergraduate, with no need for grad school. But since architecture is a demanding major, you don't get much flexibility in your undergraduate studies. This follows the engineering or nursing school model.

    They are both considered valid and equivalent paths to licensure by NAAB (the accrediting agency). The M.Arch. route takes longer, but gives you more freedom to study different things at the undergraduate level. With the B.Arch route, you lose that freedom, but you get the professional training faster.

    The B.Arch. route is older, but the M.Arch. route has gained in popularity in recent years. There are plenty of schools for either option.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  6. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    In a recent thread I was educated on this topic. In this matter the states rule and the feds drool. Changing that would be virtually impossible.
  7. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    But, don't you see? This is clearly a commerce clause issue. Any given school uses a variety of books, supplies, and test materials. I would highly doubt that any school has only in-state products. Because purchasing out-of-state materials requires interstate commerce, the feds can clearly do whatever they want. And if they print their own materials for school, then by failing to purchase commercially-published texts, they are affecting interstate commerce.

  8. priyanka741

    priyanka741 member

    Every states have different eligibility criteria for education post if you interested in teaching job then check updated recruitment notification by state wise and apply if you are eligible for particular post

    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013

Share This Page