M.Ed Degrees

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by elevation02, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. 2peaches2oranges

    2peaches2oranges New Member

    Ohio Valley

    Thank you. They have NOT responded to my email which asked several question not clear from the website!
  2. FLA Expatriate

    FLA Expatriate New Member

    I know one of the professors involved with this program. Will try to get back in a few days. May I PM you?
  3. 2peaches2oranges

    2peaches2oranges New Member


    Yes, I PM'ed you too.
  4. guz19

    guz19 New Member

    TUI University

    Hi All,

    I am currently taking a Business Law Applications class at Amberton, however, in the summer I might be looking for another program that has a Masters in Ed.
    Anyone know about TUI? Good or Bad. There prices seem close to Ambertons, but that is all I really know.
  5. willard

    willard New Member

    i've got a similar problem: i applied at hill university for a master's degree in education (i've finished university in germany and have been a teacher for politics, economics and philosophy at a senior hight school) so in facht i've got the german equivalent of a master's degree

    as i'd like to work on a self-employed basis i'd like to have a degree to inform people what kind of service they mitght expect

    does anybody know anything about that hill university?
    is it worth spending all that money for a degree that's worth next to nothing?
  6. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    Hi Willard - I don't know anything about anyplace called hill university. Can you give us a link to this school?
  7. willard

    willard New Member

  8. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    I'm not a degree mill expert but I've never heard of Hill University and I've never heard of the organizations that allegedly accredit Hill University. With so many other choices available why would you choose one that's in doubt.
  9. Go_Fishy

    Go_Fishy New Member

    Google doesn't find a Hill University...

    No. ;)
  10. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

    A few things make me just a bit suspicious about your post. First you say that you are seeking a master's degree in education, but later you say that you have the German equivalent of a master's degree. Further, you ask about a "university" that claims "accreditation" from two unrecognized "accreditation agencies." Hmm. :confused:
  11. 2peaches2oranges

    2peaches2oranges New Member

  12. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

  13. Go_Fishy

    Go_Fishy New Member

    I can shed some light on some of these issues. Traditional German university programs combine undergraduate and graduate studies, and lead to a degree called "Diplom" (diploma - a degree, not a piece of paper) or Magister Artium/Scientiarum (Latin for Master of Arts/Sciences).

    If you want to teach in the highest tier of the German three-tier secondary school system, you need a special type of degree, "Staatsexamen" (state examination) in the subjects you want to teach. This degree is what the OP has. It is essentially a master's degree with a little less coursework in the major(s) and less research, but with teaching practica and extra coursework in pedagogy.

    This degree is, however, *not* a graduate degree in education. Plus, no one in the US understands the old German degree system (understandably so..;)). So it might make sense for the OP to get additional credentials from a US university.
  14. 2peaches2oranges

    2peaches2oranges New Member

    Updating with more info...

    I updated the information in red. The Dean responded to my questions so I filled in the additional information. Looks like a great program!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  15. mintaru

    mintaru Member

    But what you wrote is not fully true! ;)
    The Magister Scientiarum was a very common degree at Austrian universities were the Diplom degree was only offered in engineering, but at German universities it is virtually unknown since the Diplom is the only traditional German degree in the sciences. In East Germany, the Diplom even was the only first degree at all, so every German teacher who was educated in East Germany - and there are quite a few in the former East German states of todays Germany - has a Diplom degree instead of a Staatsexamen. (This even applies to all lawyers and physicians who were trained in former East Germany. Both professions require their own type of Staatsexamen in reunited Germany.) And: You need that special type of degree, (Staatsexamen) at all three tiers of the German three-tier secondary school system. However, there actually are three different types of Staatsexamen in education, one for every tier of the German secondary school system. But you're right, only the Staatsexamen for the highest of the three tiers is considered equivalent to a (German) Master's degree.

    So it certainly is no surprise that no one in the US understands the old German degree system, even some Germans do not fully understand it. The problem is that this also seems to be true for the addmission departments of some US universities...

    @willard: I wouldn't choose Hill University. There are much better options. No matter what university you will choose it should be RA or NA, at least. But if it is not absolutly impossible that you will go back to Germany somewhere down the road, then your choice should be a degree from an university with RA since NA isn't recognized here and the use of degrees from Hill University even is illegal!

    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  16. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

    Thank you! $350 x 36 = $12,600 and $125 x 12 = $1500 for a total of $14,100. Not bad. Regionally accredited by the North Central Association.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  17. Go_Fishy

    Go_Fishy New Member

    Well, I didn't want to complicate matters even more. Obviously, things are a little more complex, but I thought if I presented people with a nice M.A./M.S. model, everyone would be happy. ;)

    Well, like you said, there is a big difference between the three types of Staatsexamen: only the Gymnasium teaching degree (highest secondary-school tier) is comparable to a degree in the actual disciplines to be taught. The other two focus a lot more on education and pedagogy, and are thus more closely related to education degrees.

    Yes, and the real beauty begins when you start combining things from two systems. I skipped my Magister thesis and degree and went straight into my doctoral thesis because I already had a Master's degree from a US university. I was admitted to the American grad school because of my coursework in Germany, but of course I didn't have a B.A. And currently I am talking to the University of Illinois to waive my undergraduate requirements for an M.A. program on the basis that I already have a Master's and am in a doctoral program (I do meet the requirements of course, I just want to avoid the hassle of having the German coursework evaluated and all). I'm a huge headache for any admissions advisor... :D
  18. FLA Expatriate

    FLA Expatriate New Member

    Ah, great! Glad it worked out.
  19. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

    From the Great State of Arizona

    International Baptist College www.ibconline.edu offers an MEd based on one- and two-week modular classes taken in January and June. At $280/hour, this 33-hour program costs $9,240. They are accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.
  20. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

    From the Great State of Florida

    Trinity Baptist College www.tbc.edu has distance learning offerings for the MEd Bible Education, MEd Classroom Practices, MEd School Administration, and the MEd Special Education. At $280/hour, these 36-hour programs cost a total of $10,080. They are accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.

Share This Page