Backdoor to graduate school

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by KariS, Aug 19, 2012.

  1. KariS

    KariS New Member

    I have seen alot of threads about getting into graduate school without taking the GRE/GMAT/etc. Well apparently at some school it is possible. By enrolling for a certificate program and getting good grades, some schools will then allow you to transfer to the full masters program. Missouri S&T will alow this.
  2. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    Yes, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find this to be true.
  3. BlueMason

    BlueMason Audaces fortuna juvat does make sense - get admitted to a graduate certificate/diploma and show good grades and a school may waive the GRE/GMAT requirement for the graduate degree... I would think it wise to check with the chosen University to ensure they would entertain the notion, though...

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    I agree with your post; there are certain school do not require GRE/GMAT for its own graduates (i.e: from previous degree level). The George Mason University's School of Engineering and Information Technology is one of them. Also Perdue University and MIT do not require GRE for their Ph.D in Engineering/Computer Science programs.
  5. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    I'm not the spelling police, Tekman, but that was pretty funny. Purdue University is the well-regarded school in Indiana, here: Purdue University

    Frank Perdue, 1920 - 2005, was the famous chicken tycoon, here: Frank Perdue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The Frank Perdue School of Business is at Salisbury University. Many years ago, Mr. Perdue left the University after his sophomore year, to become the third employee in his father's chicken business.

    I don't think one generally needed the GRE/GMAT to work for Frank, or his father. :jester:

    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  6. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

  7. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Honest, Ted! My pistol, uniform and "shootin' bifocals" have been in the back shed, gathering dust forever! :jester:

    I just poke my head out once or twice a year when I can take somebody's innocent error and turn it into something ridic... I mean humorous, or potentially interesting to someone, somewhere -- at least, I hope it is!

    No harm intended. :)

  8. NMTTD

    NMTTD Member

    University of Denver doesn't require it. Neither does University of South Florida, Arizona State University, and Syracuse (in certain programs). You have to do A LOT of searching, but the good schools sometimes don't require it. Other schools, like Troy, won't require it if you already have a Master's degree. And then, yes, there are schools that won't require it if you get into the grad certificate program and do very well. Plus, there's always schools like Walden, Capella, AMU/APU, etc that don't require it, either.

Share This Page