Master's in Christian Spirituality

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Michael, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Member

Besides philosophy, I am also interested in a master's in Christian Spirituality. Does anyone know of degree programs in this? I am already aware of UNISA's program.

2. Ted Heiks

Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member

Spring Arbor University www.arbor.edu offers a Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation and Leadership in hybrid format. Creighton University www.creighton.edu offers a Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality by summers only. Courses are offered in four-week sessions and there are two sessions per summer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  3. Michael

Michael Member

Thanks, Ted, for the information!

4. ewillmon

ewillmon New Member

Northwest Nazarine University also has a Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation which is online.

The University of Wales Lampeter also has various Masters Degrees which can be tailored around Christian Spirituality. Check them out here.

You could also check out Bakers Guide for a whole list of Christian degrees available by distance learning.

5. ewillmon

ewillmon New Member

Oh, I found another interesting degree from the UK. An MA in Christian Spirituality from Sarum College. This degree seems to requires travel to the UK for six week-long periods, but that would be ok, if you could afford it.

6. Ted Heiks

Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member

7. Michael

Michael Member

I'm almost certain I am going to apply for UNISA's MTh in Christian Spirituality. I'm still considering University of Pretoria, if they will allow a totally external Master's. I'm not sure about Pretoria's fees, but I imagine UNISA is less expensive.

Thanks to all who have responded to me, here and in my MDiv thread.

8. telefax

telefax Member

Congratulations! Let everyone know how the program is once you start.

9. Michael

Michael Member

Thanks, Dave; I will. :)

10. ewillmon

ewillmon New Member

Are you looking to do the degree with the structured option or the dissertation only option? Just curious.

Best wishes for you whatever you decide.

11. Michael

Michael Member

I'd prefer the dissertation only option, but I'm open to either.

Thanks for your well-wishes. :)

12. Haggai12

Haggai12 Member

Unisa, et al..

Michael,

Unisa is a very solid program. So is Pretoria, but make sure about any residency requirements before beginning, as some do have this element.

Of note about the major SAf programs:

Unisa -- Ecumenical, with a Liberal taint (depending upon your supervisor); no residency requirement.

Pretoria -- Mostly Dutch Reformed, very solid, but could also lean Liberal

SA Theol Seminary -- About the same price; programs are fully DEd and the faculty is Conservative and Evanglical.

Best wishes!!

13. Kizmet

Kizmet Moderator

I wouldn't be too surprised if Pretoria was less expensive. Several years ago UNISA began charging a fee for students outside of South Africa. I do not believe that Pretoria has a similar fee. In any case it's only a few hundred dollars.

14. Michael

Michael Member

Thanks form your reply and the info.

these are the three I had narrowed it to, but I thought SATS would be more expensive, as they require payment for two years - that is, $1400 for each of two years, total $2800.

I've tried to figure the fees for Pretoria from their website, but I'm somewhat confused; looks like it might be about $2000 for the MTh.

UNISA, I'm not sure, but the Canadian rep. says $1473, I think.

15. RoscoeB

RoscoeB Senior Member

I'm wrapping up my PhD in Church History at Pretoria. Price was under $3,000. No campus visits required. Defence will be done by phone. My topic is on a Pentecostal healing evangelist. My program was thesis only. In addition to the thesis, it required one article published in an accredited journal. Journal accreditation is apparently a S. African thing.

Roscoe

16. Michael

Michael Member

Thanks for the valuable information, Roscoe!