UA Considers Consolidating UAGC Into UA Proper

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Jonathan Whatley, Apr 17, 2024.

  1. Jonathan Whatley

    Jonathan Whatley Well-Known Member

    University of Arizona Eyes Consolidation With UAGC: The deal, subtly mentioned in a letter to Arizona’s governor, left more questions than answers as the university remains under fire. (Lauren Coffey, Inside Higher Ed, March 7, 2024)
    sanantone likes this.
  2. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    That would be a win for Ashford alumni, anyway.
    Jonathan Whatley likes this.
  3. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Does that mean no more paying UAGC adjunct faculty a measly $20 per hour? LOL
    Jonathan Whatley likes this.
  4. Vicki

    Vicki Well-Known Member

    I have no skin in the game with UA, but I hope they make it work. Penn State’s model is One Penn State. It doesn’t matter if you studied online, main campus or one of the satellites, it’s all the same. Your degree will say The Pennsylvania State University. They do actually have different tuition rates and main campus is harder to get in, but the piece of paper all says the same thing.
    INTJ and Johann like this.
  5. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Good. I think anything else is short-changing a grad. It's as bad as printing "Online" on the diploma. The entire "Global / Global Campus" or "Extension School" concept stinks. It's blatant discrimination. If I lived near one of those schools I'd be carrying a sign in demonstrations. People would probably think I was Bernie Sanders. It might add some gravitas - and wouldn't bother me a bit. :)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  6. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    I certainly agree when it comes to needlessly highlighting the mode of instruction, but I'll push back a little in that an extension school really can be a different beast than other schools that are under a university's umbrella. I'll point to Georgetown rather than Harvard since the incredibly stupid nomenclature of the latter is so annoying.
  7. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Yes, it is annoying. Harvard was the first school that came to mind. How does Georgetown do it? I know there are four colleges within Georgetown. but this is all I found on the subject of diplomas:

    Georgetown Diploma
    All Georgetown University graduates earn the official Georgetown diploma, written in Latin, reflecting the history, tradition, and values of the University. Graduates will also receive a traditional blue and gray ribbon to display alongside their diploma.

    Don't online grads get a Latin diploma from Georgetown U.? Do the diplomas say "colligatus" or possibly "conexus" (online)? :)

    Enquiring minds want to know. I LIKE schools that award diplomas in Latin.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  8. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    I don't know what their diplomas look like, but I do know that while the degrees earned through the School of Continuing Studies are different than those earned elsewhere at Georgetown, they are not in "Extension Studies" or anything ridiculous like that. They have a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies with a variety of concentrations (only online), a bunch of Master's programs that are all Master of Professional Studies in whatever (some online, some on campus), and a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies and Doctor of Liberal Studies (on campus).
  9. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    I think these are two separate issues. Extension schools, schools of professional studies, and schools of continuing education are a part of the university. Global campuses are sometimes the name for the online division of a university, and the transcript won't notate that the degree was earned online or at the "global campus." Usually, though, a global campus is a completely separate university with its own accreditation and leadership team, such as UAGC, UMGC, CSU Global, and UMass Global. I still think it's stupid to put "global" in the name of an online university because that tells the world that the degree was earned online.

    I'm not completely sure, but I think Penn State might be an outlier when it comes to including completely separate institutions within a university system under one name for degree purposes. I actually have no issue with separate institutions within a university system having their own name on the diplomas and transcripts.

    In some cases, it might work against you to just have the generic system name on a transcript. For example, let's pretend that the University of Texas just put "University of Texas" on all of its diplomas. That might be great in some fields. People might think you went to the highly-regarded UT Austin. But let's say that you earned a graduate degree in criminal justice from University of Texas at Dallas. I think you'd want your transcript to say that because UTD has the ranked CJ department, UT Austin doesn't.
  10. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    I do, now - I just looked it up. Just the same as the on-campus ones -- and IN LATIN
    Partial pic and full writeup here: Yay Georgetown! Go Hoyas!

    A Quote:
    "Students pursuing online master’s degrees through Georgetown’s School of Continuing Studies sometimes ask if their diplomas will look the same as those earned by students attending traditional classes.

    The simple answer is, “yes.” They will look the same. Indeed, they are the same."
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  11. TEKMAN

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    They are the same, but the degree title are different

    This degree title will distinguish it from the rest of the university's schools and colleges.
    • Bachelor of Liberal Arts
    • Master of Liberal Arts
    • Doctor of Liberal Arts
    • Master of Professional Studies
    My best friend's wife earned her Doctor of Medicine degree from Medicine School, and we received the same diploma except for the degree title. However, the degree is in Latin, so neither Graduate nor anyone else knows how to read.

  12. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    But I do. It says it's from the School of Continuing Studies - and the degree is Master of Professional Studies.

    Whoa!! This was not my understanding. I thought they said Online grads received "the same" diploma as on-campus grads. School of Conntinuing Studies is NOT the same. It's almost like "Georgetown Global" or something.

    I'll bet your friend's wife's Medical Diploma doesn't say "School of Continuing Studies" or "Doctor of Professional Something-or Other!"

    I'm NOT happy with this - at all. It's like (gasp!) Harvard!
  13. Acolyte

    Acolyte Active Member

    It may be that we are finally reaching a point with online instruction where it is no longer considered an inferior mode of instruction, especially since so many of our actual "real world" interactions occur through some kind of online or technology-mediated channel. Also, the "prestige factor" of a brick and mortar institution and institutional experience is kind of lost on younger generations. They just don't care, nor see any real added value it.
  14. TEKMAN

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    I was saying the same is the same format, just not from the same school. I went to Georgetown University's Business School Alumni network; they invited everyone in the region including Georgetown College grads. I was the only one who graduated from SCS. It was a fun dinner and merchandise.
  15. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Ok - that's what YOU meant, by "the same."The SCHOOL didn't specify that. They should have made it clear. They didn't - they buried the truth in Latin bafflegab that only fools like me still read. School of Continuing Studies - might as well be "online" or "Georgetown Global"- or Harvard-style "GES" (Georgetown Extension School.)

    It is NOT "the same." It is NOT a diploma from Georgetown University - any more than a HES diploma is one from Harvard University. Only difference: Harvard specifically tells you that. Georgetown doesn't.
    Glad you enjoyed. I hope they included the cost in your tuition. They should have. Not the sort of thing I go to school for, but
    de gustibus non est disputandum. (You can look it up.)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  16. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

  17. Jonathan Whatley

    Jonathan Whatley Well-Known Member

    Harvard University issues all HES bachelor's and master's degrees under the name "Harvard University" (alternately in English or Latin). Non-degree certificate program graduates get a diploma under the name "Harvard University Extension School."
    Johann likes this.
  18. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Thanks, Jonathan. I stand corrected.
  19. Bruce

    Bruce Moderator

    Boston University diplomas all look the same, the CE versions just say “Metropolitan College” where “College of Arts & Sciences” or “College of Engineering” go.
    SteveFoerster and Johann like this.

Share This Page