How can I get a course accredited?

Discussion in 'Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approva' started by Chaya, May 16, 2011.

  1. Chaya

    Chaya New Member

    Hi all!
    I have a Online Graphic Design School. At the moment we are not accredited. The students are gaining employment with their professional portfolios. I would like the students to have the option of receiving RA credits for the courses. Any idea of where I start?

    Thank you,

  2. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

  3. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef

    I hope you completed your state's approval process for operating an institution, it's likely the first step in your state. :) Additionally, you'll need to be up and running for 2 years (as approved) before you can apply for RA/NA. In the meantime, have your courses individually evaluated by ACE for a fraction of the hastle & price, this way your students have the option of seeking an accredited degree on their own and not waste the skills they learned with you. It's not free, but it's valuable.
    FWIF I'm doing this exact process right now (B&M school not DL) and it's a lot of work. Good luck!!
  4. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    You might want to consider approaching local colleges to see if they would be interested in setting up an "articulation agreement", where they agree to accept your school's credit in transfer or as fulfilling various prerequisites. Since you're unaccredited they may not be willing to do so, but if you have a solid track record of job placement, it can't hurt to ask.

    Also, there are accreditors other than the regional ones. If your school is online you could also consider approach DETC, or if it's classroom based you could consider approaching ACCSC or ACICS. (Google them to find them.)

    Finally, you could consider getting your courses evaluated by the American Council for Education, which would make them acceptable in transfer to many other schools.

    Good luck,

  5. Chaya

    Chaya New Member

    Thank you. I will look into the options mentioned.
  6. Agari

    Agari New Member

    Check this link

    There is an organizatiin to accredit training courses

    ANSI Accreditation
  7. b4cz28

    b4cz28 New Member

    I'm just curious, but is it ok for op to post a link to their program and perhaps we can better direct them how to proceed? ANSI (Iacet?) Might be a good choice if you just offering non academic courses.

    Hey call it a religious art and design school and go that route, that was just a joke btw.
  8. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    I wouldn't have minded seeing a link to the school, but it's been nearly five years and I expect OP is long gone.
  9. RAM PhD

    RAM PhD Member

    A quick Google of "Chaya" and "Graphic Design School" brought up this entity. It may not be the OP, but its the same name and type of school.

    About The Designer | Professional Standard Design School
  10. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    I really like the website. Great design, as I see it, not that anybody cares what I think. :smile:
    One caveat - if this is the OP (and I think that's probable) it seems the online approach has been dropped in favour of on-ground.

    (1) No more than 8 students per course, to maximize individual attention.
    (2) Site says "Most of our courses are offered in Ramat Eshkol, Jerusalem."

    I have no useful info to offer on obtaining accreditation in Israel, so I'm out... Appears like sincere effort by a very talented person, though. :smile:

    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  11. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Just so I would know, I looked up Ramat Eshkol, where Professional Standard Design School is. Interesting. Said elsewhere to be popular with an increasing number of well-heeled foreign buyers. I think that was on a real estate site. :smile:

    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  12. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    Another option would be ACE or NCCS. This would result in your course being recommended for college level credit. The school may, or may not, accept it. But acceptance by the "Big 3" (Thomas Edison State University, Charter Oak State College and Excelsior College) is a step in the right direction (and much more affordable for an organization than pursuing institutional accreditation).

Share This Page