Christian counseling PhD

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by jmowery3, Aug 9, 2013.

  1. jmowery3

    jmowery3 New Member

    I am new to the site, and am wondering if anyone can tell me of Christian schools that offer an online PhD in counseling psychology other than Liberty or Regent. I am currently getting my master’s in counseling pscyh from Liberty and want to continue on to possibly become a psychologist. At Liberty or Regent (I think), I would only have to go for another three years to get my doctorate. Does anyone know if I could become a psychologist with a PhD in counseling psych from Liberty? I know it is different in each state, I am just wondering if this degree prepares people to become a psychologist in general. If not, do any of you have ideas on where I could go for another three (not five) years to become a psychologist?
  2. Psydoc

    Psydoc New Member

    The degree at Liberty, which is a degree in Counseling will not allow you to practice Psychology in any state. Ditto for the Counseling & Supervision degree from Regent. I think some states will allow you to practice with a PhD or PsyD from an accredited college but some states require the program to be APA accredited. Most APA approved PhD or PsyD in psychology require three years for the classroom and dissertation and two years internship. I hope this helps.
  3. LGFlood

    LGFlood New Member

    Yes, Psydoc is right. The MA in Counseling program will get you prepared for your LPC (or MFT if you go through their MA in Marriage and Family Therapy.) The PhD will just be a doctorate for those who are already LPC's OR MA graduates in other disciplines to become LPC's (with the addition of some leveling courses before entering the PhD program.)
  4. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    You need a PhD or PsyD in psychology in order to become a psychologist. There is no way around this. As PsyDoc said, neither Liberty nor Regent offer an online doctorate in psychology. Regent does have a campus PsyD in Clinical Psychology. Normally, the programs that prepare you for licensure as a psychologist are labeled as clinical psychology or counseling psychology. There is also licensure for school psychology, but I'm assuming you're not interested in this. A degree in I/O psychology, for example, will not qualify you for licensure. I think there are only one or two states that require APA accreditation, but it's generally not recommended to attend a program that does not have this accreditation.
  5. jmowery3

    jmowery3 New Member

    Thanks for the replies. .. very helpful. I, like a lot of people I imagine, am trying to figure out if I really need to do the extra 2 to 3 years to obtain a PhD in counseling psych. is there really a huge difference in pay? enough anyway for me to justify another 2-3 years in school (without pay) and thirty to fifty thousand in tuition and books and such. Any thoughts?
  6. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

  7. JWC

    JWC New Member

    There are a few inaccuracies posted. Some states will allow one to practice psychology with a master's degree in psychology.
  8. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Which states? I don't know how accurate this is, but I only see that Vermont will let you call yourself a psychologist with a master's degree.

    A school psychologist or specialist in school psychology, psychological associate, psychological assistant, psychological practitioner, psychological technician, and psychological examiner aren't the same as being a counseling or clinical psychologist. If you're talking about a licensed professional counselor or licensed mental health counselor with a degree in psychology, that is also not the same as being a psychologist.
  9. Rich Douglas

    Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

    I could see a Ph.D. in psychology with some sort of emphasis in Christian counseling. But a Ph.D. in that subject? I'm not so sure it is an academic discipline. But.....

    Such a subject would be great for a professional doctorate. Of course, we already have religious-oriented doctorates (like the DMin) that fit the bill.
  10. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    The key phrase was "practice psychology" not be called a psychologist. I know NC has a title/license at the MA/MS level that allows you to "practice psychology."

    As was mentioned, check the requirements for your state. NC for example requires a certain number of credits be "butt-in-seat."

    "North Carolina began licensing psychological associates in 1968, making LPAs the first master’s-level mental health care providers of any discipline to be licensed by the state.

    With legally-mandated supervision, North Carolina’s qualified, licensed, master’s-level psychological associates are allowed to render the same services as PhD-level licensed psychologists. These services include interviewing, administering and interpreting tests of mental abilities, interests, aptitudes and personality characteristics for the purposes of psychological evaluation, educational or vocational selection, personnel selection, guidance or placement. LPAs also counsel clients to help them manage emotional and behavioral problems."

    From: NC LPAs | North Carolina Association of Professional Psychologists
  11. nongard1

    nongard1 Member

    I am an LMFT with a Masters degree from Liberty.

    I wanted my doctorate but I really did not want a degree in "more therapy". . I have described the program as 1/3 social work/community development, 1/3 business management and 1/3 Christian minisitry. It can be earned from any location worldwide (they have a large network of regional mentors and city immersion projects on four continents). For me, it was a fantastic experience and one I feel will benefit my clients, my community and those I have the chance to teach.

    As a therapist, it was the perfect answer for me. The Doctoral Degree for Social Workers and Licensed Counselors | Bakke Graduate University

    As to the OP - you should qualify for licensure asn an LPC and LMFT becasue of your masters degree. As many have pointed out, unless it is an APA psychology degree, there is no benefit beyond that which you already have, with a counseling degree or other degree.

    it is clear the Christian focus is important to you, and you will get that at BGU
  12. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Yes, they can practice psychology under supervision. Excuse my mixing up of practicing psychology with being a psychologist. I did not notice that someone else said you couldn't practice psychology without a doctorate, but my assumption was that the OP wanted to be independent since he or she is looking to get a doctorate in order to become a psychologist.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  13. jmowery3

    jmowery3 New Member

    Nongard1, how long does the DTL program at Bakke usually take?--I checked it out and it looks interesting?
  14. jmowery3

    jmowery3 New Member

    Regent's PhD is looking pretty good to me. I like that it expands on the counselor's knowledge of counseling and supervision skills. I am just a little concerned about whether or not I will be able to work full-time (or part-time for that matter) while going. I have a family and need to make sure I am providing for them while I pursue my dreams. Also, along the same lines, during the internships or practicums, will I be paid at all? Can anyone shed some light on these matters?
  15. graymatter

    graymatter Member

    LU's programs are PhD in Professional Counseling and PhD in Pastoral Counseling.
  16. graymatter

    graymatter Member

    I would say that that is the goal of LU's PhD in Professional Counseling program as well. I'm not sure about Regent's PhD but LU's PhD seems to be growing like a bar of soap.

    Internships and practicums being paid are going to be student-specific and situation-specific. I was paid for both of mine but that's because I was already an LPC with 10 years of experience. Students coming straight from an MA to a PhD program without experience (and a license) are going to have a hard time finding a practicum/internship site that will pay students without being able to bill for their time.
  17. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

    And how does a bar of soap grow?
  18. jmowery3

    jmowery3 New Member

    So, in terms of making money while I'm pursuing my PhD, it might be wise for me to go ahead and get my license and practice a year or two before I pursue it, huh? I guess too , more specifically, are these type of PhD programs designed for working adults? I always read that they are full time, I'm not quite sure what that means. are they full time in the sense that I will be taking a full load of classes or are they full time in the sense that the program will take up most of my time, and I will have little time for anything else. By the way, thanks to everyone who has posted thus far; very helpful stuff!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  19. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    In my house it has a strong tendency to grow smaller. You?
  20. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    Yeah, I was a little confused by this too. :smile:

Share This Page