Can a holder of DBA use Dr. with in his name?

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Tarbuza, Dec 27, 2008.

  1. BillDayson

    BillDayson New Member

    Some regulated professions regulate the use of the title 'doctor' by those practicing the profession. I've seen state laws that prevent individuals who aren't fully licensed or licensed on the basis of masters degrees from advertising or presenting themselves to patients/clients as 'Dr. So-and-so'.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  2. Yrrex

    Yrrex New Member

    What, exactly, is "P.Hd"? :rolleyes:

    Frankly, it also seems disturbing that someone representing an obvious diploma mill discusses academic standards...
  3. me again

    me again Well-Known Member

    This old thread has resurfaced again? It seems like the answer is within the question.
  4. Malajac

    Malajac Member

    Would that be the UofA on Mickey Mouse avenue, Peterpanville, Federal Republic of Neverneverland?
  5. mintaru

    mintaru Active Member

    It is true that "EU/EEA/Swiss degrees" can be used just as if they were German degrees. (But it is not legal to translate the degree. For instance, you can not translate a Polish magister inzynier into Dipolm-Ingenieur or Master of Engineering, its old and new German equivalents.) Sorry that I didn't mention that. ;)

    And it is also true that you can request that your doctorate - from an EU or EEA member country, or from Switzerland, and only that - is entered in your passport or ID card. But it is not entered as "Dr." but as "DR" in capital letters and without the dot. Just like the academic title of professor which is entered as "PROF". But you don't have any legal right that it is entered. Technically, it is always a case by case decision by the civil servant at the civil registration office!
    By the way, in Austria, you can even request that every type of academic degree from an EU/EEA/Swiss university is entered in your legal documents. But this doesn't apply to "non-EU/EEA/Swiss" degrees as well.

    Your statements about "non-EU/EEA/Swiss" doctorates are also not fully true! The only "accepted" countries are Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada and the USA. Most kandidat nauk degrees (Sorry, I'm not able to use Cyrillic letters now.) from Russia are also accepted, but there are exceptions. For instance, the kandidat ekonomiceskich nauk, a Russian PhD in economics, is such an exception. And professional doctorates as well as bachelor's and master's degrees from these coutries still have to be used in the long form with university and country.

    However, I think all that is slightly off-topic...

    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  6. OldArmy94

    OldArmy94 New Member

    In the realm of community colleges, where I work, there are holders of the JD who are addressed as "Doctor" by others. That's not going to happen in the legal field, but academia tends to acknowledge that magic letter D more readily.
  7. Dave Wagner

    Dave Wagner Active Member

    The JD is not a doctorate in any context, so this the equivalent of me calling the guy at Jiffy Lube "Doc", when he finishes working on my car: "Thanks, Doc. Your hard work is appreciated!"
  8. CargoJon

    CargoJon New Member

    I disagree.

    Juris doctorate legal definition of Juris doctorate. Juris doctorate synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

  9. nycrican2

    nycrican2 New Member

    I think they can. Like OldArmy94 has stated, at the community college where I teach, they have also decided to let faculty with law degrees use the title of Dr. with their names.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  10. edowave

    edowave Active Member

  11. zachj10

    zachj10 New Member

    These are all true, however, those with a J.D. cannot be referred to as doctor, unless they are in a teaching environment.

Share This Page