Any online dual Masters degrees in Psych/Social Work?

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by NMTTD, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    My cousin's girlfriend is finishing up her undergrad and she wants to get her masters online, but she wants a dual degree with Psych and Social Work. I havent seen that combo out there. Does it exist, and if so, where? Thanks!!!
  2. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member


    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    It is extremely hard to find such as program. It is graduate degree not undergraduate where 120 semester credits can be distributed among major, minor, or dual majors. It is only 30 credits to 48 credits; therefore, I would recommend your friend to find the schools offers both Master in Psychology and Social Works. Once she is done with one degree, she can complete a second degree with less credit.

    For example: Southern Method University's Lyle School of Engineering offers 10 classes (30 credits) 1st Master degree, and the second Master degree requires additional 6 classes (18 credits) in that particular discipline (major).
  4. Hadashi no Gen

    Hadashi no Gen New Member

    Most Social Work degrees are 60 credits or more in length, which is essentially two standard Masters Degrees. There are generally two types of masters programs in Social Work... one focusing on policy/administration, and one focusing on Clinical Social Work. Clinical Social Work tends to have a larger emphasis on psychological theory and clinical training, but still train students in policy and administration. Is this the balance that your friend is looking for?

    If not, she might be interested in pursuing a masters degree in Counseling Psychology/Mental Health Counseling. Most Counseling masters programs that I know of have a larger emphasis on theory and clinical psychological approaches to treatment, and less on policy... but as a Masters-level counselor, I feel that I have been able to learn most policy that I need to either during internships or my current job as a therapist.

    There are quite a few decent online accredited Social Work and Counseling degree programs. For example, University of New England and University of Southern California have online CSWE-accredited Social Work programs... and Wake Forest and Adams State College have online CACREP-accredited Counseling programs.

    There are also quite a few online Social Work and Counseling programs that are not accredited by their respective career-field's accrediting organization, but are still regionally accredited.

    Good luck!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  5. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    So is there a dual degree she could take, such as Psychology and Human Services? Or would she be better off taking 2 complete, yet separate, degrees in Social Work and Psychology?
  6. DxD=D^2

    DxD=D^2 Member

    I guess the question is, what is the purpose for having both? Why does she need a Masters with both subjects? Would a MFT degree suit? It can have aspects of both psychology and social issues?

    What is the ultimate plan to have a masters with two areas?
  7. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    An excellent question.
  8. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    Honestly, I have no idea. She just said she wants both, so I said ok. lol
  9. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    What is a MFT?
  10. Graves

    Graves Member

    MFT- Marriage and Family therapy/therapist.
  11. Jonathan Whatley

    Jonathan Whatley Well-Known Member

    Pursuing a master's in psychology and another in social work is conceivable, but unlikely enough that there may not be an organized dual master's program anywhere, let alone online.

    The closest thing might be perennial board favorite, the M.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies from Western New Mexico University, where the student chooses two or three areas of concentration from a list and earn 18 sh+18 sh or 18 sh+9 sh+9 sh in the set. Psychology and Social Work are both available as concentrations, though there are only 9 sh available in Social Work so the student need a third. Criminal Justice, Political Science, Education, or Business Administration would be natural fits for a third concentration.

    Now, this probably wouldn't count as be a master's in psychology or social work such as it's defined to enter a regulated profession like counseling or social work in any U.S. state. As Hadashi notes, MSWs are are outsized master's degrees typically 60 sh; I believe you need 48-60 sh for counseling licensure in many jurisdictions too. And as Tekman notes, a master's is nothing like a bachelor's where you typically have lots of open elective space that could go to an additional major or overlapping dual degree. It might be possible to use something like the WMNU MAIS as a start and top it off with a whole lot of further credits from elsewhere.

    You should really pursue DxD's question with her when you have a chance; we all could be much more help if we knew what she was aiming to do with her graduate degree(s).
  12. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    I just talked to her and she said she doesnt want to do counseling or anything like that. She wants to work in social services as a Victim Advocate, specifically with domestic violence, abuse, and child/adolescent issues. She said she thought both of those degrees, or a human services/psychology degree would give her what she needs. Now she's wondering if she could do that MAIS and have the concentrations be psychology, social work, and criminal justice. Would that be sufficient for her to be able to get in the door? She said she might go on and do a certificate or 2 to boost her resume, but she's wondering if the MAIS will help land her the initial job she wants so she can work while doing the certificates.
  13. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    A job, maybe. A license, probably not.
  14. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    She's not looking to be licensed because she doesnt have to be to do the job she wants to do. She just wants to make sure the MAIS will qualify her for the job she wants.
  15. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    There are very few guarantees in this life. The idea that a relatively nondescript degree will qualify one for a specific/non-specific job in a non-specific location . . . who would make that bet?
  16. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    Ok, well she lives in Florida, she wants either the MAIS with concentrations in Social Work, Psychology, and Criminal Justice or she wants 2 separate degrees in Human Services/Psychology or Social Work/Psychology. She wants to be a Victim Advocate, non licensure position, where she will work either for the prosecutors office or social services advocating for families, specifically for kids, in abuse, domestic violence, and other legal child/adolescent issues. She knows what kind of degree they prefer...that would be the ones I mentioned that she wants. What she is wanting to find out is if the MAIS would still qualify her for this position since is is not a psychology degree or a social work degree, it is an Interdisciplinary degree. Before she makes that investment, she wants to know if ANYONE on here knows ANYTHING about this degree and if it is accepted as a qualifying non licensure degree for positions that would normally want a full on specific degree. I hope that clears up what Im trying to ask. If not, then there's nothing else I can say. I was as specific as I can be about what I am trying to find out for her.
  17. DxD=D^2

    DxD=D^2 Member

    Honestly, It depends upon the state of Florida... However, I believe it would be in her own interest to simply go for the MSW over a Masters in Psychology. The MSW will allow her to do what she wants. This degree would give her the best chance, in my opinion, to getting the job she wants in the social services/ prosecutor's office.

    I would not get the MAIS if I were her... It would only give her a generalized degree. A MSW would be a much better option.

    Have her do some research... She can start here:

    What Is a Social Worker?

    Masters Degree in Counseling Vs. Masters Degree in Social Work |

    BTW, from what I understand, a MSW has concepts of Psychology in the coursework. It's probably the best way for her to go. Hope this helps. :)
  18. NMTTD

    NMTTD Active Member

    Thanks!! I will pass this along to her tomorrow when I talk to her again. I appreciate the help. :)
  19. soupbone

    soupbone Active Member

    I was coming here to post just this. My friend that has her MSW suggested the same thing. The MSW will allow her to do what she wants (what you posted are her current goals), BUT also opens the door if she decides that she wants to become licensed in her state. Being a licensed "social worker" can allow her to practice therapy in all its various forms (family, marriage, addictions, abuse, domestic violence etc.). In other words, the MSW will allow her to counsel if she wants to in addition to the social work aspect of the degree. The MSW is a commitment though because as others have pointed out, most programs are around 60 hours (give or take). In the end though, she will have a degree that will allow her to really design her career from there. I think if you Google MSW specialties, you will see that there are many options for her to basically create her own career.

    University of North Dakota - Master of Social Work (MSW) for Non-BSW Students | Online & Distance Education
  20. Psydoc

    Psydoc New Member

    I ran this by the Victim Advocate's office in my state and she said "MSW" all the way. The MSW will get her the job over other applicants and the license will have credibility in court testimony. Just FYI - I have a PHD in Counseling and have been a LPC for 20 years and if I could do it over I would do the MSW - MSW's have a better lobbying Association, they can bill medicare and insurance companies and are thought to have a more diverse background (I don't agree, but that is immaterial).

Share This Page