EVERY user, please read this thread NOW

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Chip, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip

Chip Administrator

Folks,

I have recently been more "out of the loop" in monitoring the DegreeInfo discussion board than I would have liked, and our other two moderators (Bill and Bruce) do a great job, but at the size DegreeInfo has grown to be, it's hard for the three of us to keep track of all the threads.

Today, I removed a thread that was nothing but personal attacks. There are many, many other threads on this board that have personal attacks within them.

This MUST stop.

I did not create this board for people to attack one another, make insulting remarks, question one another's character... yet some people on this board seem constitutionally incapable of not falling into that trap.

Others don't start things, but immediately start hurling insults as soon as someone insults them.

I think those of you that fit the above know who you are.

DegreeInfo was created as a "safe harbor" to get away from the mean-spirited posts (and noise) of alt.education.distance. We've tried to be very "hands off" as far as moderation goes, and we will, as long as I'm involved, continue to be tolerent of differing viewpoints.

But we will not tolerate the sort of continued mean-spirited comments that seem to be happening more and more frequently.

I don't want to do it, but if it comes to it, we will switch the board software so that no posts are available for view until reviewed by a moderator.

I also don't want to have to suspend any individual's posting privileges, but we have done so in the past for people that, after warning, wouldn't follow the rules... and if we have to start being more aggressive about doing so, we will. (Make no mistake... suspension of privileges will be for violating terms of service and flaming other users, not for expressing viewpoints that are in the minority.)

I don't want to take any of the above drastic steps, but I know that some people have reduced or stopped posting, because they are afraid of being flamed, and I cannot and will not tolerate that sort of atmosphere here.

I would ask each and every user of the board to use the "Report this post to a moderator" (found at the bottom right corner of each post) if they see a post that they think falls even slightly into the category of personal attacks. And I would ask that anyone that feels they are being attacked by any particular user or users to personally email me (chip at degreeinfo dot com) and give me the details (including the URL of the threads or posts) and I will look into it and take necessary action.

I'm a busy guy and don't spend a lot of time here most weeks, but DegreeInfo is also something that's very important to me (as well as my business partners, Bruce and Bill, moderators extraordinare, and to a lot of other people) so I'm willing to step in and do what is necesary to reinforce the sort of friendly community-centered attitude that has always been at the center of DegreeInfo.

As always, if you have any suggestions, comments, or thoughts on how DegreeInfo can do what we do better, we're always open.

Thanks for your continued support.

2. Trance

Trance New Member

I'm sorry that there are people out there who just don't understand the idea of exchanging ideas and information without being abusive or personal. This is a great forum, I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of people who appreciate the opportunity it offers.

3. furashgf

furashgf New Member

I'm not sure how you can stop it other than terminating anyone who does it (by dropping them from the forum).
    It is unfortunately human nature - anonimity makes many people behave badly, or at least in ways that they wouldn't in real life. For example, on a list, someone will be more than happy to be nasty to someone else. In real life, they might reconsider (particularly if the person is large).

The list, for the most part, is awesome. I'd hate to see it go.

4. Jack Tracey

Jack Tracey New Member

As a sort of side note, I've been watching this thread since its inception, wondering how many people would read it. Because of the urgency imparted in the title, I assumed that everyone would read it sooner or later. Also, because there is little need to re-read such postings, I assumed that members would read it only once. Finally, as there were no responses to the original thread for quite some time, I assumed that the number of "views" would closely approximate the number of registered members who actually continue to visit the site and read the postings. We got up over 1000 views before there was a real response to the original posting. Now there are 3 responses and so the "views" will go up again as people check in to see what's been written. There have been statements made by some, on this forum and others, that there are only a few regular "viewers" of this forum and so the opinions expressed mean very little. I think that this pseudo-data I've described suggests otherwise.
    Jack

5. ajredaelli

ajredaelli New Member

I have to say that I don't post much here. Sometimes I made a few posts that looking back I should have educated myself on the subject before posting. Having said that .... I think that sometimes "Newbies" get the feeling that some people are sarchastic in their answers. Some people may be intimidaed by the "tone" of other's answers or replies.

Again, that is just my opinion, but I think that most people like to come here for an answer and advice and do not have the knowledge or the tools that many people here have. This is a great site and I just think that we need to have people turn up the "help" volume and tone down the sarchasm. Just my humble opinion....

Aldo

6. Pete_1959

Pete_1959 New Member

Understood. There will be no personal attacks from me. Promise. I have learned much while lurking for the past couple of years, and I really appreciate the input from the posters who genuinely wish to help those with questions about DL. Having just registered as a member (That's right, another bloody Aussie!), I really hope the board will continue pretty much in its present form.

Pete

PS: I hope nobody was offended by my post (the part in parentheses, anyway). In Australia, _bloody_ is not considered to be bad language, just a colourful part of our linguistic heritage.

7. George Brown

George Brown Active Member

Welcome Pete - we need more Aussies on this board - the Yanks think they own the bloody place!!! Seriously, welcome on board - looking forward to your input.

Cheers,

George

8. PJFrench

PJFrench member

... and a 'bastard' isn't one, but a funny b*****d, a cranky b*****d, and intelligent b*****d.

A complete education is available at www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
    and graduation is mandatory under clause 45.32[a][iii] of the FTA.

9. girdlegirl1970

girdlegirl1970 New Member

Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On...

Now that I have your attention. ;-)

I could not have put it into words better myself. I stumbled onto this great forum and want to say "Thanks!" The pointers and suggestions posted by participants have enlightened me.

10. LIBNYSR

LIBNYSR New Member

Improper language

I agree with you about the policy we should follow here. The manin reason for this forum is to help each other not to destroy each other.

11. ybfjax

ybfjax New Member

Back up as much as possible with facts....

Nothing wrong with having your own opinion. However, the best bet is to back up what you say with relevant facts or at least present as much supporting information as possible.

12. tony2005

tony2005 New Member

I am a new member. Have a look at what happened to my first message in the IT and Computer section on this forum (Starting a new university) - just ridicule and abuse. See what happens when members see a just a first name. If I put my full name, my university rank, experience, qualifications, and publications, there would be a google feeding frenzy. Too many people on this forum prefer character assassination to education.

13. tony2005

tony2005 New Member

And I do need a good typing course. I keep making what the Australians call "typos"

14. skidadl

skidadl Member

I totally agree. I was embarrassed after some of the responses from the board members.

This guy seemed like a very sharp fella.

I hope he doesn't give up posting here, I want to hear more of his ideas.

15. Len

Len New Member

I am one of those who stopped posting due to unwarranted attacks on me; I just felt that I did not need to have to endure snide comments from certain people at DI.

Please believe me, Chip, when I say that I certainly hope your instruction will have the desired effect, but please also accept that I have to see it happen to believe it.

Best of luck and a happy festive season to all of you out there.

Len.

16. Mr. Engineer

Mr. Engineer member

The only problem I have ever had is personal attacks from a certain moderator.

(and no, I am not giving someone who acts like a convict my personal information)

17. Mr. Engineer

Mr. Engineer member

Re: Back up as much as possible with facts....

What is your MOS? Have you put in your papers for OCS yet? If I were 20 years younger, I would do the same. (of course, 20 years ago I didn't have a BS degree). How does the Navy look at DL degrees?

18. Gus Sainz

Gus Sainz New Member

Let us not forget that there is a big difference between real personal attacks and the extreme frustration that naturally arises from trying to defend the indefensible. :rolleyes:

19. Bruce

Bruce Moderator

Asking you to prove an assertion is not a personal attack.

20. fjwilson

fjwilson New Member

Like they say in AA, we need to "place principles before personalities. I have no problem with moderation of these boards for any reason.
    Good luck to all!
    Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.