1. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    I'm someone with Detc accredited degrees.

    On one occasion an RA degree in the discipline was required so I had to do additional maneuvering. There are number of ways to accomplish this.

    I got registered with professional body abroad and based on that was awarded by Royal Chartered body another degree in the discipline. Then I had it evaluated by charter member NACES agency as US equivalent to RA + by the licensing body it was also evaluated as comparable to US specialty accredited as well.

    That was sunffucient to satisfy the requirement.

    I didn't provide additional details because I personally seen interested parties correspondence that worked toward diminishing NA reputation mostly out of ignorance and maybe competition. I don't want any of this institutes to be bothered by people who wish to lower NA acceptability.
  2. me again

    me again Well-Known Member

    DETC accreditation is better than no accreditation.

    There are ways to get around obstacles.

    There are varying perceptions on the utility of DETC programs.

  3. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    I think DETC accreditation is equal to RA accreditation on the academic level of the schools that it accredits with limited range of programs.

    From utility I agree that it has limitations.

    From success of the graduates in the market, it enjoys good level of success.

    RA only at times doesn't cut if it is not supplemented with Professional or Specialty accreditation.

    Yes, unfortunately people who get discriminated against the accrediting agency of their degree have to find ways around and there are multiple routs.

    Can't argue whit that.
  4. CRS0410

    CRS0410 New Member

    Thank you, for that information. I did check and California Southern is approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education which is one of the board's terms.
  5. Dave Wagner

    Dave Wagner Active Member

    One thing about counseling degrees from DETC schools...

    Counseling is not a very well paid profession... if you count practicums and internships. Plus, pro bono work is all around you and all you have to sell is time.

    I'm thrilled that schools like California Southern and Aspen University, etc. have recognized the public service aspects of making these counseling degrees available.
  6. cravenco

    cravenco New Member

    For entrepreneurs.
  7. MISin08

    MISin08 New Member

    Great info -- should save people a little heartache.

  8. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    (b) To qualify for examination eligibility or registration, applicants shall possess a master’s or doctoral degree that is counseling or psychotherapy in content and that meets the requirements of this section, obtained from an accredited or approved institution, as defined in Section 4999.12. For purposes of this subdivision, a degree is “counseling or psychotherapy in content” if it contains the supervised practicum or field study experience described in paragraph (3) of subdivision (c) and, except as provided in subdivision (d), the coursework in the core content areas listed in subparagraphs (A) to (I), inclusive, of paragraph (1) of subdivision (c).

    So Approved institution may not be accredited but if it is CA approved and adheres to the program requirements, i.e approved by the California Board of Behavioral science.

    Its interesting that CA approved unaccredited degree may qualify wile NA degree may not.

    (b) An applicant trained at an educational institution outside the United States shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the board that he or she possesses a qualifying degree that is equivalent to a degree earned from an institution of higher education that is accredited or approved. These applicants shall provide the board with a comprehensive evaluation of the degree performed by a foreign credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services and shall provide any other
    documentation the board deems necessary

    1) An educational institution accredited by one or more of those entities specified in Section 1832 of these regulations, including extension courses offered by such institutions; or (2) An educational institution approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education pursuant to Sections 94900 and 94901 of the Education Code, including extension courses offered by such institutions; or (3) A continuing education provider approved by the board; or (4) A course sponsored by a professional association; or (5) A course sponsored, offered, or approved by a state, county, or local department of health services or department of mental health. Note: Authority cited: Sections 4980.60 and 4990.14, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 25, 4980.41, 4980.54, and 4996.22, Business and Professions Code.

    Do I understand this correctly?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
  9. nj593

    nj593 Member

    Yeah I dont know what you guys that are getting that Southern and that other place are ok but according to that section 4999.12 it states Accredited” means a school, college, or university accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, or its equivalent regional accrediting association" So to me the way i read it its saying Western Association schools and other RA accreditation. So if im not mistaken DETC not approved. Again based on the guidelines of 4999.12

  10. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    Well Southern happens to be CA state approved so even if they are also DETC accredited, its the state approval that makes the students eligible to take state licensing examinations.

  11. nj593

    nj593 Member

    Isnt the 94900 education code for ext courses that are required after the degree ? Like substance abuse or human sexuality training that are required? Pretty sure DETC does not qualify for license. I called Southern after all this started and the school themselves wont even guarantee that you can get your license. To avoid all problems and incase you would move to another state invest the same amount of money go through and get a APA school or atleast an accredited school that is recognized by the other states. I do not believe that license can be transferred like Law students that go for their JD through this same school can not sit in any other state for the bar.

  12. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    All I'm saying that DETC university can apply for approval, adjust their program accordingly and if/when approved can have their graduates sit of licensing exam.

    The approval door is open to non RA universities.

    One will have to check if the program eligible for CA licensing.
  13. CRS0410

    CRS0410 New Member

    They certainly do not make this very clear!
    This is what I've found that I thought was interesting:

    (a) A doctor's or master's degree in marriage, family, and child counseling, marital and family therapy,
    psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, or counseling with an emphasis in either marriage, family, and child counseling or marriage and family therapy, obtained from a school, college, or university that held an approval to operate from the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education as of June 30, 2007 shall be considered by the board to meet the course requirements necessary to qualify for licensure under Section 4980.40 or registration under 4980.44 of the Code provided that the degree is awarded on or before June 30, 2012.
  14. b4cz28

    b4cz28 New Member

    Why DETC?

    1-Price....I'm paying on $36 a credit hour.
    2-Payment plans you can drag out for long periods of time.
    3-Great choices on degrees.
  15. Dave Wagner

    Dave Wagner Active Member

    Very interesting... Thanks for the quote.
  16. MSwol

    MSwol New Member

    WOW, that's cheap? Where is that?
  17. b4cz28

    b4cz28 New Member


    I don't know if their tuition program is still going...jusk ask. The first smester has an enrollment fee but the ones after that don't have one so after the first one it's so cheap. The courses are like Clovis CC, you have a person there with you. They make you do a lot of work but their great people. Most of the teachers have had a Phd's from good schools.
  18. cravenco

    cravenco New Member

    Seeing that Harrison Middleton University is the only University that offering a Doctor of Arts in Humanities through Distance Learning is yet another reason.
  19. emmzee

    emmzee New Member

    That's a good point, there are a few unique programs offered through DETC schools that are (AFAIK) unavailable elsewhere. Ex, the programs offered by the Gemological Institute of America. (I'm actually kinda interested in doing 'em just for interest, but don't have time/money to do so right now.)
  20. Anthony Pina

    Anthony Pina Active Member

    My daughter has just completed here Accredited Jewelry Professional (A.J.P.) certification through the Gemological Institute of America's online program. She intends to go on to get her Graduate Gemologist Diploma. I wish that the American Council on Education evaluated GIA courses for college credit. On the other hand, it might be difficult to assign those credits to a discipline or program at a traditional college.

Share This Page