Teaching Online from Overseas?

Discussion in 'Online & DL Teaching' started by adireynolds, Sep 7, 2008.

  1. adireynolds

    adireynolds New Member

    Hi all,

    I remember a couple of years ago at Capella I had a great instructor, but mid-way through the quarter my class was reassigned to another instructor because the first one was living in Ireland, and Capella stopped using non-U.S. resident instructors (I don't remember why . . . maybe taxes or something).

    Does anyone know if any schools with online offerings allow instructors to teach even if they're not living in the U.S.? I've been flirting with the idea of submitting my CV around to teach a class or two -- I do miss teaching -- but thought I'd see if my non-residency status would present a major hurdle.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Bruce

    Bruce Moderator

    Every US-based DL program I've looked into has required faculty to live in the United States, but that's by no means a comprehensive study. It certainly can't hurt to look around and e-mail some CV's.
  3. Bill Clark

    Bill Clark New Member

    Foreign Based Faculty

    I just finished up a class with American Public University. The professor was an American citizen, PhD was from a US school thirty plus years ago, and he and the family live in Germany - apparently they have for quite some time. It was never any issue - you just better email by noon if you want to catch him today with the time zone difference.

    Bill Clark
  4. BrandeX

    BrandeX New Member

    If you maintained a US mailing address, and VOIP phone number that forwarded to another one, how would anyone know where you lived anyways?
  5. sentinel

    sentinel New Member

    With Vonage you do not need to forward the telephone number. You can have a US telephone number and be anywhere in the world since the telephone connects to the Internet.
  6. adireynolds

    adireynolds New Member

    Well, I already have a shop-n-ship address in New York, I wonder if that would work. I haven't tried Vonage, I'll have to see if that works here . . . the UAE blocks Skype, etc.

    Thanks, Bill for the tip on APU, I'll certainly give them a try.

    And Bruce, you're right, even if most require U.S. residency, it can't hurt to float some CV's out there . . . someone might bite.
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Moderator

  8. Ian Anderson

    Ian Anderson Active Member

    It may make a difference if you are a US citizen or not (the only position I applied for, with a US college, required my social security number).
  9. adireynolds

    adireynolds New Member

  10. le_vietlong@yahoo.

    [email protected]. New Member

    Le Viet Long

    Has any of you taught online/distance degree courses in Vietnam?
  11. Aberdonian

    Aberdonian New Member

    I am currently working on a PhD in Scotland and teach at four universities in the US. I am a US citizen and began teaching at these schools before crossing the pond.
    It took a little work to set up, but I use a family member's address as a permanent address. I also have a magic jack, so I have a US number.
  12. RFValve

    RFValve Well-Known Member

    After the recession most schools prefer US citizens or residents for faculty. I guess it gives bad publicity if they hire people from other countries when American cannot get enough work.
    If you are a US citizen living abroad, this is not a problem as you can get a mail forwarding service and american phone number with a VoIP service. As long as you have an American SIN, it shouldn't be a problem.

Share This Page