Seeking some advice for Masters Degree

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by umair975, Oct 8, 2010.

  1. umair975

    umair975 New Member


    I am from Saudi Arabia and have a bachelors degree in Computer Science and IT with almost 10 years of professional IT experience. NowI am looking forward to obtain my masters degree through distance learning. My options so far includes:

    1. Harvard extension school
    2. London external
    3. IT Masters from Charles Sturt

    I will be thankful if someone can give me some comparision and pros and cons for these universitiy degrees... info like accrediation, recognization etc... the aim here is to get a decent degree that is worth paying for to get knowwledge.. also it should be accepted worldwide like it should help in moving my professional career forward like a job with any fortune 500 company or immigration to Canada UK or AUS.

    thanks is advance.
  2. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    Hi - One thing I can tell you is that you can not complete the Harvard Extension program through distance learning. You will be required to be on campus for at least one semester.
  3. Cyber

    Cyber New Member

  4. leo

    leo New Member

    What degree are you looking at via London external?
  5. Charles Sturt is a well known university in Australia. Like all Australian universities, because of strict regulations, there are no issues about accreditation here. One thing you might like to keep in mind is that the Australian dollar is virtually at parity with the American dollar and might even pass it in the next few days.
  6. umair975

    umair975 New Member

    I am reading stuff with regards to the accrediations like RA etc. so how do these institutions stand in that queue. Are they all accrediated?

    Leo I am lookign at Masters in Info Sec from London External.
  7. umair975

    umair975 New Member

    Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College also Australian institute? right? what will be the total cost of MSIT IT Management Track thru distance learning.
  8. HikaruBr

    HikaruBr Member

    You're right but in the ALM in IT case he only needs to complete one class on-campus, not a whole semester.. He could do that in the shorter summer semester or in the even shorter January term.
  9. AUTiger00

    AUTiger00 New Member

    Harvard extension will no longer sponsor foreign students for Visa purposes so I'm not sure how he could attend residency, even for just a single class.
  10. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    OK, that may be true but I have been under the impression that HES doesn't run in the summer. That would be Harvard Summer School. The course might be offered or maybe not. If it is then it comes with a higher cost. Plus, where are you going to live, etc. Is it doable. Probably, if you plan carefully.
  11. HikaruBr

    HikaruBr Member

    To answer both AUTiger00 and Kizmet at the same time:

    As AuTiger00 said, Harvard Extension doesn't sponsor student Visas anymore. But Harvard Summer school does.
    And here is the thing - a lot of the courses at the Summer School count for the Extension degrees. And the Summer semester there counts towards the oncampus requirement. Both for the undergrad and graduate programs.

Share This Page