Seeking a Phd, DBA, Prof or Executive Doctorate Veteran friendly

Discussion in 'Military-related education topics' started by trlong, Jan 12, 2015.

  1. trlong

    trlong New Member

    I have 14 months and 7 dyas remaining on Post 911. Seeking a program that is relatively short due to not wanting to pay out of pocket cost for the degree. Currently possess 2 Masters and want to advance but struggling finding a program that will fit and take full advantage of BAH.
  2. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    I'm not sure if that exists. The shortest doctoral program I've seen is 18 months, and it's expensive. Mostly everything else will take three or more years.
  3. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    Was that a transitional DPT or something? I've never seen a real doctoral program that took less than two years.

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    Pre-Dr. Sanantone & Steve Foerster,

    I thought the shortest Doctorate degree requires about less than an hour with serveral clicks on those bogus universities.
  5. edowave

    edowave Active Member

    Can you use Post 911 funding for an overseas university? Perhaps a PhD by publication would work. Not easy, but might work.

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    I don't think oversea distance learning Ph.D would work because Post 9/11 still is not funding foregin school funding. Secondly, you will do not receive full BAH for distance learning degree unless school specify the program is on campus.
  7. trlong

    trlong New Member

    Thanks, For the replies. I would definitely be willing to pay for some of the degree. Was trying to avoid the 3-5 year mark. Generally the Post 911 will cover a full semester even if you only have 2 months remaining. You just wont receive the Housing allowance for the full semester.

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    Really? I still have a month and several days of benefits, and I want to use for one more semester before looking for scholarship. I was told that the entire semester tuition will be covered plus BAH. Now, you make me worry. I need to contact the VA to find more information.
  9. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    It's Arizona State University's Doctor of Behavioral Health. I forgot that I've seen DNP programs that are 12 months, but that doesn't help someone who doesn't have an MSN.
  10. Rifleman

    Rifleman New Member


    Can you elaborate on this, or point me in the right direction? I was under the impression that the GI Bill would pay tuition at (approved) foreign schools [VA link].
  11. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    Rifleman - you're not Stephen Flemmi, are you?

  12. Rifleman

    Rifleman New Member

    *chambers a round* ....nope. :dunce:

    Tekman, and anyone else who may read this, it is my understanding that the VA certainly covers tuition for degree programs at accredited foreign schools. If you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, your monthly housing allowance is capped at a maximum of $1,509 a month. So if you are attending classes in Geneva or Tokyo, you better be on a budget.
  13. TEKMAN

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    My understanding that the VA is only funding for the approved foreign schools, if you attend on campus. The VA does not pay for foreign schools at distance learning.
  14. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    I'm not sure what your accreditation requirements are, but I had a pretty good experience at the University of Management and Technology. They are DEAC. Courses are self-paced and affordable. I doubt you would get the degree knocked out in 18 months, but you might be able to make some decent progress in that time.
  15. DnlRowland

    DnlRowland New Member

    I have recently been accepted to the DBA at Apollos University. The average time is 3 years, BUT they have 6 terms a year and you can take more than 1 class at a time if you can handle it. Some people have finished it in under 2 years, really depends on your Dissertation, but the course work can be done fast if you can hack it. Anyway, they have told me it will only cost about $12,500 for the degree (they are offering 10% off for their 10th year). They are DETC accredited. It looks like I will only need to take 2 pre-reqs making it 64 credits (as opposed to 61) because my Master's are in Education and Psychology.

Share This Page