1. nosborne48

    nosborne48 Well-Known Member

    What are the degree titles actually awarded to graduates of the "Professional Science Masters" programs? Are they the usual M.S. or (I suppose) M.A. degrees or are they distinct like, say, "Master of Chemistry" instead of Master of Science in Chemistry"?
  2. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    It depends on the school. I've seen PSM, MS, and MSc.
  3. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021 at 10:48 PM
  4. Dustin

    Dustin Well-Known Member

    I hadn't heard of this before, that's really neat
  5. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    I only know of MPS (Master of Professional Studies). So many bullshit degree letters out there... smh! What's next? PMS?
  6. Rich Douglas

    Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

    My son earned an MPS in homeland security from Penn State.

    The MPS acknowledges that not every degree subject falls neatly into two boxes: arts or science. Many--like the MBA, the EDD, the MFA, are not scholarly, but instead are practical.
    Maniac Craniac likes this.
  7. Dustin

    Dustin Well-Known Member

    PSM is not a degree itself, but appears to be a consortium of schools who have acknowledged that Masters degrees in the sciences should prepare students to succeed in the workforce with appropriate skills and without the need to continue to a PhD.

    chrisjm18 likes this.
  8. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the clarity.

Share This Page