One class at a time, on a normal semester schedule?

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Cassiopeia, May 31, 2013.

  1. Cassiopeia

    Cassiopeia New Member

    Hi there!

    I am looking to work toward a Bachelor's degree, more for personal fulfillment than getting a job. I am bedridden due to illness, so online is the only way to go.

    I am not looking for an accelerated program. In fact, I prefer a regular semester schedule. I am having a hard time finding a school that will allow me to take only one or two classes at a time (most require half-time admission for various reasons).

    Does such a creature even exist? I'd be fine with general studies, but I would really enjoy psychology or health sciences.

    I realize that plugging along like that will mean that I may never see graduation, but this is about having a sense of accomplishment and purpose. I really enjoy school, but I'm having a tough time finding a way to do it on my own terms (read: my body's terms).
  2. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator Staff Member

    I'm so sorry to hear of your disabilities. My congratulations to you for continuing to work on your education, keep up the good work. I believe that Liberty University online will allow you to take one class at a time on a regular schedule. Not positive, but I think so.
  3. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  4. LGFlood

    LGFlood New Member

    Yes, LU will allow you to take one course at a time. However, classes are offered in an 8 week format. As long as one class is taken per 8 week session (two in a 16 week semester), you will also qualify for Title IV aid.
  5. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    The problem for many people is that unless you're attending at least half time, you're not eligible for financial aid. I don't know why they have this restriction.
  6. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator Staff Member

    Yes, I think I remember that being a stipulation when I attended Liberty U.
  7. LGFlood

    LGFlood New Member

    Yes, it is. However, if as long as you take one 3 credit class every 8 weeks at LU, you'll be considered half-time and will receive your Pell and/or Stafford. This was a case this semester with my wife's classes. She only had 3 credits remaining for her BS in Psychology so she registered for the class in the B term. They told her if she wanted FA to add a 3 credit class in her D term which she did..and Voila! But again, I can't recall if the original poster wanted to do a class in the 16 week format or what.
  8. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    Yes. That's not a LU thing, that's a federal thing, so there's no going around it.
  9. Ian Anderson

    Ian Anderson Active Member

    Did you look for Open Admission (or equivalent). I took only one class per semester to compile course credits that I later applied to my BSLS. Schools I attended in this way included Lowell, Several California CCs, CSUDH, and UC Berkeley. Courses completed at these school (except for one CC) were all in seat.

    Another way to earn credit is via CLEP and DSST challenge exams.
  10. Cassiopeia

    Cassiopeia New Member

    Thank you all for the advice!

    I tried an online college that had 5-1/2 week terms where one class is taken per term, and I struggled to keep up with the workload.

    I am looking into my local university, ETSU, which has added several 100% online degree programs since I attended in 2009-2010. I was able to keep up with two classes per semester (6 credit hours), so that might be workable. I'm also considering nearby community colleges, although that would only allow for an associate degree.

    The FA restriction is ridiculous. Then again, the longer a student takes to finish her degree, the further away gainful employment becomes.

    Will an associate degree give me the same core classes as a bachelor's? I've heard of people getting an associate degree and then transferring to complete a higher level degree.

    A big part of me wants to go right for the bachelor's, even though I might not live to graduate (life-threatening illness), just because it seems "better" to me. I have a huge issue with comparing myself to other people, even though I want to do this for my own sense of purpose and having a goal, something to strive for. In my mind, if so-and-so who is worse off health-wise could do this, that, and the other thing, then I should be able to do it, too.

    So I'm doing my research and looking toward fall semester. Again, I appreciate all of the advice everyone has given me so far. It's frustrating when your brain is ready to rock but your body says no, but I know I'll find a way to make school work for me.
  11. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    It depends on the specifics of the particular Associate's degree and Bachelor's degree, but usually almost everything for the former will then apply to the latter. See whether your local community college has an "articulation agreement" with ETSU. If so, you should be able to take courses at the community college and be confident they'll later transfer seamlessly to ETSU.

    And good luck -- it's great you're trying to find positive things in a challenging situation!
  12. Julie1014

    Julie1014 New Member

    How about Fort Hays State University? I have been taking 1-2 classes at a time, and the semester is 16 weeks long. Fort Hays State University Good luck to you!
  13. Ian Anderson

    Ian Anderson Active Member

    I was looking at the Excelsior site and came across info for handicapped students
    Excelsior College - Search Results
    Maybe this might be of interest to you.

    The Excelsio BS Liberal Studies might be a degree that suits your needs. You can up to116 units at any RA college and take minimum 4 courses though Excelsior. Your degree can include up to 59 professinal credits as electives (some professional areas are health, criminal justice, law, business, education, and engineering)
  14. scholarly

    scholarly New Member


    If you register with most college's Disability or Accessibility Office, you can get academic accommodations tailored to your disability needs. Taking a reduced class load is definitely possible. Probably a brick and mortar college with a full online presence would be best. They also have disability scholarships and there are also national dis. scholarships. With such finding you would not have to rely on fed stu aid.

    I can only move one hand, my head, and my active brain. I will graduate (fully online) from an RA brick and mortar school in about six months.

    Exhaustion need not be an obstacle provided you get this help.

Share This Page