Nursing Distance Education

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by jnate, May 1, 2001.

  1. jnate

    jnate New Member

    I have a friend who is an Officer in the Air Force but used to be an enlisted med tech (like an LVN). Has a BA degree and pre-nursing classes as well. Is there not a school that you can do RN classes by DE and clinicals at local sites...this person wants to become an Air Force nurse.

    j nate
  2. Dan Snelson

    Dan Snelson New Member

    So far everything I have seen on RN degrees starts with the RN as the prerequisite to the Bachelor or masters degree.

    With a "pre Nursing" maybe your friend is only short the practical and could hook up with a regular nursing program for the practical.

    (Whose wife is an RN)
  3. Rich Douglas

    Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

    I'm pretty sure a med tech can do an Excelsior nursing degree to get both the RN and Associate's/Bachelor's. In fact, I'm sure having the RN isn't a prerequisite because Excelsior offers the Associate's program just for that purpose. Their target audience tends to be (1) Licenced Practical Nurses looking to move up to become RNs and (2) RNs looking to upgrade their nursing school diplomas or associate degrees to BSNs. All of Excelsior's nursing programs (including the new master's) are accredited by the National League of Nursing.

    Rich Douglas, who is also married to an RNC, BSN, and who's got three Regents degrees.
  4. Excelsior does offer the Associate in Science and the Associate in Applied Science in Nursing, a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, and a Master of Science in Nursing.

    According to Excelsior, the program is designed to meet New York state requirements; students should contact their state board of nursing to make sure that an Excelsior degree will allow them to apply for licensure. Illinois will not accept Excelsior College nursing students for licensure; Florida, Louisiana, and Washington require that you must already be an LPN before applying for licensure.

    Admission is open to "individuals who have significant experience in health care" -- such as Emergency Medical Technicians and Military Corpsman (certain classifications).

    Kristin Evenson Hirst

Share This Page