NCU to no longer accept DETC tranfers after February 28th

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Ruble, Feb 20, 2009.

  1. Ruble

    Ruble New Member

    I was informed today that If I do wish to enroll in the Ed.D. or DBA program that I only have until February 28th to do so. From that point forward it will be NCU's policy to not accept DETC credits. Thinking it might simply be the cancellation of an articulation agreement I made sure to ask again if it was ANY DETC credits and I received a yes and was directed to the 2009 NCU guide.

    I apologize if this had been previously posted.

    The question I am faced with is:

    Do I stay with CSU and finish out my master's or transfer to NCU (who does not confer a masters on the way to the post graduate diploma).

    Needless to say I am up in the air as to what to do...
  2. -kevin-

    -kevin- Resident Redneck

    If you are still on track to graduate in July I say finish the degree. You will at least have the MBA.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  3. Shawn Ambrose

    Shawn Ambrose New Member

    I agree with Kevin - you are so close...Finish the MBA. Apply to NCU anyway and explain the situation. Schools make exceptions to policy ALL the time. If NCU doesn't want you, there are other alternatives out there.

  4. japhy4529

    japhy4529 House Bassist

    Why not do both? By that I mean, transfer your CSU credits over to NCU, complete your program at CSU (perhaps while enrolling in your first NCU course) and finally begin working on the NCU program in earnest.
  5. Ruble

    Ruble New Member

    That was my initial thought as well. I am enrolled at WNMU and will be taking at least 1 class a semester (S,S,F) as long as they offer the great deal. I just couldn't pass it up.

    I currently use the GI Bill and still have enough (10k or so) to partially fund post graduate work. Will the DETC MBA hinder me getting into an RA program, or are there any RA programs that are reasonably priced that I could get into. I could wait till I complete the WNMU MAIS or some equivalent but I really wanted to start as soon as I finished CSU. That also negates the need to put a hold on my GI Bill, which as those of you have used it know, is a PITA to start and stop.

    While I have the floor, is the University of Pretoria = to an RA in the eyes of CHEA and RA institutions?

  6. Ruble

    Ruble New Member

    The big problem is I'm not sure the remaining four courses will transfer to NCU. It would be the duplication of effort involved in completing 4 extra courses at NCU that I would have otherwise not needed. In the end though, my only goal is learning but with a family that sometimes takes a backseat to money.
  7. Vinipink

    Vinipink Accounting Monster

    When I transfered my credits to NCU they only took RA credits and none NA from my CSU MBA, I had a duplicate class in marketing from CSU (one year old) and UOP about 18 years old, and they took the UOP one instead. Maybe you want to consider other options at the doctorate level. Best to finish your MBA at hand.
  8. Ruble

    Ruble New Member

    They initially rejected me then I pointed out that they had a standing AA with CSU and it was then I was told I have a week to make a decision.

    It seems as though its a consensus to finish the MBA.

    Vin, any idea where I could move into an Ed.D. or DBA program that is RA and would accept my CSU degree.
  9. Ian Anderson

    Ian Anderson Active Member

    Is this an option?
    Stop takng courses at CSU, enroll at NCU and start taking courses - then transfer course credit back to CSU to complete your MBA.
  10. Vinipink

    Vinipink Accounting Monster

    This are some universities according to other CSU graduates that have been accepted at the doctoral level:
    Capella University
    Jones International University
    University of Phoenix
    TUI University
    Walden University
  11. skidadl

    skidadl Member

    I think you can add Nova and Argosy to that list as well.
  12. Randell1234

    Randell1234 Moderator Staff Member

    I suggest just working on both. Transfer what you can now to NCU, get enrolled and start on the PhD program but continue to work on the MBA. Worst case: you do a few extra classes. Even worst case: you finish the MBA and not get into any RA PhD programs or have a limited selection. In the end you will still be enrolled in an RA PhD and have an MBA.
  13. RoscoeB

    RoscoeB Senior Member

    Yes. A number of B&M profs and researchers from the U.S. and other countries have told me Pretoria also is highly respected.

  14. Ruble

    Ruble New Member

    I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions and info. I have contacted NCU and will be enrolling in their program, if anything I will have moved those credits and gotten into the program, then I can begin after I finish at CSU in July. I'm going to attempt to have the entire degree transferred but I'm not sure how successful I will be.

    In regards to South African Universities, is it better to simply call them as opposed to communication through email?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009

Share This Page