Master of Arts in Teaching

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by StefanM, Jul 29, 2010.

  1. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    Ok, so I have decided to go into teaching.

    I am finishing my MA in Human Services through Liberty University this fall, and I am planning to be in the classroom via alternative licensure by next fall.

    I have scheduled the appropriate Praxis exams for my chosen area (middle school), according to the state of Tennessee's requirements.

    I do have the choice, however, of teacher education programs outside of the state and/or online.

    Does anyone know of a high-quality, mostly-online program that could benefit me?

    The degree would need to be RA, and I would prefer eight-week terms (but this is just a preference).

    Cost of the program isn't really an issue, as long as federal financial aid will cover it.
  2. jra

    jra Member

    Morningside College has an online Masters in Teaching it is RA and you can get it for under 5k.

    The requirements say that you have to be a licensed teacher but they are taking non-licensed teachers or teacher-wanna-be's (like me, I teach religion at church)

    The school has been in the US News Best Colleges list since 2008.

    Terms are 14 weeks and there are 6 mandatory classes offereded online and 6 electives for a total of 36 credits.. you have a wide range of electives to choose from, even self paced ones that you can probably knock in a month and are only $230 x 3 credit class and $190 x 2 credit class.

    Besides that each mandatory class is only $170 x credit and they offer a payment plan so there is no need for student loans and debt. It is not ultra difficult but challenging, I finished my first semester taking 6 credits and I enjoyed it a lot.

    I hope this helps
  3. cdhale

    cdhale Member

    I have an MAT from the University of West Alabama. 8 week terms and it cost me about $9K. You can get it with license or without. I enjoyed the program. I teach full time for a community college with this degree, as well as teach as an adjunct for several online schools.

    It is worth a look.
  4. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why you want an MAT (as opposed to the more common MEd)?
  5. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    What are the benefits of having a MAT or MEd instead of achieving alternative licensure? Seems that if you are already pursing a MA/MS and for example in NC all I would have to do is have a BA and take the Praxis II for the subject I would like to teach. Why would I be interested in pursuing an education degree? Is their pay benefits or something that I am not seeing?
  6. Randell1234

    Randell1234 Moderator Staff Member

    What subject can you teach with an MAT?
  7. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    Yes, there are pay benefits but also, some school systems where I live require that if you are an employed teacher that you are involved in a Masters program. Also, and perhaps most importantly, in this world of credentialing inflation, in some areas you may need a Masters degree just to be competitive when applying for available positions.
  8. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    I understand having a Masters, but you are saying there are pay benefits for specifically have a MEd above any other MA/MS? I haven't searched extensively but say for NC they have a "kicker" for having an MA but I didn't see anything about what it had to be in.

    I am active duty military and it would be just for kicks, I enjoy teaching many things but I don't know if I would want to do it full-time forever. They do have programs such as Troops to Teachers that will pay for certification though so it may be fun to do it.
  9. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    The MAT is the usual nomenclature for degrees intended for initial licensure.

    Some offer the MEd for this purpose, but most of the time I see MAT for initial licensure and MEd for certified teachers.
  10. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    There aren't any. If I could do an alternative licensure program, that would be OK as well.

    In TN, you have to pass the Praxis II in the subject area to get a transitional license. To convert it to a full license, you have to complete a program that leads to full licensure. Most of the time, this is an MAT, but if there are any good exceptions, I'd be glad to know!
  11. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    My plan is to get licensed then to pursue an EdS through Liberty. I COULD do a licensure add-on to an EdS at LU, but Virginia's licensure requirements are downright Byzantine compared to Tennessee's. Plus, the ages don't really correspond well.

    In TN, middle grades licensure is for grades 4-8. It looks like MS has a 4-8 certification as well, so I may be pursuing that option as well. The problem is that some states are K-6 and 7-12, and that doesn't really correspond well for my final goals. I'd end up having to take a multitude of Praxis exams that do not correspond with my area of licensure in TN. If I didn't plan to teach on a transitional license, it wouldn't matter, but I have to pass the TN-required Praxis exams in order to get a transitional license.

    For MS, I would probably have to take one additional Praxis, but it would just be Elementary Ed content knowledge, which won't be much different than the required Middle School content knowledge exam.
  12. cdhale

    cdhale Member

    I teach English. At UWA, the degree description explicitly states (or at least did when I took the courses) that the degree is designed for those who want to teach at the HS or Community College level.

    I graduated in 2007 (May) and have been teaching as an adjunct or full time (or both) since the fall of that same year.

    It gives me a Masters degree with 24 hours of English.
  13. mattbrent

    mattbrent Active Member

    I have an MSEd from Walden which I obtained after already serving as a certified teacher. My wife did her MAEd through the College of William and Mary to actually get her teaching license. From what I've observed an MSEd or MAEd focus on education, whereas an MAT focuses on teaching. There actually is a difference :) I've also noticed that many MAT programs require you to take graduate coursework in your subject area. My undergraduate alma mater, Christopher Newport University, requires this, as does the University of Virginia. That route could be nice as you'd leave with 9-12 credits in your subject. You could take a few more courses and then adjunct.

    As for hiring, I can say that our school had 60 applicants apply for one social studies position. That NEVER happens. The economy is just crappy. Usually we're lucky to get 1 or 2 applicants because our school is not the most glamorous or highly paid. Our principal stated the division had so many applicants, they started out only talking to people with masters degrees. Surprisingly they ended up hiring a guy fresh out of undegrad because he actually asked the right questions and didn't just apply for the sake of applying. I'm going to serve as his mentor, and I think they made the right choice.

  14. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    Ewww. Social studies. While I like the field, the job market for that field is horrible here as well. Good luck to any candidate on getting hired without a coaching endorsement!

    Fortunately, middle grades education in my region is a teacher shortage field, and there are many schools in this area that actively recruit for non-traditional candidates.
  15. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    Does anyone else have any suggestions for an MAT or alternative licensure program?
  16. Lindagerr

    Lindagerr New Member

    Western Governors University and Grand Canyon University have MAT programs. I am looking into them myself. WGU is all online except for the student teaching which they set up near you.

    I am looking into these programs because here in NJ the alternate method includes 290 hours of in seat classes that cost ~$2500. + 1 year teaching full time with a mentor you pay ~$1500 and this is all for no credit once you have met the requirements for eledgibility.

    This is all after you obtain your BA or BS, a 24 hr class in seat course, a health test and pass the relavant PRAXIS II. I have done all of this and now just have to wait another 10-12 weeks to receive my Certificate of eledgebility to teach then find a job.

    I want to teach Math & Science to Middle school which is 5-8th grade here.

    If you find any other good programs please let me know.
  17. Maniac Craniac

    Maniac Craniac Moderator Staff Member

    Several of the schools that I was considering for my BA happened to have MATs, but I couldn't help you with the details since I was never interested in one.

    Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) | SUNY Empire State College
    Online Master of Arts in Teaching - Online MAT Program - MAT Degree - Masters Degree Teaching - Columbia College
    University of North Carolina Online: Master of Arts in Teaching - Special Education program
    Master of Arts in Teaching | Masters Teaching | MAT @ USC

    For M.Eds, the lease expensive that I am aware of is There is also which isn't cheap and
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  18. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    I REALLY wish I could do the USC MAT, but I just can't justify spending that much money.
  19. emissary

    emissary New Member

    Here is what UTEP has to offer. May not be what you're looking for, but thought it would be worth a look.
    COE Online Masters
  20. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    Thanks for the info.

    What I am seeking is a program that leads to licensure in grades 4-8. I'd also be fine with K-6, K-8, and other programs that include these grades.

Share This Page