M.A. in English w/ Transfer Credits? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by Darwin, Feb 21, 2020.

  1. Darwin

    Darwin New Member

    Phew... I'm pretty exhausted, you guys. I've been flipping the internet upside down to find what I'm looking for, but I haven't quite found it yet. Perhaps someone here knows just the program I'm looking for. Maybe it doesn't exist. Maybe I need to change my expectations.

    I need:
    • A regionally accredited university
    • Offers an M.A. in English
    • 100% online
    • Allows between 12-18 transfer credits (graduate level)
    As a professional and adjunct instructor in higher education, I've completed 18 credit hours in English courses (to meet the HLC teaching requirement). However, I did these courses through American College of Education. It has been an EXCELLENT school, but they do not offer academic degrees. I got my grad cert through ACE because the education is solid and they're incredible affordable. I want to transfer these courses to a university that will allow me to finish a Master's degree in English.

    Any ideas?

  2. Acolyte

    Acolyte Member

  3. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

    The University of New Orleans has a 33 credit online Masters program in English. They will allow you to transfer up to 11 grad credits but only after you have completed 9 credits in their program. You may not find a better deal.

  4. cacoleman1983

    cacoleman1983 Member

    American College of Education does have a Masters of Education in Advanced Study where the 18 hours you've already completed can be transferred into that program to complete that Masters. American College of Education's graduate certificates (Certificate of Content Area Instruction) centers around pedagogy. I've been thinking about getting a grad certificate in mathematics instruction from them so I can be qualified to teach credited math courses as I was limited to teaching remedial mathematics courses that could not transfer when I only had my Bachelors in Mathematics. I think it would be difficult to transfer all of those courses away from American College of Education into a Masters degree in English because the courses you completed would likely be seen more as electives and may not be equivalent to the receiving school. University of the Cumberlands PhD/EdD in Leadership would allow a full transfer of your 18 hours into the cognate teaching/specialty field. This would be a better option in my opinion if you already have a Masters. A Master's degree in English from another school would not be as flexible with the transfer coming from an online school.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. Darwin

    Darwin New Member

    Thank you for your response. I know about the M.Ed in Advanced Studies, however, what I really need is the M.A. in English. It must be a full blown Master's degree in English. I've thought of the Ph.D. route. Not so sure I want to do it in English. These are great suggestions. Thank you!

Share This Page