How to stall a job offer?

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by chrisjm18, Dec 3, 2021.

Loading...
  1. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    One of my friends applied for several tenure-track positions. Currently, she has five interviews (two passed and three more over the next two weeks). She stated that she has two or three schools that are at the top of her list. Only one of her top 3 schools has scheduled an interview. She asked me what's the best way to stall a job offer, assuming one of the others eventually makes her an offer while she is awaiting her top choices.

    Please share your experiences or opinions.
     
  2. Vonnegut

    Vonnegut Well-Known Member

    What kind of time frame is she looking at?
     
    chrisjm18 likes this.
  3. AsianStew

    AsianStew Active Member

    Honestly, there isn't a real way of "stalling" a job offer. Most job offers would provide you a date/time you need to either accept or reject. If she already has offers, be honest and ask what time frame does she have to respond by... again, there is no real way of delaying it without accepting or rejecting it, if she really hasn't made a choice, tell the prospective employer exactly what's happening - multiple offers, haven't decided, can I delay for another day or two.
     
    Dustin and chrisjm18 like this.
  4. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    She didn't mention that, but I would assume early spring (maybe early February) since schools go on break in another week or week and a half.
     
  5. Vonnegut

    Vonnegut Well-Known Member

    Not sure I would tell a prospective employer everything… that immediately sends up red flags. It’s certainly reasonable to state you’re going to take a trip to the campus/region, and look at houses, schools, etc. That can buy a few weeks…. Pushing for months is a different story and hard to do. Worse, revealing that means you could come across as the wrong choice… of course, it could incentivize their offer… really a lot depends on your friend, the specialty, the field, their need, and… how much risk your friend is willing to take.
     
    chrisjm18 and Maniac Craniac like this.
  6. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    There's very good reason for the old saying that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
     
    AirDX, Maniac Craniac and chrisjm18 like this.
  7. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    True. But would a job offer be considered a bird in the hand? I think it is only when you've started the position. I know there is a possibility for a slip between the lips and the cup.
     
    Maniac Craniac likes this.
  8. TEKMAN

    TEKMAN Semper Fi!

    Honestly, I would recommend taking whatever is on the table at the moment. You can always turn around and decide to leave for the better one. True story, I accepted a full-time position as a Senior Information Security Engineer with a small mortgage firm for a $98,000.00 annual salary plus full benefits. After two weeks, I left for a full-time consulting position as Principal Cybersecurity Consultant at $185,000.00 per year inclusive. My reason was my two weeks of work, my changes to align with organizational missions and regulatory compliances, and the changes were not supported by the firm Chief Information Officer (CIO). Therefore, my works might not meet the firm's expectations. :D
     
    chrisjm18 likes this.
  9. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    The difference with higher ed is that most likely the candidate wouldn't start the position if they decide to back out since most schools will give you an offer several months in advance (March/April/May) of the start date. In this case, it may even be better than your situation where you stayed two weeks in the position.
     
  10. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    Academic hiring tends to be slow. Even staff hirings at many schools seem to take forever relative to private sector. I have had employees go from final interview to start date scheduled, drug test completed and offer letters signed within a week. From my colleagues who have bounced to nearby universities a hiring timeline of 2-3 months has not been uncommon. So I guess I am saying I wouldn't really formulate too sophisticated a stalling strategy. Go with the flow. And things can change both ways. A position accepted can be turned down later (try to avoid that except in extreme situations). My understanding as it relates to faculty hiring is that an offer for a tenure track position would be more secure than a typical offer in the private sector. Many, but not all, faculty actually receive a contract. Most offer letters are explicit in the fact that the offer letter is not an employment contract. Either way, there is probably a good amount of time to assess the climate and who is going to be responsive before worrying about an ill timed offer.
     
    chrisjm18 likes this.
  11. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    My position is up for grabs:
    https://careers.uvi.edu/postings/5050

    So, if any PhD in CJ or closely related field wants a TT position on the island....

    Of course, this thread wasn't about my friend as stated lol.
     
    Dustin likes this.
  12. Dustin

    Dustin Well-Known Member

    Congrats! Where are you off to next? I may have missed it in another thread or this may be news to all of us
     
  13. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    Well, the job search is news. I will share again once I've settled on a position.
     
  14. Vonnegut

    Vonnegut Well-Known Member

    Why the change in direction?
     
  15. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    The territory is not a good fit. I made up my mind that I wasn't coming back after my first year as early as Labor Day. That day, I lost electricity three times. However, a lot of Virgin Islanders have generators. I thought it would be very similar to Jamaica but I have felt isolated living there. Maybe the COVID-19 pandemic hasn't helped either. I think if I had family or friends there, it wouldn't be so bad. I'd definitely have to own a generator too. Apart from those two main issues, I like the peacefulness and beauty of the island. I don't have to worry about racism (the main reason I was over the mainland), mass shootings, and political BS everywhere. However, living on the mainland has many advantages, most of which have to do with convenience (garbage pick up, free delivery on Amazon and other stores, rideshare, food delivery, and so on).
     
    Stanislav, Dustin and Maniac Craniac like this.
  16. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    Lots of updates now that schools are resuming nationally. Well, not necessarily positive but still not disappointing to me. Some years ago, I listened to a message by Joel Osteen titled "It's All Good." Since then, I never get disappointed. I just simply say, all is well, and move on.

    Interviewed
    Georgia Southern University - position filled (TT, Asst. Prof of CJ)
    SUNY, Empire State College - position suspended (TT, Asst. Prof of CJ)

    Both are my bottom two. I applied to many schools (mostly TT, few NTT, located in cities I would be comfortable living in, and the school's overall mission, growth, and finances are satisfactory). I compiled a list of 10 schools (well, 11 - a bonus) that I would be content with. Georgia Southern was #10, and SUNY Empire was #11.

    Applied
    Marquette University - position canceled (NTT, Asst. Prof)

    This school was not in my top 10. My #1 is a simple school (Christian), which I won't reveal as yet :D

    Other updates

    A school I interviewed for in December updated me. Unfortunately, COVID has delayed things, but they will be in touch once they get things going again.

    Next week, I will interview for another school in the south.
     
    Stanislav likes this.
  17. Stanislav

    Stanislav Well-Known Member

    Hang in there. Academic job search is frustrating.
     
    chrisjm18 likes this.
  18. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    Liberty has a full-time opening. Assistant Professor of CJ and Pre-Law. I don't think they have a tenure system.

    https://jobs.liberty.edu/postings/37235

    I won't apply though. Even though I graduated from there, I don't think our principles align. They have a history of discriminating against LGBTQ+ people. Many schools, despite their Christian beliefs, do not discrimination when it comes to admissions and employment.
     
  19. RFValve

    RFValve Well-Known Member

    I think she is being very optimistic, normally you get only one offer. If she gets one offer, you accept and then if you get a better offer, just resign the first one and take the second offer. Nobody is forced to work anywhere, you can resign any time you want even after two weeks of employment.
    Another way to stall the offer for few weeks is to come back and ask for more money, normally administration is willing to offer you a bit higher salary but they can take some time to come back to you. The risk here is that they can decline the request and don't give you the option to take the job. Many schools have a ranking list of candidates, if the first refuses they give it to the second one. So asking for more money can be risky but most of the times works.
     
    chrisjm18 likes this.
  20. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    One of the schools I interviewed with on Zoom in December wants to fly me in for a face-to-face interview, teaching demonstration w/students, and a 30-minute lecture with faculty.

    I was told of the salary range before the Zoom interview and I knew the maximum amount was not something I would accept. However, many people will advise against turning down any interview. So, I interviewed for fun.

    This is an NTT Lecturer position at a DPU.

    I think I will turn down the campus invite. However, I want a very diplomatic way to do so. Lol. Please share any advice you may have.
     
    Dustin likes this.

Share This Page