Free MBA

Discussion in 'Business and MBA degrees' started by Mac Juli, May 9, 2024.

  1. tadj

    tadj Well-Known Member

    "In Europe, there are countries with a higher education system based upon a distinction between higher education institutions, universities of applied sciences and research universities." Link:

    There are specific criteria in each country for how to classify a given institution. It's not some contest between inferior and easily accredited institutions vs. superior research university institutions with "greater accreditation." There may be an issue of prestige but it has nothing to do with accreditation inferiority or superiority. Malta actually has a qualifications framework and all the accredited degrees fit into this framework. This would include the Woolf degrees, regardless of whether we like this institution.
    Johann likes this.
  2. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Thanks. Good to know. Tells me much more than a comparison with US naming conventions did.
  3. Johann766

    Johann766 Active Member

    Germany has this system very much. There are research Universities and Universities of Applied Science (Fachhochschulen), most of the Universities of Applied Science cannot award doctoral degrees.

    I thought only Germany has this system but it seems it's all over Europe.

    Since Woolf can award PhD's I'd say it's a research university.
  4. tadj

    tadj Well-Known Member

    Yes, Germany has a system of this kind with the distinctions that you've mentioned. Still, Woolf falls under the non-public higher education institution category. It is not a research university at this point, but they have a genuine right to award research doctorates.
  5. Johann766

    Johann766 Active Member

    You say Woolf is a "non public higher education institution", I wonder what that means exactly in a Malta context. For some reason which I don't know the german anabin refuses to list schools like woolf or which should also fit in the woolf category.
  6. tadj

    tadj Well-Known Member

    Are you sure that they refuse these schools in Germany, or is it the case that they have not examined them yet? In terms of school categories, Woolf would be treated like a private HEI (short for higher education institution) in the European context. These type of accredited institutions exist all over the place. In Poland, non-public HEIs can also award doctorates, if they meet certain set criteria.
  7. Messdiener

    Messdiener Active Member

    Do any of these Polish HEIs offer distance learning in English? ;)
  8. tadj

    tadj Well-Known Member

    Polish schools don't provide online doctorates, regardless of whether we're dealing with public or non-public institutions. It is possible to do a large chunk of your studies online with first-cycle (Bachelor) and second-cycle (Master) degrees. Most partially online degrees are offered in Polish. Even then, you have to do certain things in-person. There are a whole lot of English-language degrees in Poland, but they are offered in traditional format.
    Messdiener likes this.
  9. Johann766

    Johann766 Active Member

    However there are many Polish private (and even some state) universities that offer unaccredited online doctorates with english appellations like DBA or EdD (in addition to their accredited on campus programs). Some of them also in english.

    Not really sure what tadj means when he writes polish "non-public HEIs"- do you mean state accredited private universities?
  10. Johann766

    Johann766 Active Member

  11. tadj

    tadj Well-Known Member

    DBA and EdD are NOT doctorates in Poland. These degrees do not exist under the Polish law. However, if you treat these designations (DBA, EdD) as mere TITLES (not as academic degrees), you may award them under non-degree studies at the postgraduate level. This occurs in Poland.

    As for "non-public HEIs", I am taking about any private degree-granting institutions that are accredited. Some of them may have university status, while others may not meet all the criteria required to be a university in a given European country (these could be called colleges, academies, seminaries, etc.).
  12. tadj

    tadj Well-Known Member

    I've looked at the original Polish wording on the website of "Akademia Ekonomiczno-Humanistyczna w Warszawie", which offers the DBA program and then I've used Google translate for comparison. The automatic English translation really messed things up and the word 'degree' next to DBA could actually be found in the English translation with zero basis for that. In Polish, it just says "studia podyplomowe" (non-degree form of study). This is why people need to be careful with automatic translation.
  13. housecat

    housecat Member

    Guise guise guise, I was asked on another forum to look into this, and my feelings are that I should maybe make a PseudoUniversity of my own. Technically I am qualified, (web-dev+business educated) but as far as this goes, I am awarding it a solid PseudoUniversity-Tier status. It's as rubber-stamped as it comes, if you get this and you ask me for a job, I will respond with "this school is patently not allowed to legally issue degrees, in any jurisdiction on this planet." And when I hire I will even accept ENEB grads as I know the material is actually half-way descent, yes yes there are some issues but overall, even though we all know the situation around good ol' ENEB and accreditation.

    This cat claws this university like litter. To the sides of the box, and waits for it to be emptied away into oblivion where it belongs.

    Anyone in for starting Mittens University with me?

Share This Page