Credential for Teaching Content in a Foreign Language

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by Tom Crusher, Jul 27, 2020.

  1. Tom Crusher

    Tom Crusher New Member

    Good day! I'm sorry for the somewhat unclear title - part of why I'm posting is that I can't seem to get the search terms right to find what I need.

    I teach economics and have some professional development funding available. Since I have many students who speak English as a second language, I am interested in learning a foreign language to improve their experience. I'm curious if anyone knows about programs that are specifically designed for this - e.g., is anyone aware of a program that offers, say, an MA in Teaching Econ in Spanish?

    On searching, I find a lot of combined programs (Econ and Spanish) and a lot of resources (econ worksheets and flashcards in Spanish) but I haven't found any that are specifically designed for developing facility for teaching content in a second language.

    I appreciate any help or suggestions!
  2. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly

    That's an interesting question. I've never heard of this, especially not a special degree for it. TESOL is the closest, but that's not what you mean.

    I suppose I've always assumed that one would simply know/learn that language and just go for it.
  3. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    There are a lot of MA in TESOL or M.Ed. in CI - ESL. They are not content-specific, however. Anyway who wants to teach ESL regardless of their content area can pursue one of these degrees.
  4. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly

    He doesn't want to teach English to people who don't speak it. He's an English-speaker who wants a credential to demonstrate he's also capable of teaching economics in Spanish.
  5. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    I'm a bit mystified as to why the OP is searching for a degree that specifically involves teaching, economics or the combo. He already knows the subject and how to teach it.

    I've had teachers of foreign-born origin - who qualified professionally in their homeland. As far as I know, all they had to do here was to present good degrees (they did) and
    make sure their English skills were good (and they were) and they were good to go,for university teaching. Unless, perhaps they were like my economics professor, who was from Iran. She arrived here as a qualified engineer, then switched careers, migrating to business. After earning an MBA here, she taught business subjects. English? Dynamite! No problem.

    I'd say the key thing here is to learn Spanish - and maybe concentrate on the vocabulary germane to economics. A degree program in Spanish might be overkill. I don't think I ever met a foreign-born instructor who had a specific degree in the English language - although they certainly had the verbal/written skills to earn one, if desired.. Everything else is in place. Le deseo la mejor suerte del mundo. (I wish him the best luck in the world.)
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  6. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the clarity. I totally misunderstood what he was asking. I think your recommendation to learn Spanish might be his best option. As Johann said, he's already an SME in economics. He just needs to learn the second language and deliver the content in a similar way as he would if he was teaching in English.
  7. Johann

    Johann Well-Known Member

    Yes - and be able to handle students' responses and questions in Spanish - as they occur. That's the trickier part - but essential learning.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Maniac Craniac likes this.

Share This Page