Alternative Certification

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by Lilywise, Aug 13, 2015.

  1. Lilywise

    Lilywise New Member

    Hello all,

    I am looking into alternative teacher certification. Does anyone have any experience with this route?

    The programs I am looking into are Web-Centric ACP, Iteach, Texas Teachers (all out of TX) and Teacher Ready (FL).

  2. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    I have some experience with iTeach Texas, but I dropped out when I was accepted to my PhD program. I chose them because of the low upfront costs, they were completely online except for half of the required observation hours, and they didn't have a problem with me not having a GPA from TESC. I had many graded credits from other colleges, but my GPA needed to be calculated by iTeach because TESC doesn't calculate GPAs from transfer credits. A+ Teachers wouldn't work with me on this.
  3. Lilywise

    Lilywise New Member

    Thanks for the info. Is A+ teachers now known as Texas Teachers? Also how was your limited experience with iteach?
  4. major56

    major56 Active Member

    Have you considered a university teacher alternative certification route? What particular state are you seeking initial teacher certification; secondary or elementary /subject area? There are many university alternative certification programs (ACP) available (both traditional and online). If given an option ... choose a program that is NCATE /CAEP accredited (programmatic) NCATE: Home / Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (e.g., increases certification portability amongst states).

    Two online examples:

    Western Governors University-Teachers College (NCATE accredited)
    Online Teaching Degree | Online Teacher Licensure | Teacher Certification | WGU Teachers College Online
    Online Teaching Degree | Licensure Requirements by State | WGU Teachers College Online
    Online Teaching Degrees | WGU Teachers College | Online Teaching Degree

    American College of Education (online Transition to Teaching (T2T)): “The M.A.T. and T2T programs are approved by the Indiana Department of Education for an initial teacher license. However, states may have additional licensure requirements. Students are solely responsible for determining whether they are eligible for initial licensure in the state in which they intend to teach. It is vitally important that students know before enrolling and be continually aware of their own state licensure requirements.”
    Online Paths To Teacher Licensure | American College of Education
    Online Masters of Arts in Secondary Teaching |
    Online Master of Arts in Elementary Teaching |
  5. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    I didn't complete much before I dropped out, but they seemed quick and organized. They even refunded most of the money I paid when I dropped even though their policy said they wouldn't. I don't know A+ Teacher's new name. I couldn't do a teacher certification program through a college/university because I couldn't afford to quit my job for a semester of student teaching without pay. Have you checked to see if these out-of-state program's meet Ohio's requirements? You should also check the job market. In Texas, I noticed that the desirable school districts would only hire teachers with a temporary certification if they were certified in something like ESL, math, science, special education, etc. The school districts that would accept any subject were really desperate because they were either inner-city or rural.
  6. Lilywise

    Lilywise New Member

    Thanks for your reply! I am looking into Elementary Ed in Ohio. I have actually considered both ACE and WGU, the problem is the funding. Both are over 8,000 while just the certification is about 4000. It's a much better deal in my opinion to get masters and cert for 8000, I just don't have the funds now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  7. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    With a lot of these alternative teacher certification programs outside of colleges and universities, you don't need to come up with the $4,000 right away. They take payments out of your check after you land a job. ACE also has a payment plan, but like you said, you have to pay off $8,000. WGU is supposed to have some kind of payment arrangement, but they also accept financial aid. ACE doesn't participate in Title IV Funding. Then, there is the cost of not being able to keep a full-time job while doing the student teaching.
  8. Lilywise

    Lilywise New Member

    You are right about not paying until you actually land a job, the problem I am finding out is that the job has to be in Texas. I live in Ohio and can not move to Texas.
  9. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator Staff Member

  10. Lilywise

    Lilywise New Member

    Not silly at all, I did look at it. I'm not sure I understood it correctly though. They require 24 semester hours in subject area to be taught (math, TESOL, science, etc), however my bachelor's degree is more general Early Childhood Development. Plus I would have to teach 4 years before I could receive my Professional Educator License, I do not know if I will be in Ohio then.

Share This Page