Advice on what to do with a degree I don't want

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by Silvia, Nov 10, 2018.

  1. Silvia

    Silvia New Member

    So here is my back story, I have a masters of education in School counseling and after 2 and half years of no call backs and not being able to find a job, I lost all the passion I had in the beginning to be a school counselor. I am now looking at other options on what to do. One thing for sure is I cannot spare doing an unpaid internship again or rack up anymore debt. Any suggestions on what to do? Currently I am an office staff member but do not want to be there forever. Anyone in a similar situation? Anyone know if I get a associate's degree in photography or art and do the praxis test that I can become an photo/art teacher since I already have a master's?
  2. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    I don't want to be totally negative about this but it's hard for me to believe that there are no School Counselor jobs around but there are lots of Art Teacher jobs around. If anything, I'd guess the exact opposite. The first thing you have to do is decide if you want to stay in the education field. If the answer is yes then I'm guess that the path from School Counseling a teaching certification is pretty clear (although everywhere I've ever lived you need to do a student teaching gig at some point in that process = unpaid internship) Check your state DOE.
    SteveFoerster likes this.
  3. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef

    My first stop would be into my local dept of ed's office to talk with them about your placement options. I don't think the answer is photography, but if might be easier to pick up another endorsement in something more in demand in your area- perhaps special ed? I'm only throwing that out there, but the diagnosis rate is EXTRAORDINARY and only increasing. In other words, if they haven't needed what you have to offer in 2 years, but you've been looking, focus your attention on what you're seeing as in-demand. Also, be sure to consider private schools as well as public, and maybe even academic services at the community college.
  4. copper

    copper Active Member

    I suggest counseling at the college/university level, either a traditional or distance learning school. You should also consider the Ed.D. If a university hires you perhaps they can give you tuition assistance. My neighbor has your credentials and was able to work at a University, counseling adult learners to complete High School and go on to college level.

    Lowest cost Ed.D I could find:

    If a Veteran or First Responder, great deal for online Ed.D.!

    Online admission counselor:
  5. chrisjm18

    chrisjm18 Well-Known Member

    My cousin in NYC has an M.S.Ed. in School Counseling and has been unable to find a job for almost a year now.
  6. copper

    copper Active Member

    I escaped New York years ago and never looked back in fear of turning to a pillar of salt.

Share This Page