Admission Criteria for Indiana University M.S. Adult Education

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by AdjunctInstructor, Dec 15, 2011.

  1. AdjunctInstructor

    AdjunctInstructor New Member

    Interestingly Indiana University states the following:

    Admission Criteria
    The Adult Education program employs the following criteria for admission:

    1. A baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree from a college or university holding full regional or national accreditation is required for admission to all graduate programs. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree from an institution holding only state accreditation may be granted conditional admission if their other application credentials are strong. Applicants in the last semester of a four-year undergraduate program may be granted interim admission until such time as a baccalaureate degree has been awarded which must be no later than the beginning of anticipated semester of matriculation. [italics mine]

    This is wonderful for many people holding NA or California approved school degrees. I am unsure if this would apply to religious exempt degrees.
  2. TechWarrior

    TechWarrior New Member

    Which school and campus awards this degree? Education/Continuing Studies? Bloomington or IUPUI in Indy?
  3. Bruce

    Bruce Moderator Staff Member

    Acceptance of NA degrees for admission to RA graduate programs has grown steadily over the years; it was almost unheard-of during the infancy of DegreeInfo, and while still not commonplace, it's no longer groundbreaking/surprising.

    However, it's still very much on a limited basis, so keep in mind Dr. John Bear's sage advice about choosing a program that meets your current AND future (even anticipated) needs.
  4. TechWarrior

    TechWarrior New Member


    What would someone do with a Master's/PhD in Adult Education?
  5. Bruce

    Bruce Moderator Staff Member

    Education isn't my area of knowledge/interest, but I imagine they would be useful for administrators and senior staff at schools that cater to non-traditional students, such as the continuing education departments of colleges/universities, especially schools with online/DL programs.
  6. GeneralSnus

    GeneralSnus Member

    It was awarded by Indiana University, School of Continuing Studies and the diploma was issued at IUPUI. The trustees recently voted to disband SCS, so the degree program will be moved to a new academic unit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the MSAE end up in the School of Social Work. The disbanding of SCS is supposed to be complete by summer.
  7. AdjunctInstructor

    AdjunctInstructor New Member

    It seems there is a paradigm shift towards allowing nationally accredited undergraduate degree holders admission to many formally selective public university graduate programs. What surprises is that Indiana University addresses state accredited degrees and would consider applicants for conditional admission to the M.S. Adult Education degree program. I believe that many graduates of California state approved, or whatever the case may be down in California, schools would find this as a dream come true.

    Adult education is one of the lower paid teaching positions, or at least from what I have seen, but it is also a very personally rewarding career. I worked as a adult basic education (ABE/GED) paraprofessional for three years and would like to go back as an administrator. For the past three months I have been researching learning theories/strategies and I do not believe that andragogy is the best instructional strategy to use for ABE/GED . One reason is that in recent years there are many more 16-21 year old learners in ABE/GED programs.

    TechWarrior I apologize that I did not respond with the specific campus.
  8. TechWarrior

    TechWarrior New Member

    I am just wondering whether this type of degree would fit into my future plans. My goal is to retire from the military in 3 years; flight instruct at a aviation fixed base operator, flight academy, or collegiate aviation program. I will be complete with the required flight training early this spring. I wonder if an education degree or an aviation specific degree would be more valuable in my chosen field. I am also interested in Embry-Riddle's Master in Aeronautical Science degree. Although, since I would be teaching...I would think IU's Adult Education degree would be beneficial as well. Any thoughts?

Share This Page