ABD (All But Dissertation) Programs

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by bjoe777, Aug 26, 2017.

  1. bjoe777

    bjoe777 New Member

    Does anyone know of universities that offer programs for ABD students?
  2. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member

    No .......
  3. Jan

    Jan Member

    In what academic field did you achieve ABD status?
  4. bjoe777

    bjoe777 New Member

    Education - Leadership and Management
  5. heirophant

    heirophant Well-Known Member

    No, nothing specifically for American 'ABD' students.

    But you might want to check out British and British-style PhDs 'by research'. I have no experience with them, but my impression from afar is that aspiring doctoral students contact a potential research supervisor who helps facilitate admission and then the student starts researching their dissertations immediately. So in effect most British doctoral programs appear to my American eyes like 'ABD' programs.

    Completing an American doctoral program all except for the dissertation research and writing, but through the comprehensive exam stage, might look like good preparation for one of these programs. Your potential supervisor will probably question you pretty intensely about why you didn't complete your dissertation the first time, so as to ensure that you have a reasonable chance of completing it with them.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  6. bjoe777

    bjoe777 New Member

    Off the top of your head, can you think of any British-style PhDs 'by research' universities? Will they be recognized by our (US) accrediting body?
  7. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    I could say this gently but I want to be sure you understand . . . you just need to do some homework. You need to do some basicbasic reading about the US system of accrediting universities and colleges. Then you need to read up on the British system. Then you need to read up on the system by which the degrees from one country are determined to be equivalent (or not) to those of another country. You could start here



    I'm saying this because it's clear that you don't know much about it. That's not a terrible thing but it's a situation that you need to correct if you're going to move forward. The fact is that 99% of British PhD programs are "by research." By the way that's also true for Australian PhDs as well as South African PhDs. This is a PhD you're considering. It's years and years of your time. Thousands and thousands of dollars. You have to become a bit of an expert before you even start. If you don't then you're likely to end up here


    We are happy to help . . . point the way . . . give some tips, but you have to do the heavy lifting yourself. Go check out those British universities. Start with Birmingham and Leicester. Depending on your subject area, other names will pop up. Get really good at google searching. You can do it.
  8. heirophant

    heirophant Well-Known Member

    PhD Study - University of Wales Trinity Saint David

    That's how most British universities offer their doctoral programs. The question then would be which ones welcome remote distance learning students. (Sometimes they can be vague about that, since it can be up to your supervisor.) You should do your own web search with the name of your subject and the words "distance learning" or perhaps "online". See whether any British, Australian or NZ doctoral programs come up. Then research them yourself.

    British universities aren't typically accredited by American accrediting bodies. Britain has its own Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. I think that generally speaking, anything reviewed and approved by the QAA will be recognized by American universities and employers as possessing the equivalent of American accreditation.

    You can find official lists of recognized British higher education institutions here:


    If you intend to use any degree (especially any foreign degree) to qualify for a professional license in the United States (or anywhere), you probably need to consult with your local professional licensing board to ensure that particular programs meet their education requirements.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  9. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    These do exist in the U.S. Walden has a PhD completion program. Gwynedd Mercy University has an Executive EdD for ABD students.
  10. me again

    me again Well-Known Member

    Click here for answers to your prayers.
  11. USGRAD

    USGRAD Member

  12. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    Manhattanville College and Gwynedd Mercy University appear to have very similar programs.
  13. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    I haven't really read through this one carefully but it would seem to fit the description: Athabasca University

    Graduate Transfer Credit
  14. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

  15. bjoe777

    bjoe777 New Member

    Thank you very much sanatone!
  16. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    That dissertation is probably going to throw you for a loop if finding a school/program through Google is an insurmountable task.

    Always happy to point the way. But this is a request to be spoon fed information on how to hunt and gather.

Share This Page