What is my job title?

Discussion in 'Online & DL Teaching' started by Pelican, Sep 19, 2011.

  1. Pelican

    Pelican Member

    I work under contract at a public university. My only responsibilities are teaching courses, I needn't conduct any research and I'm not a student at that school. I'm not on any tenure track.

    When preparing some document (e.g. my syllab, C.V.), I'm not sure how to list my position. I found some official school documents that list me as a "teaching assistant", but that might be a mistake, as I've never been asked to assist anyone and my work is entirely independent.

    I thought "Instructor" was just a general-use term, but slightly more appropriate word for "teacher", but the dictionary seems to have a very specific meaning: "A college or university teacher who ranks below an assistant professor". I don't know how this ranking system works and I don't want to use a title inappropriately. What should I use? I'm fine to use "teaching assistant" or whatever is indeed appropriate.
  2. Abner

    Abner Well-Known Member

    I would venture to say it is ok to use the title of "Instructor" since you are working independently.

    That's my opinion for what it is worth.

    Good job!

  3. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    Why guess? Ask your school's HR department.
  4. RFValve

    RFValve Well-Known Member

    If you only teach, you are an instructor or lecturer. If you want to make it look fancy, just describe yourself as "faculty member".

Share This Page