What can I do with a Ph.D in Human Services?

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by jeepnbeep, May 17, 2004.

  1. jeepnbeep

    jeepnbeep Member


    I am now somewhat convinced to switch degrees from Human Services to Psychology by a few of the posters.

    My current field is in the Mental Health / Professional Counselor. I have no desire to teach or do extensive research. My main purpose for obtaining a doctorate degree is for personal satisfaction and to obtain expertise / knowledge in better serving my clients.

    Please provide me your opinions to why Human Services is a better option for me. Why or why not?

    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2004
  2. NNAD

    NNAD New Member

    1) because you don't want to be a psychologist
    2) because the Human Services concentration may have a bit more variety and grounding in occupational application of counseling
    3) because you should go with what "feels" right.
    4) you'd be a bit unique
    5) You could still teach psych in most schools - you may be more suited to teach other courses with a human services type degree as well. One of my psych professors had an Ed D after a clinical psych MA. One of my Computer science profs had a PhD in testing psych, go figure.
    6) as with multiple choice exams, your first inpulse is usually correct.

    I have no experience with PhD programs - I've lurked around looking into programs just in case I go nuts and move on to a higher ed degree.

    Good luck - I say stick to your guns and make the degree about you, not make yourself in the image of the degree.
  3. bo79

    bo79 New Member


    I'm just wondering where are you doing your PhD in Human Services?

  4. Jack Tracey

    Jack Tracey New Member

    A PhD in Human Services (such as the one at Walden University) could conceivably work well for someone like myself who already has a license to practice but is interested in pursuing an area of special interest on the Doctoral level. A PhD in a non-clinical division of Psychology (such as Developmental Psychology or Cognitive Psychology) might serve equally well. If I were in your position I'd be looking at the research interests of the relevant faculty members as well as the dissertation abstracts from the past 5-10 years. This would give you a pretty good idea of the orientation of the Department and the variety of research they support. Good luck,
    (who has no connection to Walden)
  5. jeepnbeep

    jeepnbeep Member


    Hi Bo,

    I am going to Capella University.

    Are you looking at a particular program right now?


Share This Page