Veterinarian Technician

Discussion in 'Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approva' started by Jazz6794, Dec 24, 2012.

  1. Jazz6794

    Jazz6794 New Member

    Is PennFoster a legitimate online school for getting a Veterinarian Technician degree to be licensed in New York State?
  2. Ted Heiks

    Ted Heiks Moderator and Distinguished Senior Member Staff Member

    You would have to check with the licensing agency in New York to determine that. Some states might require professional accreditation (AVMA), some might require RA, and some might allow NA. Penn Foster has national accreditation through DETC.
  3. Jonathan Whatley

    Jonathan Whatley Well-Known Member

    Penn Foster College

    • doesn't hold regional accreditation, on the level of the whole school; licensing agencies sometimes look for this.

    • does hold national institutional accreditation, on the level of the whole school, from the Distance Education and Training Council.

    does hold specialized accreditation, on the level of the Veterinary Technician Distance Education Program, from the American Veterinary Medical Association.

    But note, at that link, several other distance learning programs to train veterinary technicians that are also accredited by the AVMA. It appears all the other AVMA programs are from regionally accredited schools; most are public community colleges, one, Purdue, is a great university.
  4. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    My wife has completed part of the San Juan College program. It is an RA college and is actually cheaper than Penn Foster, I think, there is some reason we went with it when we were searching. As of about two years ago when she started there were only a few AVMA accredited online programs. Good program, she just had to do some more general education stuff and life has gotten in the way.

    AVMA is all that matters....
  5. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    A very close friend of my is Registered Veterinary Technician.

    He had more work when he was just Veterinary Technician. In Veterinary Medicine Technicians don't have to be licensed in order to work as Technicians, all they need is to work under supervision of a Licensed DVM i.e Veterinarian.

    The economy is we know is bad so animal clinics are hiring unlicensed cheap Veterinary Technicians instead of Licensed once. For example instead of paying RVT 18 to 24 USD an hour they pay 10 to 14 to unlicensed Technicians who also clean the cages etc.

    Many RVT's complain to the board etc but without luck.
    Some do find a better paying work, working in Animal shelters putting animals to sleep.
  6. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    You are confusing two terms, Veterinary Assistant and Veterinary Technician. Veterinary Assistants are not required to be certified and don't have to have any formal training. Veterinary Technicians are required to be certified.
  7. Jonathan Whatley

    Jonathan Whatley Well-Known Member

  8. thomaskolter

    thomaskolter New Member

    I would like to point out most programs like this since its comparable to nursing or doing tech work on humans would have hands on training with animals in clinical settings which would be sought out if one is working with animals. Would you hire an on-line nurse to handle patiants in a medical setting?

    I would think a RA school you go to would be best for this in any case.
  9. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    All of the AVMA programs will have hands on clinical sessions. With the San Juan College program it is broken in to tiers and I think after the second tier you are required to get a job in a clinic and begin getting certain things signed off.
  10. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    Hi, I'm telling you the real situation on the market, anyone can study for Vet Tech certificate and get experience, maybe initially as assistant but once you get couple of years and Vet Tech education or foreign Vet Tech you don't need the license or certification in order to work as Veterinarian Technician.

    Read real testimonies.

    Why NOT to choose this profession. - Veterinary Technician Jobs |

    In many states the license, registration or certification is not required in order to work as Vet Tech.

    Go to become an RN is better.

    One more

    I personally know RVT's and hear the same all the time.
    SOme are foreign DVM's who are in process of becoming US licensed DVM's others went to college and studied Vet TEch for 2 years got degree and passed RVT exams.
    Majority are disappointed, one temporary had to sleep her car working in LA, S Cal.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  11. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    In Texas, in order to fall under the scope of practice of a vet tech, one has to be licensed. Being a veterinary technician doesn't pay as well as being a nurse, but nurses do have many gripes. It's not an easy job and MDs/ODs can also be hard to work with.
  12. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    You're talking about job satisfaction and I am talking about credentials. In the U.S., state depending, licensing is required.

    From Veterinary Technologists and Technicians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

    "Veterinary technologists and technicians must complete a postsecondary program in veterinary technology. Technologists need a 4-year bachelor’s degree, and technicians need a 2-year associate's degree. Typically, both technologists and technicians must take a credentialing exam and must become registered, licensed, or certified, depending on the state."

    An AS is the entry degree for the market.
  13. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    I'm trying to tell the readers that in most of the states in order to work as Veterinarian Technician LICENSE, CERTIFICATION or REGISTRATION are not I repeat are not required.

    Some small number of jobs usually for shelter do require technician registration by State but majority of the jobs are not required licensing.

    DVM must be licensed , Vet Tech - not regulated in most of the states.
  14. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    You're wrong... I am not sure what other proof you need. I am not sure where or how you are confused but I am moving on.
  15. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    Unregistered assistant referred to as Veterinary Technician, and do the same tasks as RVT, LVT or CVT as long as they are under proper supervision.

    They are cheaper then licensed technicians, a lot of times these can be foreign DVM's who are working as technicians wile they are pursuing US DVM or RVT license or not.

    RVT demands 18 to 25 USD per hour wile Unregistered assistant who can be a foreign DVM or Associate of Vet Tech graduate who didn't pass license exam, they earn 10 to 14 USD. AN overage of 12.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  16. JBjunior

    JBjunior Active Member

    Yes, unregistered assistants do not require any training and can work but they aren't called "unregistered vet techs" they are simply vet assistants. There are a lot of things that Vet Techs can do that assistants can't.

    The same can be said about why would you want to be an RN when you can be a CNA? The same can be said for many markets, why pay more for their training and expertise when I can get someone off the street with no training for cheaper?

    There is a market for Vet Techs, sorry to hear that some people out there are having issues.
  17. sanantone

    sanantone Well-Known Member

    I need to correct myself. Texas does not require licensure, but it does require that you be registered or certified by taking the national exam which requires an AVMA-accredited degree. This should settle the argument. From what I see, most states require either licensure, certification, or registration. In order to be licensed, certified, or registered; most states require graduation from a veterinary technology program that is either state-approved or AVMA accredited.
  18. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    Your statement "most states require either licensure, certification, or registration" is incorrect

    The truth is that almost most of the states don't protect the registered Vet Tech.
    This means that Employers are not obligated to hire Registered or Certified Vet Techs.

    I personally know number unemployed RVT's who will not work for 12 bucks an hour , but these jobs are going fast as non registered Vet Techs are taking them.

    So yes most of the states have rules and standards for registration/certification or licensing but they don't have laws that "force" Pet clinic owners to hire ONLY RVT/LVT
    And as I communicated in previous posts because that Animal hospitals don't hire expansive RVT's unless the RVT is villing to work for 14 bucks.

    City and State do require RVT/CVT/CVT for work in animal shelters and the pay is 18 to 25 an hour.
    These jobs were RVT helps with euthanasia - "good death" of animals.

    The law protects DVM you can't practice Veterinary medicine in USA if you are not Licensed DVM.

    But you can work in most of the states in USA as a Veterinary Technician without registration or licensing with a few exceptions.

    A person who is obtaining
    on-the-job training [while
    pursuing a veterinary
    technician license cab last 10 years or 20] may
    perform veterinary
    technician duties only
    under the direct
    supervision of a licensed
    veterinarian or licensed
    veterinary technician

    Immediate supervision is practically overrides most of the rules.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  19. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    State of Georgia:

    Any veterinary assistant
    must at all times be under
    the supervision of a
    licensed veterinarian
    whenever practicing
    veterinary technology in
    this state. The level of
    supervision shall be
    consistent with the
    delegated animal health
    care task. Subject to certain
    provisions, a licensed
    veterinarian may in his or
    her discretion delegate any
    animal health care task to a
    veterinary assistant

    I'm trying to save you disappointment, I see how some of the RVT's suffer. I love animals and take my pets occasionally to the vet. The clinic next to me is changing yjrit technicians all the time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  20. CalDog

    CalDog New Member

    State licensing laws vary widely, so this may be the case in some states. However, you cannot work as an unregistered or unlicensed Veterinary Technician in California. Since California is the largest state by population, this seems like a significant exception.

    In California, the title of "Veterinary Technician" (with or without the word "Registered") is restricted by law to California-licensed Registered Veterinary Technicians. If you aren't licensed, then by definition you aren't a "veterinary technician".

    If you are an unlicensed person, then you could still legally work in a vet office in California as an unregistered "veterinary assistant". However, state law gives RVTs more authority than unregistered assistants to perform animal health care tasks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012

Share This Page