TIU's statement re RA schools... puh-leeze!

Discussion in 'Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approva' started by adireynolds, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. adireynolds

    adireynolds New Member

    Hi folks,

    I got to help someone today about accreditation, which made me feel great! My bank called me today about some personal business, and the banking officer asked me for my opinion about his taking up an MBA program to further his career. He figured since I worked for a uni, I'd know about such things. :)

    He told me he was very interested in the MBA program from The International University, Missouri, US. Well, boy, was I happy to steer him clear from that group! He listened to me, too, especially the part about having a non-accredited degree can lose you your job and right to residence in this country.

    I was looking around the TIU site, and of course they don't allow you to right-click and copy anything, but I did want to share this excerpt with you (you can find the whole thing at http://www.tiuonline.com/about-us-accreditation.htm):

    "All degrees in USA, irrespective of their accreditation status are legal and equal before the Law and there is no discrimination on Degrees. There are around 650 Universities in USA which are accredited by Regionally Accredited Agencies (RAA) out of total number of aournd 4250 Universities in USA, which means around 16% of total no. of Universities are recognized by Department of Education, USA. The remaining 84% of Universities in USA are also Accredited including The International University (TIU) and these 84% of the Universities hold Accreditation from other Accrediting Bodies in USA."

    I had to laugh out loud at those numbers -- where on earth did they pull those from?

  2. Rich Douglas

    Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

    (Anatomy lesson inserted here....)

    This bunch has been operating from Missouri since the early 1970's. Tells you a lot about Missouri's role as a haven for mills. Well, venerated ones, at least.
  3. Bill Huffman

    Bill Huffman Well-Known Member

    Thank you for the story and good job helping that fellow!

    I get the impression that diploma mills aren't always competely honest. :)
  4. mineralhh

    mineralhh New Member

    A small puzzle...
    look at the photo in the top frame. It shows on the left hand "Prof. Dr. Raj" and on the right side "MBA graduates" in Dubai.

    Actually, this is a quite impressive photo showing lots of MBA graduates. However if we look carrfully, we see that this has to be a nicely done photoshop work...who else finds the head that appears twice in the photo?
  5. adireynolds

    adireynolds New Member

    Actually, that little group of people is repeated THREE TIMES! Great catch, mineralhh!

    You know, the person that asked for my opinion on this school said that TIU told him they didn't advertise in the paper, like all the accredited universities do here (and we have a BUNCH of foreign unis here -- private higher ed is a booming business in the UAE), but instead just let word of mouth do their advertising for them.

    I'm beginning to think that maybe I should write an article for the national newspaper about this; maybe I can help others. It's pretty serious business here in the UAE; if you are caught with a fradulent, or non-accredited degree (so even one from, say a state-approved school, like those in California), then you will be fired from your job and most likely deported. There's a service that has been set up by the government here that evaluates degree credentials for the companies that operate here, so they are definitely cracking down on such things.

    But anyways, as I mull over writing such an article, thanks for the laughs on the photoshopping!


Share This Page