Tired of comparing $ for Masters in Psychology

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by fairyrealm, Sep 14, 2008.

  1. LearningAddict

    LearningAddict Well-Known Member

    In nearly every state I've seen (like New York for instance), the term "Psychologist" is a protected title for Doctors of Psychology who have passed the state Psychologist's licensing exam. Also, in New York the degree has to be regionally accredited in order to be eligible, although that language may be changed or challenged at some point given the USDE's new position on accreditation designations.

    I have seen DL programs that include the in-person hours component but I doubt there are many of them, so there is a good chance you'd have to relocate.
  2. BlueMason

    BlueMason Audaces fortuna juvat

    Just wanted to add the since COVID hit, many insurance providers who previously only covered counseling through psychologists, have added registered counselors/psychotherapists. Most provinces have regulatory bodies for counseling, but there is also the CCPA, which is the gold-standard for counselors. For US based programs, ensure they are CACREP accredited to allow registration. I checked in my province and the programs I ran past them were all recognized (regionally accredited universities and the programs were CACREP accredited). That being said, I am pursuing the MS in Clin Psy at Capella. Alberta allows registration as a psychologist with that degree and is one of the few provinces that only require a masters, rather than a doctorate.
  3. RFValve

    RFValve Well-Known Member

    Thanks for sharing. Just to clarify, CCPA is not a regulatory body. CCC certification might be recognized by insurance purposes but it is not regulated by law. Psychologist is the only regulated term in most provinces. Most provinces also do not recognize DL degrees for psychologist professions, Alberta might be the exception but make sure that your DL degree would be recognized by the province where you want to practice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Dustin likes this.
  4. Dustin

    Dustin Well-Known Member

    To add to this, Alberta has Psychologist II and Psychologist I - with Psychologist II being the traditional doctoral-level clinician and Psychologist I being the Masters-level: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/Page11722.aspx

    In Ontario there used to be the Psychological Associate title for those Masters-level clinicians, but this might have changed. CRPO (Registered Psychotherapist) is the new psychotherapy body in Ontario, which does have title protection but I have no idea what the insurance acceptance is like. The health plans I dealt with all required either a Licensed Psychologist, or Registered Social Worker (RSW) for reimbursement.

Share This Page