Speech Pathology

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by Haldamir, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. Haldamir

    Haldamir New Member

    Hi everyone!

    I'm trying to find a Speech Language Pathology program that is at the Masters level and offered online. My goal is to be a Speech Pathologist in California. I'm not exactly sure how the credentialing process works. I've looked into it and it seems like you just have to have an MS in Speech Path and then you fulfill whatever experiential requirements they want you to, and then you're good to go.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator

    Hi Haldamir, welcome to Degree Info. Here's some info for new members: http://www.degreeinfo.com/general-distance-learning-discussions/35100-new-users-ask-where-did-my-posts-go.html

    Before you begin any program, you should check carefully with the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board to insure that your program will meet the requirements. The program you attend has to be on their list of approved schools. They also have some tests you need to pass. More info here: Licensing - Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board
  3. japhy4529

    japhy4529 House Bassist

    All Masters level Speech-Language Pathology programs in the US are accredited by ASHA (The American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association). You're in luck, as there are a number of graduate SLP programs available online, including CSU-Northridge.

    On the asha.org site, you may search for all accredited programs. Unfortunately, ASHA recently updated their search engine and it is no longer possible to directly search for DL programs (this information is provided when you click on a school's link in the search results). In addition, a number of schools offer the required undergraduate pre-requisite courses online. To begin searching for SLP pre-reqs, try copy/pasting the following search string in google:

    prerequisite speech pathology "distance learning OR education" site:.edu

    CSU-Northridge, Utah State University and a number of other schools offer online SLP pre-reqs (note when searching that the SLP is often referred to as "Communication Sciences and Disorders" or similar - it's all the same thing). USU and a couple of other schools offer the option to complete a second bachelors degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders.

    Best of luck!
  4. SurfDoctor

    SurfDoctor Moderator

Share This Page