RA University accepts N/A degrees

Discussion in 'Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approva' started by Disciple, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Disciple

    Disciple New Member

    There is an american RA university who accepts people in the master program if they have a 128 credit bachelor, even if it is from an unaccredited institution... is this allowed for a RA university?
  2. What school?

    What university is this that engages in this as policy?

    I'm not sure if it is wrong for them to do so, but it may raise some eyebrows among their accreditors since one of the facets of accreditation is how and what type of students are accepted into their institutions.
  3. MarkIsrael@aol.com

    [email protected] New Member

    Your title seems to say that they accept Nationally Accredited Bachelor's degrees. (Several RA universities do accept DETC credits and, I presume, degrees.)

    Your body says that they accept unaccredited degrees.

    Which is it?

    Note that some RA schools admit people for Master's degrees who have no Bachelor's degree at all. Previously discussed here: http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9992
  4. Ike

    Ike New Member

    Yes. NA degrees are accredited. NA is not an unaccredited degree.

    Ike Okonkwo, PhD
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2004
  5. George Brown

    George Brown New Member

    This is an interesting topic. Within the definition of an Australian university, universities are permitted to select and admit students as they see fit - this freedom of choice comes as part of their autonomy. As such, there is no reason why an Australian university cannot allow a student with a Masters degree from Saint Regis University into their doctoral program. Scary stuff? Indeed, but it all boils down to educating admissions staff and follow guidelines of recognition. I have always been interested in knowing what reference material universities use to make their choices - Commonwealth Universities Handbook, NOOSR puplications (woefully out of date), Bears Guide???


  6. Kirkland

    Kirkland New Member

    The title of the thread is NA but you ask about unaccredited institutions. Let's focus on unaccredited: it is not uncommon for RA universities to accept transfers from unaccredited universities, typically on a provisional basis. Troy State Univ. and Auburn University are two that come to mind. This is what Auburn has to say:

    "Students transferring from unaccredited institutions or programs may be granted provisional credit. When such credit is allowed, the final amount of credit will be determined upon completion by the student of one year of course work at Auburn University . If a C average is not achieved, the amount of credit will be reduced in proportion to the number of hours in which the student fails to earn a C average or better."
  7. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    Yes, that's allowed. In fact, if you have a Master's from a dubiously accredited university you can even teach at a regionally accredited university without the RA school risking their status if you can show that your instructors in the dubious program themselves had degrees from RA schools.

    I know this because I'm on the staff of Keiser College, which is regionally accredited, and would like to moonlight in the same place as an adjunct. I need 18 postgraduate credits to do that, and I'm considering getting them from Everglades University, which is accredited nationally but not (yet) regionally.

    To answer the inevitable, "Why Everglades?": Because it's owned by the same company that owns Keiser, so I'd have free tuition. Otherwise I'd be exclusively interested in RA schools. Besides, Everglades is a decent school. They'll get SACS accredited now that they're applying for it, just not fast enough for me not to have to think about it. :)

  8. Speaking of RA using faculty with unaccredited degrees....

    Did y'all know that there's a certain faculty member at the University of Maine at Machias whose only qualification is a degree from Saint Regis University? See this link....


    Not trying to "out her" or anything, but this is an extreme example of where someone can have a degree that many of us would consider below the lowest of the low, and STILL have a faculty/teaching position at an RA institution.

    Possibly they just don't know? But I find that hard to believe with all the information out there in the Chronicle, etc. which academics are prone to follow - in particular provost types who would be checking up on the qualifications of their faculty.

    Anyone know what's going on here? How CAN this be??
  9. MarkIsrael@aol.com

    [email protected] New Member

    Interesting find, Carl, but -- she's not exactly a professor. She's an athletics coach. "Ruth Moore is a world class instructor of the martial arts and a member of both the Martial Arts Master, Pioneers, Living Legends Hall of Fame and the United States Martial Arts Association's Black Belt Hall of Fame [...] with a black belt in several disciplines [...]". http://www.umm.maine.edu/athletics/fitness/index.shtml

    Probably, no degree at all is required for her position. I don't see how a Master's in Social Science is relevant to her job.

    I agree that UMM should remove mention of the SRU degree, though.
  10. Ooops...

    Good follow-on research Mark. Nevertheless, she has a "faculty page", and for all intents and purposes is more in that camp than, say, the student body. I still find it amazing that a fairly respected RA university would have a faculty/instructor/or whatever-we-want-to-call-her with an SRU degree prominently displayed on the public institutional web site.
  11. Bill Huffman

    Bill Huffman Well-Known Member

    This similar thing has happened probably over a half dozen times on this forum. IIRC, when the school was asked about it the response was always along the lines that the unaccredited degree was not required for the position and within a few days mention of the unaccredited degree was removed from the website.

Share This Page