PhD through Credential Evaluation?

Discussion in 'Accreditation Discussions (RA, DETC, state approva' started by jdlaw93, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. jdlaw93

    jdlaw93 New Member

    I currently hold an MPA degree and a JD degree from regionally accredited universities in the United States. Both graduate degrees, as well as, my undergraduate BS degree have been earned through the traditional brick and mortar means. I have been admitted to practice law in 3 different states and have been practicing law for over 14 years, the last 7 of which have been as a managing attorney for a large government agency. I have just completed an extensive independent research manuscript on the relationship between law and public policy which is ready for publication.

    My question:

    Is there a legitimate university or credentialing institution that would award a PhD degree after a thorough review of both my regionally accredited graduate degrees, professional work experience, State licensors, and the extensive research manuscript I am about to publish?

    I am not seeking for the institution to be regionally "accredited', but I have no interest in a diploma mill either. I simply am seeking academic recognition for the professional and academic efforts I have put forth over the last 14 years. I am fully prepared to withstand the highest level of academic scrutiny with respect to my credentials. :confused:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2006
  2. Randell1234

    Randell1234 Moderator Staff Member

    I know there are several foreign university’s that offer research only PhD's. You can search here for research only PhD's. I know they are out there.

    Good luck-
  3. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    I think Randell provided good advise.

    May I also recommend you apply for Fellowship with City and Guilds Institute London.

    FCG I is a comparable award to PhD or Doctoral degree, level 8 in UK.
    CGLI is Royal Chartered in us it is the equivalent to RA, NA.

    Now there are couple of recognized and respected US credential evaluators that will evaluate FCGI as a PhD equivalent.

    I can't guaranty you will get FCGI but its is wort it to try.

    Now you will be very satisfied if do some new work and research
    and actually earn a PhD.

    UNISA I think offers research PhD and other European Universities as well.

    I don't recommend unaccredited degree.

    I also think you have above Masters degree - Juries Doctor is a first professional degree its advanced Graduate degree.

    By the way the new format of CGLI diplomas states the comparible level of UK NQF - National Qualifications Framework.

    The new MCGI diploma states that its a level 7 award.
    FCGI is level 8 - the highest.

    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006
  4. laferney

    laferney Member

    Over the past few years I have written to almost every university in the English speaking workd to inquire if they would review advanced unversity work (CAGS) and many published papers in consideration for a doctoral degree. None would . Dr.Bear reports in a previous post that there are no unversities that will award a doctoral degree based solely on past work. (accredited ones)Even PHD's by published works require substantial work in that you must write a unifying paper linking all your work together.
    Does Lerner have a website about the City and Guilds Institute London - is this really an option?
  5. raristud2

    raristud2 New Member

  6. laferney

    laferney Member

  7. me again

    me again Well-Known Member

    I know of no regionally accredited college or university that would give you a doctoral degree based upon the criteria that you have established, with the exception of honorary doctorates.

    There is only one university that is DETC accredited -- and there is debate about whether DETC actually covers that particular doctoral program because DETC doesn't accredit doctoral programs. IMO if DETC doesn't accredit doctoral programs, then the doctorate-in-question is not DETC accredited.

    Within these two American parameters, I know of no other alternatives, with the exception of religious schools that have their own accreditation systems. I am not familiar with how they operate.

    There are also non-American alternatives. I am not familiar with how they work.
  8. laferney

    laferney Member

    CGIL awards who can apply?

    IS the Fellowship with City and Guilds Institute London only open to those in vocational trades as Engineering or business or can people in mental health, nursing or other healthcare disciplines receive this award?
  9. Dave Wagner

    Dave Wagner Active Member

    You might consider searching the web for the "higher doctorate" still offered by many foreign universities as the basis for a full professorship. My understanding is that it is awarded using a review committee based on extraordinary research and publishing beyond the Ph.D. Perhaps your JD and extensive research would qualify you. From memory the University of Warsaw and Murdoch University in Australia are possibilities. It seems this is still happening in Australia and I don't see it hardly mentioned on South African websites. Note this is not an honorary doctorate and it is sometimes not well advertised on the website. I don't know what the future of this degree is after the Bologna accord.

  10. bullet

    bullet New Member

    yep, there is.

    I have written extensivly about a University that can do this procedure due to their educational system.
  11. Dave Wagner

    Dave Wagner Active Member

    Re: yep, there is.

    If you would be willing to refresh our memories, I would appreciate it.

  12. bullet

    bullet New Member

    dissertation is a must

    Goto DL Discussion Forum.

    The missing element is you have to write a Dissertation.
  13. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    Re: dissertation is a must

    Oh, is that all? ;)

    A friend of mine joked that if he applied to a South African program, as soon as he was accepted he'd list himself as ABD.

  14. morleyl

    morleyl New Member

    City and Guilds is good but very selective.

    Check university of Teeside

    Their DProf can be done by distance. Probably still need a final report
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  15. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    The US Department of Education's report called Mapping The World of Education indicated the following information about City & Guilds.

    "NOTE: The following list of vocational and professional awards includes those of the major examining bodies: the City and Guilds of London Institute (trades and professions of all types;.... Pitman Examinations Institute (secretarial studies);...these are the leading providers of vocational and professional awards. In addition, there are several hundred professional societies and associations which offer credentials deemed equivalent to educational awards. These credentials either require the prior possession of a specific educational award or may legally be substituted for it. Refer to the latest edition of British Qualifications, the official guide to all United Kingdom awards, for current information." (USDE,2000)"

    US DOE tels us that
    These credentials deemed equivalent to educational awards
  16. bullet

    bullet New Member

    Steve F

    Steve F:

    Ha, ha ! Good one !

    Yes, "only" a dissertation..........................,which is usually the subject at hand.

    Two points to rescue:

    Earning a PhD via publication is the absolute minium you can do for a legit degree.

    If you wouldn`t have to do the dissertation, who would want the (that) PhD?

    The absolute "easy-est" Doctorate to earn is the Professional DBA ..........with a one year Internship. But you still have to write a final if writing is the problem, then, it`ll be a PhD`less world for a long time.

    Other than that, Academia just won`t stand for a prior learning PhD........................................(Phd Light).
  17. jdlaw93

    jdlaw93 New Member

    I appreciate the dialogue. However, I'm confused. The dialogue seems to imply that the writing of a "dissertation" may be of concern. In fact I have recently completed an "extensive independent research manuscript on the relationship between law and public policy which is ready for publication". My question was more geared toward using that research paper as the "dissertation" and my prior academic graduate work to cover the academic component of the Ph.D. program. :confused:
  18. SteveFoerster

    SteveFoerster Resident Gadfly Staff Member

    I don't think anyone meant to suggest you couldn't do it -- I certainly didn't.

    However, what if the situation is that the school expects you to write something under their supervision, and not allow you simply to submit what you've already done? I think that's what you may face here.

  19. RobbCD

    RobbCD New Member

    Indeed, my understanding is that schools that offer a "PhD by published works" restrict these offerings to faculty and some alumni, or offer those as honorary degrees to comencement speakers. Open University in the UK has such a program for its alumi, IIRC.

    The only other schools that offer degrees by published works are the mills, and a degree from them will detract from, rather than add to, your reputation (and CV).
  20. Bill Huffman

    Bill Huffman Well-Known Member

    Robb said what I was just going to post. Here's a few other things I have heard on the board but have no personal experience with. The PhD by publication seems to be a UK (and perhaps commonwealth) practice. I don't believe there's typically any official policy that specifies current faculty and alumni only. It is not very common. Another thing that I've seen mentioned in the past on this topic is that the best hope of getting this kind of PhD would seem to be to develop a relationship with a professor that could then sponser the application at his university.

Share This Page