Newbie - Info on these DL Institutions & Graduate Degrees

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by bmeyer, Nov 3, 2001.

  1. bmeyer

    bmeyer New Member

    I'm looking for any information regarding the Graduate programs in Leadership at either Bellevue University or Duquesne University.

    I have a BS in Elementary Education from the U of Wisconsin - Stevens Point in 1992. I have since joined the US Air Force where I have aspirations for a position commensurate with upper level management and leading large numbers of people in the enlisted ranks.

    I've just started my research into good DL schools and programs and these are the ones that keep coming up. Does anyone have experience within these programs? Or with these institutions? Also...anyone know of any other "leadership" type programs that might be beneficial for someone aspiring to upper level management postions within a large organization (such as the military).

    I might mention also that the military itself offers lots of "leadership" type courses and schools, but I'm looking for something outside the "military" box.
  2. Tom Head

    Tom Head New Member

    Both are excellent schools; Bellevue has been a pioneer in nontraditional education for years, and Duquesne is a respected brick-and-mortar school with recent forays into the distance learning market.

    Of the two, I would probably favor Bellevue; it's probably cheaper, and I've always been thoroughly impressed with the friendliness of the staff. But Duquesne has some factors to recommend it as well, and I wouldn't be ashamed to hold a degree from either school.

    Good luck!


    Tom Head

    co-author, Bears' Guide to the Best Education Degrees by Distance Learning (Ten Speed Press)
    co-author, Get Your IT Degree and Get Ahead (Osborne/McGraw-Hill)
  3. bmeyer

    bmeyer New Member

    Thanks Tom...I appreciae the quick response. Like I said...I've just started my research, so I'm still looking.

    I'm going to definitely pick up a copy of one of Mr. Bear's books though...looks like a mandatory read for people looking at DL.

    Thanks again,
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Power Quote of the Week, Blake. Until you have a copy in hand you might want to check out the website which will highlight a lot of the information in Dr. Bear's books.

    Welcome to the forum!

  5. Bruce

    Bruce Moderator

    Both are good schools, as Tom mentioned I would be happy with either one.

    If prestige matters to you, Duquesne rates higher in that category, but also costs more. If you can get the Air Force to pick up the tab and everything else is equal, I'd probably go with Duquesne.

    Another option you might check out is Fort Hays State University in KS, they offer a Master of Liberal Studies (MLS) with an optional concentration in Leadership Studies.

  6. bmeyer

    bmeyer New Member

    Russell - Thanks, but I already made it that site during my initial research. I found some great information there...not to mention the list of institutions that I used to conduct my research.

    Bruce - Thanks also...I saw the Ft. Hays program but didn't really think it fit into what I was looking for.

    The 2 programs I mentioned seem to be the best that I can find. I've done plenty of searches on both and can't seem to find anything negative about either.

    I'd still love to hear from anybody who has positive/negative comments about either school or program. Thanks again for the input.

  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    If you are intersted in expanding your major a little you might try the MBA program at Touro University International. It is RA and free to active duty military. After TA covers your 75 % they write off the other 25% as a scholarship. Texts are on line and so free. The program is conducted 100% on line and is Regionally Accredited.


  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I will add a couple more.

    Regent University has an M.A. in Organizational Leadership that is RA & done by distance learning.

    If you want something with a religious slant Liberty U offers a M.A.R with an emphasis on leadership studies. The courses are done by video tape. Discount for military.

    Best of luck!



Share This Page