MS in Accounting & CPA States Requirements

Discussion in 'Business and MBA degrees' started by Pilot, Mar 8, 2011.

  1. Pilot

    Pilot Member

    1. Is it possible to take the CPA examination in a different state than the one I reside in?
    The requirements vary greatly from state to state..
    Gleim Accounting: CPA: Exam Requirements by State
    Has anyone done that in the past?

    2. I am currently looking at the liberty university master in accounting and would like to get some input from current or past students as well as advice on similar program that might better Priced..
    MS in Accounting | Liberty University Online
    Thank you
  2. Pilot

    Pilot Member

    I just checked and there are 21 hours of accounting at the undergrad level for the program
    Master of Science in Accounting Degree Requirements | Liberty University Online
    Is this standard? Thanks
  3. AUTiger00

    AUTiger00 New Member

    Yes, that is standard. I know UNC-Chapel Hill has a MAcc degree designed specifically for students who didn't major in accounting as undergrads, but that program isn't available online. Typically a MAcc program is going to require that you have had course work in the fundamentals of accounting.
  4. CalDog

    CalDog New Member

    I am not a CPA, but have state licenses in other disciplines.

    In my experience, yes, you can apply for licensure in any state that you want. For example, let's assume that you live in California, and that California has rigorous education and experience requirements to take the CPA exam. Let's assume that it is much easier to qualify for the CPA exam in Arizona (I have no idea if this is true, I am just using these two states as hypothetical examples). In this case, you should be perfectly free to apply for CPA licensure in Arizona, and to take CPA licensing exams in Arizona.

    Unfortunately, there is a problem with this approach: it will yield an Arizona CPA license. You would probably find that an Arizona CPA license is legally worthless in your home state of California. Typically you can't provide professional services to in-state clients with an out-of-state license. Your Arizona license would only be good for projects in Arizona -- not California.


    Now, if you earn an Arizona license, you could apply for a second license by California by reciprocity. If California and Arizona use the same licensing exam, then California should accept your exam result from Arizona.

    Unfortunately, there is a problem with this approach. States typically have other licensing requirements besides the examination; they usually require specific kinds of education and experience as well. In this case, you presumably can't meet California's education and experience requirements -- because that was the whole point of applying for licensure in Arizona instead.

    So in this case, California would probably reject your application for licensure by reciprocity. You met California's exam requirement (by taking the exam in Arizona) -- but you still wouldn't meet California's education and experience requirements.


    Can't say for certain that this is how would work in your situation; licensing rules vary from discipline to discipline and from state to state. However, this is how it works in the licensed disciplines that I am familiar with.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  5. JeepNerd

    JeepNerd New Member

    MOST of the states have reciprocity agreements in place so that you can "easily" move your license to the new state. (In theory you are then licensed and report to both states your CPE, etc.)

    Florida is one of the exceptions, if you do not meet the 150 hours rules they will not honor your CPA from NC. (A couple partners at my firm were talking about that)

    I believe ALL the states now require 150 hours but the degree can be from other states, and you just have to have the 150 PLUS the xx hours in accounting (law, etc) and then you can sit.

    It has been a while, I know you can still call yourself a CPA (in Florida) but must identify that you are a CPA(NC) or something to that effect. Heck of a lot easier to just get your 150/Masters.
  6. CalDog

    CalDog New Member

    The ease of reciprocity usually depends on your specific qualifications, as well as on agreements between the states. If you meet certain minimum levels for education and experience, and pass a standardized national exam, then reciprocity is normally straightforward. But there are also gray areas, where your education or experience might be acceptable in some states, but not in others. If your qualifications fall into one of these gray areas, then reciprocity is not assured.

    For example, suppose you want to pursue a Professional Engineer (PE) license. If you have an ABET-accredited engineering degree, then it facilitates reciprocity; you can count on meeting the education requirement for licensure in every state. But if you don't have an ABET degree, then the situation is not so straightforward. Depending on the state, your degree might be accepted, or additional work experience might be required, or it might be flatly rejected.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  7. major56

    major56 Active Member

    The Texas State Board of Public Accountancy will only accept RA universities /colleges AND re the business school or accounting program “…accreditation recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as a specialized or professional accrediting organization. Examples of a specialized or professional accrediting organization are the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business-International (AACSB) or the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).”
    I would suppose that IACBE accredited B-schools are now also acceptable.

    : Texas Administrative Code

Share This Page