Master's Courses while Finishing Bachelor's

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by proracer, Sep 15, 2008.

  1. proracer

    proracer Member

    I am in a bachelors program with CCU. My major is in business. I want to continue the school work and finish with a masters degree.

    This is what I want to do....I want to work on the bachelors and masters at the same time.

    I am interested in a masters in education. Can I take courses while still enrolled in the bachelors program? Or, do I have to finish the bachelors first?

  2. Randell1234

    Randell1234 Moderator Staff Member

    I would say the majority of the masters programs will require a completed bachelors for admission (I never say all because that is never correct). What school are you looking at for a masters?
  3. proracer

    proracer Member

    I am looking at Fort Hayes State University. They have a MS in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Education Technology.

  4. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef


    You can do both, but you just have to be sure you can do it in the way that you want. For example, are you wanting to double dip credits (use for both degrees) or simply be completing them both at the same time? Double dipping is tricky, and controversial on this board :) If you are not going to double dip, your options are better.

    One place you can take masters courses without a bachelor degree (limit 3) is Harvard Extension. It's not the cheapest option, but it's open enrollment for classes, and you can choose to earn a degree down the road later. I think most of their masters degrees require 10 courses, so you could do 3 before you apply. Grad classes are about $1800 total for 4 credits (registration fee of $50)

    Another open enrollment grad program (education only) is through the annenburg media website. Go to and look around for the credit/courses link. It's very cheap, I think under $200 per credit if I remember. Simply watch the videos and mail in your homework. The classes are all either 2 or 3 credits. The down side of these credits, is that you can't earn a degree, only earn grad credit.
  5. proracer

    proracer Member

    Thanks, I will look into those.....

  6. TCord1964

    TCord1964 New Member

    Some schools will let you enroll in master's level courses without actually enrolling in a program, but only up to a certain number of credits. Also, some schools will require that you be a certain number of credits away from earning the undergrad degree before you can enroll in the graduate degree.

    I actually looked into this quite a bit when I was looking for master degree programs in the U.S. that would let students enroll with no undergad at all, which a few U.K. schools do allow. There aren't a lot of U.S. schools which permit this, but there are a few out there.
  7. japhy4529

    japhy4529 House Bassist

    Aspen University used to allow entry into their graduate programs without a Bachelors, however they stopped the practice last year.

    Commonwealth Universities often allow this practice, especially with relevant experience in the given field.

  8. japhy4529

    japhy4529 House Bassist

    Hi Jennifer,

    Do you have any more details regarding the Annenberg site? The site looks great, but I don't see any info regarding earning college credit (unless your school is a member).

  9. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef


    You might have followed the wrong link, it's a bit hidden.
    Go to and then click on the "workshops/courses" tab.
    Once there, you'll see the "graduate credit" link on your left. Click.
    This main list is the list of 2 and 3 credit courses you can choose from. Click on the "enrollment" link under the course you are interested in for more information.

    You DO NOT need to be part of a group (ie school moderated workshop) to take the classes or earn credit. You can take them as an independent. I was a very close to signing up for one a while back, the process is very easy once you look around and get your bearings.

    The credit/transcript is actually issued by Colorado State University.

    Here is the direct link:

    ALSO, I wanted to edit the cost information. I overstated the tuition, it's actually MUCH cheaper! "Include a payment of $170 for each 2-credit workshop or $255 for each 3-credit course you select. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Colorado State University. " So, you are looking at $85 per credit for grad level education credit, now THAT'S a deal!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  10. japhy4529

    japhy4529 House Bassist

    Jennifer! You rock! Thanks for this. I am 19 credits (1 WER and 18 free electives) shy of completing my A.S. through Excelsior. I think I might take a few of these courses to wrap things up.

  11. alleycat1

    alleycat1 New Member

    Jennifer this site about grad credit at Colorado is a gold mine. I looked at it and they don't even ask for transcripts for your undergrad. This is a great way for anyone working on a degree to start getting grad credits lined up. Great find Thank you!

Share This Page