Master of Arts or Master of Science Psych. degree?

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by wssf, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. wssf

    wssf New Member

    What's the major difference between a Master of Arts degree or a Master of Science degree in Psychology? Which do you feel would be better?
  2. Anthony Pina

    Anthony Pina Active Member

    If University A offers only an MA in psych, while University B offers only an MS, then there would typically be no difference between the two degrees. choose the university that offers the best program for you.

    When the same university offers the option of an MA or an MS, then the MS degree will usually require more quantitative/statistics coursework than the MA. Sometimes, you will see programs that offer an MA in social psychology or educational psychology versus an MS in experimental psychology or clinical psychology. Your career goals would determine which degree would most sufficiently meet your needs.

    Tony Pina
    Adminisrator, Northeastern Illinois University
    (My masters, an M.Ed., was in educational psychology. It has served me well.)
  3. Jodokk

    Jodokk Member

    Howz this?

    How about UWA's Masters of Science in Continuing Education in Psychology/Counseling. I haven't been able to find anyone, even my advisor there who knows what the MSCE means (as in technically, not definitively), or what it indicates. Any takers?

  4. Jack Tracey

    Jack Tracey New Member

    OK, I'll bite. Some schools have different nomenclature for the degrees earned through their Continuing Education Division. With a glance you can tell if the degree was earned during regular "daytime" schooling or through night school (or DL). Beyond that there may be no difference as to requirements.
  5. Jodokk

    Jodokk Member

    So, in your learned opinion, would you think that the "Continuing Education" designation on the transcript looks less than wonderful to a potential employer, specifically, a local community college for an adjunct position, or the the federal government?
  6. SteveJM

    SteveJM New Member

    I take it to mean that the degree is an education degree (much like the M.Ed. degrees offered by UWA), rather than a degree earned from the evening school. If you look at the foundation courses for the MSCE in Counseling/Psychology, they are rooted in education:

    ED 500 Foundations of Education
    ED 504 Techniques of Educational Research
    ED 506 Educational Statistics
    EP 500 Educational Psychology

    Even if it does mean that the degree was earned in the evening, I would think it would give you an edge in finding an adjunct position, since, most likely as an adjunct, you'll be teaching in the evening.

    Just my thoughts...
  7. Jodokk

    Jodokk Member

    Heck, I'll buy that. Thanks.
    Dan B

Share This Page