Expert advise request in Psychology degrees.

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by xygirl, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    I hope you can advise me with ANYthing, because I've been trying to find out so much and I get more and more confused.
    My situation = I will not get to the States within the next 10 years and will be traveling abroad all the time.
    I wanted a DrPsy degree, but I guess I can forget that now that I will not be able to attend a university.

    What my interests are : rehabilitation counseling or any psychology that involves helping out. Anything medical has always been of my interest.

    Well, not just that, but what I do wish to figure out is what degree can I get through DL that will give me 'good' chances in future jobs. I'm looking for a high degree and don't mind more years of education(I'm 31).
    I will have a bachelor's degree in psychology with me. I would like to work for the State Department for example.
    I know many people have psych education, so I want to stick out in competition if you understand what I mean. I'd like to get a good salary as well. I know there's a lot with DL but when it comes to acreditation or licensure......?
    I don't mind the study-years, but not to find out later that I can't use it.

    I really would like to establish a goal and settle down my mind that's going crazy of researching. Now that I know I wont go to the States, I have to change my goals and would like to know my options.

    I hope you understand me and would so much appreciate some guidance or good advise from the experts around here.
  2. Xarick

    Xarick New Member

    A bachelors in psychology is next to useless in the field of psychology. A masters is the bare minimum required to do what you want. a PHD or PsyD are gonna be absolutely necessary for many state jobs.
  3. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    I totally agree, but is there a way online?? That 's my problem!
    I mean an online degree that will be usefull without problems of accreditation or licensure.
  4. GME

    GME New Member

  5. xygirl

    xygirl New Member


    Hello and thank you for that information.
    I really think Fielding, Capella and NCU are good options, but the first to require some time to be there and so that leaves NCU for me.
    Can someone tell me what happens if you get a degree that is NOT APA accredited? Because none of the online are. I'm talking accredited by APA.
    If I wanted a job with the governement or State Department, what can happen? They just don't accept your degree, but what can one then do?

    Thanks to all the advisers here, it's great!!!
  6. GME

    GME New Member

    Re: Hello.

    Graduating from an accredited but non-APA school will limit you and in some casees (Florida being an example) seems to be a total bar to licensure. Remember, APA programs -always- have clinical training and a clinical internship as part of their program (btw, I checked California's laws and at least they will allow clincal training overseas, but the burden is on the trainee to establish to their satisfaction that it was equivalent to US-based training).

    Some elements of the Federal govt seem to require APA graduation to serve as a clinical psychologist (I belive the armed forces require this, for instance). So as far as working as a clinical psychologist in the Fed govt, coming from a non-APA school may limit or prohibit you (I'd really try to find that out before doing anything if I were you).

    For non-clinical positions, it would be very surprising if the Feds required APA approval over and above regional accreditation (of course anything is possible).

    Finally, note that Northcentral does not apper to offer a clinical doctorate, rather an academic doctorate in general psychology. This will be a severe limitation to licensure in most jurisdictions (again, California being the only exception that I know of).

  7. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    Thank you

    Thanks for explaining me this GME.
    You ARE an expert.
    I do have one more concern if you don't mind.
    Say I would first get a Masters in Rehabilitation Counseling, so that I can get a job in that. Would I be limited in any way (such as accredited or license problems) to work in any way (governmental or not)?
    These degrees are easy to find online and later I could still enroll for a Dr degree I suppose.
    Thank you.
  8. GME

    GME New Member

    Re: Thank you

    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Rehab Counseling and anything about how it is licernsed or registered.

  9. Catlady

    Catlady New Member

    It looks like you are still really unsure about what it is you want to do beyond "helping" in the medical field. Before you tackle one or more graduate programs that may end up not meeting your needs, you should try to talk to people in the field that you're trying to enter. You don't sound like you really even know what is involved with the job you are seeking. I think you have a lot more research on that end to do before you start picking schools.

    I made the mistake of going into nursing without a clear idea of what it entailed, and I've been basically stuck with that choice for over 20 years, and have almost never enjoyed my work.
  10. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    I understand, but I do really know that my interest is Rehabilitation Counseling and have read a lot about it.
    However, I would need to know for sure if I first need a Master and can then still get a Doctorat. I know it's not 'necessary' but I also know that a Dr degree gives you a better chance AND better salary AND still I can counsel people.
    So, that's where I'm still stuck.
  11. Jeremy

    Jeremy Member

    rehab psych

    ok I looked into rehab counselor which I am not too familiar with. The recognized certification is from
    eligibility has multiple pathways but a masters degree is the minimum. In addition to maintain certification you must accrue CE or retake the certification exam. Graduation from a proffesionally accredited program is not required but the institution must be accreditetd.

    This field focuses of vocational rehabilition and does not have full scope counseling that would allow for easy transition into general counseling or psychologist.

    In reguards to state licensure it varies between states some require regional accreditation so NCU woudl work, others require APA accreditation to be a psychologist.

    Emplyment in the federal system is hard to generalize but if you look at jobs in teh VA hospitals ( they require a license in any state and atleast 1 year post doc experience. So not graduating from an APA program may allow this but APA may give you a boost in your applicaiton.

    There are other options that may be available to you in health care careers. Have you considered imaging technologists or even respr. therapy? Both of these careers may be eligable to be completed oversees. I know you were initially interested in physical therapy, you can complete an accredited masters in kinesiology and become registered in that field. It does not provide the flexability of physical therapy but there is still work available. And if you decide to enroll in physical therapy when you are in the states at least you will have a related degree.

    Good luck with your future,
  12. Clapper

    Clapper New Member

    Re: rehab psych

    Unlike Capella and Walden, both which have APA-based programs in clinical and counseling intended for licensure as a psychologist, NCU does not similarly advertise their psychology PhD program. Perhaps in some states -- California comes to mind -- where the requirements for licensure are less stringent, one might be able to parlay an NCU psych PhD into licensure, but I would tread with caution.

    Does NCU offer any coursework in psychometrics or assessment? This is the area of specialization that most distinguishes psychologists from other mental health care providers. I don't see these courses available from NCU.

    And lastly, while NCU may, for all I know, be a wonderful school, coming from a non-APA program poses enough professional hurdles. Coming from a DL without ANY RESIDENCY requirement with the goal of seeking licensure is probably professional suicide.

    Pre-doctoral internship programs at VA sites require that applicants come from APA-approved programs. It's hard to imagine that they would drop this requirement for actual employment. But who knows?
  13. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    Hi Jeremy,
    Thank you for your research.
    I was leaning to Capella and I found that they only have the Masters in Family Counseling that is CACREP accredited. So, any other counseling not and do you think it's hard to than still get that acreditation afterwards?

    Yes, even though I'm interested in Rehab, I would like to be having less restriction and more possibilities in counseling, so, what would be more complete counseling? Because in Capella they differentiate 'general' and 'counseling' psychology. However, I would prefer counseling and give therapy in a way that's less based on the onconsciousness.

    One more thing, yes, you're right, I am very interested in kinesiology and physical, but since I wont be living in the States within the next 10 years, I gave up on that idea. Unless you know a Masters degree in that area, which is completely online. After digging into it, I couldn't find any and thus gave up.

    I'm very grateful for all the additional information I can receive. Thank you.
  14. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    Not just Family Counseling, but also Mental Health counseling is CACREP acredited, so I think I'll go for that one. I hope I'll have some flexibility in jobs with this to start with.
    Any opinions on Fielding?
    I think I could do Capella, because I'd only have to travel to them once a year.
    For the Doctorates, I don't know if anyone knows if the traveling back and forth is do-able?
  15. obecve

    obecve New Member

    I am an associate proferssor of rehabilitation counseling and I am a member of the CRCC board that certifies rehabilitation counselors. I have served as a state director of two different state agencies for vocational rehabilitation. I have been a practicing rehabilitation counselor for more than 25 years and am board certified. With a master's degree I was able to work in several states and had not trouble finding work (including private practice). The master's degree is considered the terminal degree in rehabilitation counseling and in most sattes you can also get licensed as a professional counselor or mental health counselor.

    Now having said all of that, there are at least 16 programs that are approved at the master's degree in rehabilitation counseling that are 100% distance education. My personal favorites are the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (Dr. Larry Dickerson or Dr. Bill Garner are the contacts), The University of North Texas (in Denton, Dr. Rodney Isom is the contact), Texas Tech (in Lubbock, Mr. David Brooks is the contact), Utah State university (not sure of the contact but you could probably get infromation from Dr. Julie Smart) and San Diego State University (Dr. Fred McFarland is a contact). My own university, New Mexico Highlands University has a numbner of internet courses, but is not yet 100% online, although we hope it will be at some point. Hope this is helpful. Feel free to send a private message and I can respond with further details. Rehabilitation counseling is a wonderful filed. There also happens to be a nationaql shortage of practitioners (particularly in state and federal agencies).

    An additional point. Virigina Commonwealth University has a distance Ph.D. in Health services with and emphasis in rehabilitation. It does require two weeks on cmapus each summer. UALR is in the process of developing a distance Ph.D. in rehabilitation wchich could start within the next 18 motnhs or so.
  16. Clapper

    Clapper New Member

    You might also consider a career as an Occupational Therapist (OT).

    Opportunities exist to work with various populations and work settings (e.g., rehabilitation hospitals) and the demand for OTs is great and will only increase as the Baby Boomers creep into old age.

    OTs can make considerably more money than rehab counselors and it's a very portable profession.
  17. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    Hi Clapper,
    Sounds interesting, but I remember looking it up and there must be a reason why I stopped my research. Do you have any suggestions on online universities? Is there also such a limitation on acreditation and all that complication with Psyc?

    Did you get my email, cause the private message did not get accepted. I hope so.

  18. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    Actually, I went back to my research and even though OTherapist is interesting, there's no way 100% online.
    Basically, I set my mind on Rehab Counseling (however, the salaries don't seem so promising, but hey, gotta start somewhere)

    Anyway, I'm looking at the universities suggested by obecve, but
    I seriously doubt it's all 100% online. They all mention field work, so can that be done whereever you live?
    Another thing is that I really was convinced by Capella, because of CACREP and now, how do I know this from the other universities? Will they give the necessary requirements to practice counseling or start own practice.
    I would really like to pick a good one without additional troubles later.

    Any ideas?
  19. obecve

    obecve New Member

    got your email and will respond in depth tomorrow.

    Yes these degrees are 100% on line. You will need a practice expereince, bt in most cases can be arranged wherever you live. This is two 300 hunfred hour supervised experiences
  20. xygirl

    xygirl New Member

    Hello obecve,
    Hope you didn't forget me.

Share This Page