EdS To Get Back Into Ed Technology?

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by jimwe, Sep 19, 2011.

  1. jimwe

    jimwe Member

    Some opinions, please. I was a member of this forum once upon a time, have not been back here for years. In a nutshell, I've been teaching ESL for the last 15+ years. The last 5 have been spent teaching in a public middle school in the EPIK Program in Korea. I finished an MS Ed in Online Teaching and Learning years ago from Cal State Hayward, but never worked in the field. Although I do have a couple of Adobe ACE Certifications in Flash and Captivate. I have an interest, but no experience in the field of Education Technology.

    Coming to the end of 10 years straight of Korea and 5 years of public school, I find myself completely and totally burnt out on ESL. I am considering doing something I considered years ago and did not do. Work on an EdS in Education Technology at Mizzo-Columbia. I'm hoping to find a position when I come back to the USA in the field. I don't have a teaching license, just experience. My question, is am I wasting my time and money doing this?

    I'm taking one class on their "fast track" program. Into to Ed Tech. Not a bad class, and I'm finding out most of what I learned at Cal State is WAY out of date. That's why I'm hoping an EdS will help me find something in a bad economy. Can anyone give me an opinion? Having been out of the USA for years, I can't say I know the market too well. BTW, I'm 52 at the moment. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  2. major56

    major56 Active Member

    If your plan is return to the USA and seek a public school teaching assignment, you may want to initially focus on obtaining a teaching license /certification. In that you already possess a master of education, I don’t believe the additional EdS degree would offer much advantage over your current masters as regards classroom instructional and/or hiring purposes. Moreover without a valid teacher certificate, be it in technology education or whatever, full-time staff teaching opportunities within K-12 public education (e.g., in that you mention you have no licensure as a teacher) will be almost non-existent no matter the state you might seek employment. Open public charter schools could be an optional route; however, the better charter schools also prefer licensed teachers. Consider also that most charter schools don’t pay teachers (even certified) as much as public school districts. And, most states do offer alternative certification programs via college /university or approved private vendors.

    P.S. Is there a particular state you plan to return?
  3. jimwe

    jimwe Member

    Not sure about which state, I'm from Ohio, but don't really don't want to go back there. Maybe North Dakota, SD or thereabouts.
  4. jimwe

    jimwe Member

    BTW, thanks for responding. Appreciate it!
  5. major56

    major56 Active Member

    Re N. Dakota:

    “A person must hold a valid North Dakota license issued by the North Dakota Education Standards and Practices Board in order to be permitted or employed to teach in any public school in this state. No teacher is entitled to receive any compensation for the time the teacher teaches in a public school without a license to teach which lawfully is issued and in force in the county in which the school is taught. Prior to receiving a salary for the first month taught in a school district, a teacher must exhibit the teacher's license to the business manager of the school district (NDCC 15.1-13-18 and NDCC 15-36-12). Non-public schools must employ licensed teachers to be approved and in compliance with compulsory attendance laws.”
    First Time Applicant Information: Licensure: ND ESPB

    Re S. Dakota:
    Teacher Certification - South Dakota Department of Education
    Alternative Certification - South Dakota Department of Education

    50 States’ Certification Requirements:
    50 States' Certification Requirements | Academic Services and Teacher Certification

    Note: California State University-East Bay (formerly Haywood) College of Education is NCATE accredited (re your MSEd in Online Teaching and Learning). Both N. Dakota and S. Dakota have reciprocity agreements as regards NCATE accredited education coursework /degrees. This should be helpful in obtaining an initial teaching certification in either state.

    P.S. In your prior USA public school teaching experience, did you have state licensure as a teacher in Ohio? If so, your previous license may also have reciprocity in North and/or South Dakota (?).
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  6. BrianH

    BrianH Member

    The market stinks. We are cutting jobs. Most states(although North Dakota is doing better than most) are in the midst of a severe budget crunch.
    If I had an educational technology job available, and I am not really sure what that would be, a person who has been in Korea for a lot of years with no experience and no certification is probably not going to get a serious look.
    In our district we have a Director of Technology. She was a successful building principal for 10 plus years. There were about 20 applicants for the job I believe. Lots of building principals and a few computer teachers. A few retirees looking to double dip as well.
    We have a computer teacher. Everyone wants that gig. It is easier than classroom teaching.
    We have a few repair techs at the district level.
    I understand wanting to change but I do not think this will work.
    Brian (elementary principal in real life)
  7. jimwe

    jimwe Member

    Thanks for the honesty. At least I know what the market is like now. That's some brutal truth, but not bloody like it would be if I came back seriously putting some money and time looking for a job!

Share This Page