EdS degree vs. certificate

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by jettafer, Oct 22, 2011.

  1. jettafer

    jettafer New Member

    Hi there
    I was hoping someone might know this -- I have my MA in clinical counseling and am looking into being a school psychologist (EdS degree).
    The grad school I am looking at offers the full EdS degree which is 62 credits including 1 year internship. I could only transfer 20 of my previous credits and may end up taking classes over again. Upon graduation I would be licensed and have an EdS.
    They also offer a licensing certificate in school psych for those who already have a clinical MA. It would be 15 credits plus the year internship. Upon graduation, I would have a certificate the allows me to be licensed in my state.
    The grad school mentions that there is no need to get the full EdS degree, as the certificate gets me the license which is what school districts are more concerned with. Does anyone know if this is true? Would I be on par with other school psychs if I just had my MA with a school psych license?
    thanks for any input..
  2. BrianH

    BrianH Member

    First of all, to let you know why I am even answering, I am a school principal and also spent two years as the special education coordinator (not director) of our school district. I remember we once hired a school psych from Texas. She did not have an Ed.S. but instead had a very long masters program I believe. It made her an oddity among the school psychs...but that does not really matter.
    She had a job and in general school psychs are in high demand and so I would suspect it does not matter that much.
    As far as whether or not it is true, I would call the state department of education and check with them. They will probably send you back to the university but it is worth a try. I would also call all of the other state schools who also offer this kind of program and check and see if they have the same deal.
    If it all checks out and it is true, I would not retake the hours because I think an MA with the appropriate credentials should be fine. The most important thing you will do is make connections during your internship and with some professors. What degree you have, while unusual for being a school psych, will not in my estimation prevent you from having a job.
    Good luck
  3. Shelley Watson

    Shelley Watson New Member

    In our state a six-year specialist degree or any other degrees intermediate between the master's and the doctor's degree is necessary to be a psychologist.
    But these rules vary greatly from state to state. Psychologists are hired by an elected or appointed school board. So it varies from school to school also. I think the following site could help you with your query. Ed.S. Degrees

Share This Page