doctorate in human dietetics/human nutrition

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by muhammad_alhor, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. muhammad_alhor

    muhammad_alhor New Member


    Do you know of a university (with no or short residence requirements) that offer a doctorate in human dietetics/human nutrition and the license to be a dietitian (aka registered dietitian RD)?

    Thank you in advance
  2. Jeremy

    Jeremy New Member you can look up all the approved distance learning programs that lead to RD credentialing. As far as I know none are at teh doctorate level for initial training.

  3. muhammad_alhor

    muhammad_alhor New Member

    Thank you so much.

    I need a PhD (or any doctorate level) program. Could any one help!
  4. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef


    You will need to do them separately. RD license is separate from a degree in dietetics or nutrition. You can take a program (Bachelor and in some cases Master) that does them simultaneously, but they are separate things to obtain and maintain. An RD requires an internship- which you can't apply for without an approved degree. If you want to gain admission in to a PhD nutrition program, you may have a hard time if you don't have your RD or another degree in human nutrition, biology, food science, or chemistry.

    If you have a bachelor or master degree in something that didn't lead to an RD option, you can get your RD by completing a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) which is essentially the classes specific to nutrition. It's +/-30 credits (whether or not you choose to use those credits to complete another degree is up to you- it isn't required) One problem for the distance learner, is that you WILL need to complete your science credits as a lab, and they must be above the 101 (non-science major) level (111/112 or 211/212 for health majors). These online labs exist, but sometimes they have math or science prereqs. For example, my community college requires completion of college algebra in order to enroll in the proper biology course.
    You can do the DPD at a distance through Michigan, and use it to earn another BS or MS, but you'll still need the prereqs before you can apply(there are a few other programs at a distance- not many, I think Colorado has one):

    Also, something to consider, is consumer sciences. I don't know how that relates to your field, but you can earn your RD by using DPD program on the side while you work on your PhD. Iowa state and Purdue have distance consumer sciences PhD.

    Good Luck!
  5. muhammad_alhor

    muhammad_alhor New Member

    Thank you so much cookderosa! I really appreciate your valuable reply.

Share This Page