Designations and Degrees

Discussion in 'Business and MBA degrees' started by adampictor, Aug 27, 2011.

  1. adampictor

    adampictor member

    I plan on pursuing a MAcc instead of an MBA due to my lackluster work experience. I have learned about a few designations in the accounting/finance field from old forum posts here (EA, ACAT, CMA). CPA is a designation I will pursue.

    I'm thinking professional designations would hold more value in my resume than the MAcc. Any one have information/experience with such accounting/finance designations (especially the EA which requires no work experience) in their job search in the work field and even in academia?
  2. RFValve

    RFValve Well-Known Member

    Most schools would require an MBA with 21 upper or graduate credits in accounting and a designation to teach accounting.

    If you have already a designation and 21 upper credits in accounting, all you need is a master's so it could be an MBA, MS or Even a M.Ed. A MAcc would be preferable but not required.
  3. StefanM

    StefanM New Member

    If he gets the CPA credential, it shouldn't matter. A CPA will generally be viewed as having "professional" qualification to teach accounting courses.
  4. RFValve

    RFValve Well-Known Member

    It depends on the school, some schools are really picky about this requirement. Some states do no require 24 upper credits or more in accounting so it is always possible that you have a CPA with no upper level credits. I know that Delaware at some point only required an associates to write the exam so it might be plenty CPAs with no accounting upper credits.
  5. friartuck

    friartuck New Member

    I recommend you take the CPA as soon as you have the required credits. It really is what most employers want. If you're concerned about getting the experience in PA, why don't you see if you can get licensed in another state and then transfer the license to HI if needed? My state doesn't require PA experence, industry is fine. Check this site to see if there are any options available to you:

    Pass The CPA Exam On Your First Attempt!

    The EA is a perfectly fine credential. It can get your foot in the door if you play it close to the vest and don't take the CPA exam yet. I've talked to several CPA's the past few years who have take the EA exam and are letting their certificates lapse so as not to have to put up with BOA BS in multipe jurisdictions. Of course there's the online EA vs. CPA pissing matches but that's just static. If you want to work in tax and you're not a CPA or EA you'll have to take an IRS tax preparation competency exam anyway, might as well go a bit further and take the EA while you're at it. See here for more information:

    Pass The CPA Exam On Your First Attempt!
    TaxAlmanac - A free online tax research resource and community - Discussion:EA vs. CPA exams

    Under both these options, you stand a chance of getting into a PA or tax consulting firm which may offer tuition reimbursement (nearly all large CPA firms do). Your employer may pay for an expensive graduate degree for you! If you're into tax then you might want to do a masters in taxation (Golden Gate, Bentley, Denver, Tulsa)...those are expensive! I know of a guy who did a MBT at the U of M but had a hard time getting on with the Big 4 until he took the CPA exam.

    If you want to network you can do that at the state CPA society or EA group.

Share This Page