Counseling certification

Discussion in 'Nursing and medical-related degrees' started by taraxt, Apr 4, 2011.

  1. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    I've been searching for what seems like forever for a counseling certification. Not a degree in psychology, but something shorter and not as involved. Technically, there are no legal or educational requirements to become a counselor/therapist, but I'd like some sort of certification. Could be general counseling or something specialized, like crisis or addiction counseling.

    Everything I've found is either a degree or by a school that's rather... questionable.

    Any suggestions or ideas on where to look?
  2. eilla05

    eilla05 New Member

    Not sure were your getting your information but there are educational and legal requirements for someone to become a counselor. Educationally speaking most state require 60 graduate credit hours without courses in certain areas in order to become licensed there are a few states that require 48 but those are few and far between anymore. I think you should spend more time finding out what it requires to become a counselor and then make the decision later as it sounds like you are not completely aware of state requirements. Here is a good place to start:

    National Board for Certified Counselors and Affiliates, Inc.
  3. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    Hmmm... No. You're talking about becoming a licensed counselor. I'm talking about the kind of counselor that volunteers to help abused women or in addiction clinics. I know in many states in the US you can become a counselor (this type of counselor I'm mentioning) with just on-the-job training. Again, not a licensed practitioner or anything. Imagine something like a lifestyle coach or similar --You don't need a certification or license for that either.

    Certificate Programs Offered by Christian Leadership University (but this is Christian-based and I'm looking for something not connected with religion)

    Grief & Bereavement Counseling Online Courses - Stonebridge Associated Colleges UK - Distance
  4. Hadashi no Gen

    Hadashi no Gen New Member

    Just tell everyone that you're a Life Coach. You'll make more money than a counselor and have no state licensing requirements or code of ethics to follow! You win! ;)
  5. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    I posted an answer to this early on but it's not showing up (?) In any case, licensing is only required for "true" counselors, who work in fields similar to therapists/psychologists. I'm talking about counseling courses like the ones offered here:

    Add www at the beginning and .html at the end. For some reason I'm now allowed to post complete links.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
  6. airtorn

    airtorn Moderator

  7. Psydoc

    Psydoc New Member

    This will not work in the State of Alabama!
  8. dtc00052

    dtc00052 New Member

  9. Kizmet

    Kizmet Moderator

    OK, but I didn't think that you needed a cert in order to become a volunteer. Do you?
  10. Hadashi no Gen

    Hadashi no Gen New Member

    I'm not sure if anything like that exists. If it does, you would most likely need to go through a certification process involving either a masters degree, graduate certificate, or extensive supervised training. Similar to becoming a drug and alcohol counselor in many states. Also, you should check with your state to make sure that it is legal to market your self as a "counselor" without a license as a mental health/professional counselor, social worker, psychologist, member of clergy, etc.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  11. Hadashi no Gen

    Hadashi no Gen New Member

    Way to go Alabama!
  12. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    ETA: double post
  13. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    You don't, but I would like to get one anyway.
  14. Hadashi no Gen

    Hadashi no Gen New Member

    If you are going to be a volunteer counselor, most organizations will have their own certification and training process for you to go through. A common example are emergency counseling hot lines. I recommend contacting whoever you would like to volunteer for in order to find out what they require.
  15. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    I'm moving to Europe in a few months. I've talked to a few organizations there and I was asked if I had experience or a certification. When I said "neither," one of the organizations recommended I took a "counseling course." Long story why/how/etc. but I still would like to take one. I understand the pros and cons of taking a course of this kind over the internet. I still want to locate one.
  16. major56

    major56 Active Member

    University of the Pacific: Substance Abuse Counselor Certificate
    Substance Abuse Counselor Certificate Program - University of the Pacific

    Bellevue College: Certification as a Chemical Dependency Professional (CDP)
    Alcohol & Drug Counseling Certificate Requirements - Bellevue College

    University of South Dakota: Undergraduate and Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Studies
    Online Certificates in Alcohol & Drug Studies - USD

    Union College: Chemical Dependency Certificate
    Chemical Dependency Certification | Union College Online | Union College Online

    UMass-Boston: Addictions Counselor Education Program Certificate
    UMass Boston | Programs in Addictions Counselor Education | Addictions Counselor Education Certificate

    University of North Carolina Online (East Carolina University): Certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling
    University of North Carolina Online: Substance Abuse/Addiction Counseling - Graduate Certificate program

    University of Cincinnati: Graduate Certificate in Substance Abuse Prevention
    Substance Abuse Prevention « School of Human Services

    University of the West Indies: Certificate in Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment
  17. taraxt

    taraxt New Member

    Thank you! This is exactly what I needed!

  18. mattiberry85

    mattiberry85 New Member

    As a licensed counselor, I have significant issues with individuals without licenses and appropriate education "deeming" themselves as a counselor. There are several, non-legit, for profit certifications for individuals who wants to pretend to be counselors. Some states do allow unlicensed counselors to obtain certification is chemical dependency counseling- so you may want to check with your state on this.

    If you want to be a counselor, you will need to complete a masters and obtain a clinical license- anything else, you are a life coach.

Share This Page