BS in Education degees - cheap

Discussion in 'Education, Teaching and related degrees' started by Randell1234, Sep 27, 2008.

  1. Randell1234

    Randell1234 Moderator Staff Member

    Does anyone know of any cheap BS in Education degrees? My niece is in NJ and has about 40 credits from CC's and wants to earn her degee online to teach. Any suggestions?
  2. -kevin-

    -kevin- Resident Redneck


    I'll keep looking but any teaching degree will have to be approved from the state she wants to teach in. My recommendation would be to get a degree with a solid major and then look for a Masters program that will allow for certification (seems to be a number of those). Can you be more specific as to whether elementary, secondary, special ed, etc...

    In addition, the internship requirement will be difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish via DL.

    She might also want to talk to the education board as many have special programs for certification via special means due to the teacher shortage.

    I'm sorry for the lack of more help at this point.
  3. -kevin-

    -kevin- Resident Redneck

  4. Randell1234

    Randell1234 Moderator Staff Member

    Thanks - she want to teach elementary ed. I would think with the teaching shortage, you could get any degree and pass a "certification" exam to teach.
  5. TCord1964

    TCord1964 New Member

  6. mattbrent

    mattbrent Active Member

    With all due respect, NCATE accreditation means squat. The US is so hard up for teachers, they'll hire people who don't even have licenses, let alone people with licenses obtained from schools without this accreditation. The KEY is to be state-approved. I would assume, however, that all NCATE accredited programs are state-approved.

    My undergrad institution, a brick and mortar school, which offers an MAT, has been churning out teachers for years and doesn't have NCATE accreditation. It really doesn't make a difference.

  7. -kevin-

    -kevin- Resident Redneck

    I should have put the sentence in quotes since it is directly from the link above. My mistake.

Share This Page