Big news

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by cookderosa, Apr 27, 2014.

  1. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef

    I think what you're asking is if I'll be eligible to call myself a nutritionist, and the answer is no. For people interested in private practice or clinical dietetics, an ACEND program is essential. Most states have strict laws that govern most medical practice, and an RD is most closely like practicing nursing, etc. and requires state licensing. The program I completed is "for" registered dietitians essentially who needed a master's degree (kinda like MSN). However, I petitioned admission and used my sciences that I'd been taking for premed/prenursing options which was enough. My career is still culinary arts. So, my professional certification aspirations are only culinary related. I taught a course called Culinary Nutrition in an AAS program for 18 years, however, wasn't qualified to teach it in our new home town due to how this school classifies the credit. In this school it's part of a bachelor's program under "Arts and Science" so if I wanted to teach nutrition HERE, I had to have a master's in the degree was a perfect fit for me.
    For people who want degrees in nutrition, you have to be careful to look for science based programs as opposed to "wellness" based programs, which contain a whole lotta wooo.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Rich Douglas

    Rich Douglas Well-Known Member

    Very nice.
  3. Koolcypher

    Koolcypher Member


    Stay hungry for more, oh and btw, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Delta

    Delta Active Member

    Perhaps not eligible for a license but you still may be able eligible to test for a national certification in nutrition.

    Eligibility Requirements for the CNS® Credential - Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists

    NASM Credentials | Corrective Exercise Specialist | Performance Enhancement Specialist | Fitness Nutrition Specialist
  5. Delta

    Delta Active Member

    Another thing, is the NPI taxonomy defines a Nutritionist as,
    "A specialist in adapting and applying food and nutrient knowledge to the solution of food and nutritional problems, the control of disease, and the promotion of health. Nutritionists perform research, instruct groups and individuals about nutritional requirements, and assist people in developing meal patterns that meet their nutritional needs; (2) A nutritionist is someone who has completed undergraduate and/or graduate training in the discipline of nutrition without necessarily meeting the academic and experience requirements to qualify for the Registered Dietitian designation. Source: (1) Rhea, Ott, and Shafritz, The Facts On File Dictionary of Health Care Management, New York: Facts On File Publications, 1988."

    WPC References

    My guess is that you may be eligible for a NPI number. I don't know the job market for nutritionists nor do I know the regulations for your State in the area of research or educational nutrition but it is worth looking into.

    Nutritionist - 133N00000X [definition]
    Nutrition, Education - 133NN1002X [definition]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  6. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef


    Thanks for posting those, they may be helpful to someone reading this thread. Not a fit for me, but I appreciate you sharing them. I have a person in mind to forward those onto.
  7. cookderosa

    cookderosa Resident Chef

    Yeah, I have no interest in telling people how to eat lol. I'd make a crappy nutritionist!
  8. CavTrooper

    CavTrooper New Member

    Congrats!!! That's so awesome - Now that you've reached "the top," relax and enjoy the view!
  9. PilgrimPastor

    PilgrimPastor New Member

    The adjustment to having no paper to write is a toughy, I've been yet unsuccessful at discontinuing studies!
  10. RAM PhD

    RAM PhD Member

  11. Simurgh

    Simurgh New Member


    Great Job Jennifer! Wish you luck on your future :)

Share This Page