Associates degree after two years at a state school NJ

Discussion in 'General Distance Learning Discussions' started by Hille, Aug 19, 2018.

  1. Hille

    Hille Active Member

    Good Morning.

    I am trying to give ideas to someone who has left a state school after two years for financial reason. This students is looking for the lowest cost way to transcript his credits elsewhere for an Associates degree. TESU would be an obvious choice but there might be a more budget friendly school elsewhere. His school does not offer an Associates. I am exploring the idea financially of RCBC but have not come to any conclusions.

    Ideas appreciated.
  2. Gabe F.

    Gabe F. Member

    I would encourage this person to explore transferring to any of the Big 3 - Edison, Excelsior, or Charter Oak. Have the schools do a transcript evaluation and then ask the person to inquire about ways to complete any remaining course requirements - StraighterLine, CLEP, the school's own in-house exams, etc.
  3. Lerner

    Lerner Well-Known Member

    It's not sufficient to count the years, it's the type of the credit that is important. For Associates degree, I know someone who left the University of Arizona and now completing degree almost tuition free at local state community college. So local community colleges can be explored.
    The big 3 is a good place to start as mentioned earlier but they may be pricier than community colleges, they do have the most flexible credit transfer policies.
    At times the type of accreditation and the major needs to be examined as well.
    Excelsior college has very liberal credit transfer policy as the other two COSC and TESU so these are the two routes to consider.
    Some states provide grants for students to attend colleges, in California I think they call it Cal grant and it could be full tuition for the state university.
    So did they explore financial aid etc?
  4. Stanislav

    Stanislav Well-Known Member

  5. Hille

    Hille Active Member

    Good Morning and thank you.
    Although this might cost more it may be a quicker way to get an Associates Degree. Our local CC requires 11 credits from their school to complete the degree. This is RCBC, a great school with links to a Nursing School and Medical School.
    I will let you know how the above falls into place.
  6. Hille

    Hille Active Member

    I called Pierpont and asked specifically about costs. There is currently no application or graduation fee for the BOG Associates. Credits can be from an out of state school. The advisor suggested filling in any gaps with Straighterline. This could be the best find I have seen. Thanks Stanislav. Graduation is three times a year. I personally know three people who dropped out after 2 years and am going to suggest it to them.

  7. Hille

    Hille Active Member

    Good Morning.

    Friend one is just starting the Pierpont Process. You need to call for the BOG AAS application. I will update as progress is made.

  8. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    Depending on the credits they earned during those two years, they might be so close to an associates at one of the big three it might be foolish to go anywhere else and lose something in the transfer. Or, they might need a lot more coursework just to get an associates.

    I have a friend who has made a good career in sales without a bachelors. He's starting to come up against a wall. I was clear with him that I can help him map out a degree plan, but I need to see his transcripts first. "I did three years at this school" doesn't tell me anything. And it's very possible for a person to spend many years at a four year school without earning enough upper division credits to bring them meaningfully closer to a degree.

    The problem with filling in gaps with non-credit options is that it may shoot your friend in the foot when they go back for a bachelors unless they are willing to see the degree through at one of the Big Three. TESU accepts ACE and NCCRS. I don't know what Rutgers would do with those same credits, however. So if your friend wants to finish a degree at Rutgers, filling up an associates with non-traditional credits may not help them.

    I understand the desire to just get an associates to show those two years of schooling. However, a holistic approach is probably the healthiest way forward here. Looking at the associates in a vacuum can cause more problems in the future.
  9. Hille

    Hille Active Member

    Good Morning.
    Thanks for your feedback. The friend is looking for a quick Associates for a large pay raise. I am doubtful that she will proceed with a four year degree. I am a grad of TESU as well as two additional family members. It has served us well. This Board of Governors AAS can fit in a certain niche for pensionable pay raises in state and local government. It is all where you are in your life.
  10. Neuhaus

    Neuhaus Well-Known Member

    It is in part where you are in your life. It is also in part as to where you may go in the future.

    Not pursuing a four year degree today is one thing. Saying that you will never do it and therefore avoiding simple steps you can take today is a bigger gamble.

    We have a little philosophy in HR:

    1. Everyone is replaceable.
    2. Any organization, agency or company can have layoffs
    3. Earn the qualifications you need while things are going well not "when you need them." It's too late then.
    4. Professional obsolescence is real and it can sneak up on you unless you are constantly vigilant
    5. "I'm all set" is a fine attitude to have if you are five years out from retirement and everything is looking good. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for a problem down the road.

    Good luck to your friend. That large pay raise will probably move her up a rung on Maslow's hierarchy. Just remind her to keep an eye on that next step, whatever it is.

Share This Page